help on a celeb culture essay? Watch

This discussion is closed.
bigmouth1414
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
The Celebrity Culture
Today we live in a culture which is highly obsessed with the celebrities ,they play a large role in the lives of individual whether subconsciously award of this or not!
Broadcasting, recording and film industries created a market for celebrity culture
The media generated fame and became popular and celebrity were able to broach all cultural levels.
The modern mass media has increased the exposure and power of celebrity.
Also the media has an increasing effect on day to day, lives of celebrity’s and icons.
Television and film are certainly popular cultural forms they have constructed a form of differentiation that resonates categories of high culture and middle brow culture.

A celebrity is a person who is widely recognized in a society. Fame is one prerequisite for celebrity status, but not always sufficient. Defining the concept of celebrity and fame is usually connected to achievements, talent and wealth.
Fame brings with it all the media baggage , the gossip and celebrity life!
But you do not have to have any achievements or talent to be famous.

For example Liz Hurley is “famous for being famous”
I think this quote by Daniel Boorstin represents her, as she’s famous for being linked to Hugh Grant and wearing the safety pin dress, by Versace. Who is also credited with indirectly launching her career, after lending her the safety pin dress. As after the film premiere in 1994 , it was just the beginning of her career as a model and actress and continuously being in the public eye.
The image above is of Liz Hurley wearing the safety pin dress at the film premiere. When she caught the public attention by wearing the dress. Which I think it oozes sex appeal, ,style and glamour.

Celebrity carries with it enormous social capital that is high regard after some individuals .
As high paying jobs and other social perks are unavailable to most people . But are all really available to celebrities. Even if they work is not connected to their talent that made them famous.
For example David Beckham is one of the most popular and highest paid athletes in the world. Celebrity stardom to become a man worshiped both on and off the field. He s a megastar , a tabloid favourite , and a style icon married to a glamorous pop star called Victoria Beckham .
He’s celebrity for his sporting achievements but then he receive high speaking fees, goes to public appearances e.g. Music awards, film premiere , book signing etc.

Donatella Versace has successfully taken the company Versace into the 21st century , where the dresses continue to appear and dresses to make up the Hollywood celebrities.
Donatella came up with the idea of using well- know models for the catwalk shows, as knowing that it would generate more media interest than a normal catwalk show!
Supermodels Naomi Campbell and Cindy Crawford made their name , by taking part in a Versace advertisement campaign. Other celebrities to celebrate their celebrity status by wearing Versace garments have includes Elton John, Madonna, Liz Hurley and Jennifer Lopez.
But I think that celebrities wear Versace garments as they get given the garments for free! As if the right celebrity wears the garment , then their fans will go out and buy the similar product just to be like they idol.
So its like Versace uses the celebrities as free advertisement and the celebrity will gain be the getting more of media interest and fan base.

A celebrities can come to represent anything, for their fame and ability to reach a large audiences . That makes them a good source to the public for example to find out the latest trend or style !
But in most cases the victims of media culture who exploits their status

celebrities attract not only the fans but also the companies and corporations who always desire exposure.
Often celebrities cannot escape the public eye and risk being stalked by fans and papazzi .
celebrity culture has seen the rise of several formation they include Pop Idol , Fame Academy and Big Brother , reality TV thrives on free publicity. Andy Warhol predicted that “the day will come when every one will be famous for 15 minutes “ and it seems like it appearing that it’s the time now ! Due to the popular in reality television.

Big brother was developed in the Netherlands and it exported to twenty other countries. Big Brother makes no pretences of searching for exceptional or talented individuals. Instead , it exploits the idea that anyone can be turned into a celebrity.
For example Jade Goody was a contestant, not the winner! On Big Brother 2.
Daniel boorstin classic definition of the celebrity as someone who is ‘famous for being famous’ does not being to describe Jade. She is ‘famous for have been made famous.’ she is the product of new fascination with the mechanism that makes celebrity function.
Peach
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Do you just want this corrected, or do you need more ideas?
bigmouth1414
sum more ideas plz
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How about the social impact celebrities have had on the public?

--Role Models

--How they became 'celebrities'

errm.....
unfinished sympathy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What course is this essay for? Is it for media studies? because i am thinking about doing it next year for as-level, any recommendations?
saiyamanadingdongbanana
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yes, for which course??

If only it were psychology, i could help more
Enola
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
How many of these threads do you have??
Anyway I posted this in the one in the entertainment forum.

If this is for media studies then I guess you could look at the theory of the star system??

http://www.theory.org.uk/ctr-role.htm
http://www.mediaknowall.com/Starsgcse/starnotes.html
http://www.mediaknowall.com/Starsgcse/stardomnotes.html

hope that helps?
Peach
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You could also look at if we have moved into a so called 'celebrity culture', why has it happened now i.e. why, as there have always been famous people, has there not always been a 'celebrity culture'? What has changed? Is it the media's influence....fashion...etc

Also, could I just add that you should never put in exclamation marks into an essay (I don't know if the above is just your first draft, but thought I'd just mention it )
bigmouth1414
nope its not a media essay!
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can I recomend the following website

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...10/ai_n8724502 I used this for my uni major earlier this term.
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I htink you are missing the point that Celebrity is something culturally constructed by society and "fame" occures through mass exposure from new media outlets. In saying Liz Hurly is famous for being famous you need to define fame and how it effects the subject.

This article i have shown you will highlight the process behind what constructs celebrity.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1065)
79.01%
Leave (283)
20.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise