Turn on thread page Beta

Why do relationships require physical intimacy? watch

Announcements

I really don't understand why sexual contact is a requirement when in a relationship.

I'm an asexual male; and my last girlfriend pretty much left me because I wouldn't do anything sexual with her. I just didn't see the appeal of it, and didn't think it would be a problem since girls don't really have a sex drive.

Why can't a relationship exist without sex?

ReputationRep:
    It can exist - but a relationship without sex is merely a friendship.

You're asexual; you don't have sexual desires. WE do, we don't understand how you can not see the appeal of it tbh.
    I dunno, it brings you closer, imagine being so close to someone that you're a part of them.

Girls do have a sex drive.

ReputationRep:
    How boring will your life be. That's like saying i'm never going to leave my home. You'll miss out on one of the best things ever.

Plus Bet £20 you **** 5 times a day.

ReputationRep:
    Well, there has to be some physical intimacy or how is it any different to a really good friendship? I dunno, I just feel attraction to doing physical stuff at my core. I am nothing but a mammal after all, and I cannot override my mammalian wants.

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It can exist - but a relationship without sex is merely a friendship.
    But what about a married couple that never have sex? Surely that is not merely a Friendship.

I dunno, it brings you closer, imagine being so close to someone that you're a part of them.
    I just threw up in my mouth a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really don't understand why sexual contact is a requirement when in a relationship.

I'm an asexual male; and my last girlfriend pretty much left me because I wouldn't do anything sexual with her. I just didn't see the appeal of it, and didn't think it would be a problem since girls don't really have a sex drive.

Girls do have a sex drive.

A relationship without any physical intimacy is also known as a platonic friendship.

Question asked, question answered.

ReputationRep:

are you an idiot?

because people wanna **** for ***** sake...

ReputationRep:
    But what about a married couple that never have sex? Surely that is not merely a Friendship.
    Yeah, but how many married couples are there who never have sex? :eyebrow: Old couples, yeah, but pretty much all young couples are at it like rabbits for a few years at least.

At the thought of sex..?

ReputationRep:

yeah. those married couples that'll be be like "i'm having the house *****, and you can take your damn dog...etc" :woo: :eek3: :yep:

ReputationRep:

so wot is it that u do want in a relationship?

ReputationRep:

:yikes: Are you serious? Of course we do!

Physical intimacy is what separates a relationship from friendship - it brings you closer together as a couple.

ReputationRep:
    I simply don't get your and your asexuality...

are you a plant? :woo: :eek3: :yep:

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, but how many married couples are there who never have sex?
    I dare say they exist.

At the thought of sex..?
    I guess so...since I am asexual.

ReputationRep:
    didn't think it would be a problem since girls don't really have a sex drive.
    Big mistake. Massive. Huge.

How in God's name did you come to that conclusion???? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    I simply don't get your and your asexuality...

are you a plant? :woo: :eek3: :yep:
    my thoughts exactly!

ReputationRep:
    They can exist, it's just difficult to find someone who doesn't want sex in a relationship.

I'm asexual too. I'm not really bothered about having a relationship at the moment but one day I think I'd like to. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

I think it's difficult for a lot of people to understand.

And girls do have a sex drive:p:

ReputationRep:
    This is quite bizarre.... It is as if you are soooullll-less!

1) Girls do have a sex drive.
    2) Married couples do have sex. The ones that don't probably have relationship issues.
    3) Sex is a natural instinct for most people. It is needed to survive and replicate.

Also, you can't be asexual. Asexual = Self fertilisaiton (sex with self).

ReputationRep:
    I dare say they exist.
    It's highly unusual though.

I guess so...since I am asexual.
    Well I'm not.

10 months and counting... ¬_¬

(Original post by Buster_Bunny)
    so wot is it that u do want in a relationship?
    Anything except sex really.

ReputationRep:
    Anything except sex really.
    ahh right...
    personally i cant see a relationship without 'physical intimacy'
    so would u do anything with a gf/bf?
    ie, kissing, holding hands, oral?

edit: sorry if i seem stupid, asexuality is new to me!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.