GCSE Maths grade boundaries. Have they changed? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Veritas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I just found out that GCSE Maths grade boundaries (higher), are far higher than they used to be. This cant be right:

A* = 90%
A =80%
B =70%
C =60%

Is this really right.

Source http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-3302-WRE-Nov04.pdf
manps
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by thinktank)
I just found out that GCSE Maths grade boundaries (higher), are far higher than they used to be. This cant be right:

A* = 90%
A =80%
B =70%
C =60%

Is this really right.

Source http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-3302-WRE-Nov04.pdf
These are the UMS boundaries. They stay the same every year.
Veritas
Rep:
?
what does that mean
IZZY!
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
means the summation of cwk and exam marks together.
NC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is this the same for Edexcel (1387A)?

What do I need to get to get an A? If 20% is Coursework (I got 16%) what do I need in the exam?
gemgems89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That cant be right. In the mock they used the figures from last year and it was like 60% for an A and much lower for a C. The grades dont stay the same because it depends on how well everyone does.
manps
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by gemgems89)
That cant be right. In the mock they used the figures from last year and it was like 60% for an A and much lower for a C. The grades dont stay the same because it depends on how well everyone does.
thats completely right
Mazraz
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The grade boundaries change every year but they are nowhere near as high as you suggest i am sur of it- its something like 50% for a c really not that hard even for maths dunces like me
Ste
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That is AQA.

Edexcel is FAR different to that.
anthony
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Now Now everyone is getting into a right mood over this.... I am doing Edexcel (Higher) for Mathematics and for the final exams LAST YEAR believe it or not... 29/63 was A* thats less than 50% because the paper was so difficult. 22 was A, 17 was B and 9 was C! You have to be a foundation student to not get a C! So really you have nothing to worry about. However, it was last years and this year could change considerably. Ant
kellywood_5
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
AQA must have easier exams but higher grade boundaries because Edexcel is way lower than that! I got a B and there is no way in hell I got 70%- I think about 20-30%!
anthony
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Probably though i'd rather have edexcel than aqa.... Lower grade boundaries always make me though unusually, on the final certificate even if you got 50% it will say 90/90... odd but sick eh?
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by anthony)
Probably though i'd rather have edexcel than aqa.... Lower grade boundaries always make me though unusually, on the final certificate even if you got 50% it will say 90/90... odd but sick eh?
Hmm, not sure which I'd prefer. I did Edexcel higher last year and it was bloody hard, especially the non-calculator paper. It might have been nice to do an easy exam, but then if you make a lot of silly mistakes it might cost you a decent grade, whereas with Edexcel you know you're practically guaranteed a C as long as you can get the easier questions right. That's because they change it from raw marks into UMS marks.
kiaora
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
seriously, EDEXCEL, it was about 45% of the raw total marks for an A, so maybe 60% or less for an A*?
Veritas
Rep:
?
Come on, be fair. Yes AQA exams may be easier, but not that much easier. I defy anybody to say that this is rediculously easy:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-m...W-QP-Jun04.pdf.

i would compare it with an edexel one, but there website does not provide students with past exam papers.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're right, that does look pretty similar to an Edexcel paper. Maybe a bit easier, but not much. There should be a specimen paper on the Edexcel website if you want to take a look.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No matter what exam board you join, the papers will be similar.
WantA*
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
No matter what exam board you join, the papers will be similar.
I agree, this is always the case.
Ste
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You can't write on lines like that for maths

Shame on AQA !!!
Veritas
Rep:
?
Come on, be fair. Yes AQA exams may be easier, but not that much easier. I defy anybody to say that this is rediculously easy:

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/gcse/qp-...-W-QP-Jun04.pdf.

i would compare it with an edexel one, but there website does not provide students with past exam papers.

Can I just add to my earlier post. This is just module 5 which I am taking in about 3 weeks. I have already done module 1 and 3 (2 &4 coursework), so there is even more course content.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Derby
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evening - Derby Campus Postgraduate
    Tue, 22 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1491)
79.6%
Leave (382)
20.4%

Watched Threads