Physio Useful Info Watch

JackieS
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by shoiab)
How come that site doesnt cover all counties

Does you know of any other sites which advertise NHS jobs (i.e physio assistants) ??
what counties are missing? Sometimes they get bunged together

I cant think of any others

what you could do is type

"Physiotherapy assistant job vacancies 2006" into google and you'll get stuff up like that as some trusts don't use tht website and instead use their own
shoiab
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
well..there's the South Yorkshire region (sheffield) so i was looking for the West Yorkshire region (huddersfield and Leeds)
JackieS
Rep:
?
well..there's the South Yorkshire region (sheffield) so i was looking for the West Yorkshire region (huddersfield and Leeds)
just search all regions just incase is been pt in somewhere - google should deffo get you some resuts
JackieS
Rep:
?
Right all you physio students - heres a neuro question for ya! Our lecturer gave us a little quiz to do and on the questions is
1. Where is the motor strip?

Am I right in thinking that this is the same as the pre-central gyrus as this is the motor cortex........?
rugby_gal
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
I've never heard this terminology but I'd guess it would be I can't think where else it would be!

I'd answer, in pre-central gyrus, frontal lobe
JackieS
Rep:
?
(Original post by rugby_gal)
I've never heard this terminology but I'd guess it would be I can't think where else it would be!

I'd answer, in pre-central gyrus, frontal lobe
thats wot I thougt!
danni_bella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by embrace)
can anyone work as an assiant if your over 18? or do you have to have a degree in something? also is there how do you find the jbs, is there a website or anything? i was just wondering as i from feb i've gpt quite alot of freetime and was going to work ( part time in debenhams )to save up money for uni but would be intersted to do something physio related as it would be more relveant than working in a shop!
I know what you mean!

Hope you get the job you're after, I'm sure you will and yeah JackieS defo gave you some good advice there about not saying you'll be leaving so soon

I would recommend hinting to any organisation in health care you could be working for, that you INTEND to be loyal and work there for a long time :cool:
JackieS
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey guys

In abid to avoid revision I have spent part of the day updating the course requirements section of this list for 2007 entry. No major chances except that Cardiff have upped their course requirements from ABB to AAB - and some uni's now have GCSE requirements.

Hopefully this will help those applying in 2007

POst any questions here
shoiab
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
thanks 4 updating the thread Jackie

woah...the requirements for Cardiff is certainly going to separate out the best from the good in terms of academics. and you get some people doing medicine or other courses saying how less competitive it is compared to their courses...what a joke!!

its a shame the uni's operating the 'lottery' style selection procedures are not going to change any time soon. lol
JackieS
Rep:
?

woah...the requirements for Cardiff is certainly going to separate out the best from the good in terms of academics. and you get some people doing medicine or other courses saying how less competitive it is compared to their courses...what a joke!!

its a shame the uni's operating the 'lottery' style selection procedures are not going to change any time soon. lol
yup!

Oh - the other big change is that Cardiff have closed heir 2 year accelerated undergraduate degree. It used to run a 3 yr and 2 yr but the two year has now closed!
JackieS
Rep:
?

yup!

Oh - the other big change is that Cardiff have closed heir 2 year accelerated undergraduate degree. It used to run a 3 yr and 2 yr but the two year has now closed!

And intake at Ulster for the pre-reg 2 year is still suspended according to the webste. So make sure you contact the uni before applying if you're interested
Otter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Is there anyone out there who is currently doing the accelerated MSc physiotherapy course?

Im looking into doing physio when I graduate in 2009 and any info anyone can give me would be appreciated.
JackieS
Rep:
?
(Original post by Otter)
Is there anyone out there who is currently doing the accelerated MSc physiotherapy course?

Im looking into doing physio when I graduate in 2009 and any info anyone can give me would be appreciated.
there are a couple that post on here but the nature of the course means they don't have much spare time and thus post very irregularly. I applied for MSc entry so might be able to answer any questions you have
!LJ!
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Otter)

hi there, jackies right, we are busy !!!

I'm on the MSc at southampton uni. started it in Jan 06.

LJ
ScattyMadam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Isn't it also worth pointing out that there's a MASSIVE job crisis regarding Physiotherapy within the NHS? I've spoken to so many graduates that have taken employment at Tesco after finding themselves facing interviews, where there has been around 500 applicants for a single post. People should be wary about committing themselves to a three year course and potentially facing debt, as there's not the same 'guarantee of employment' there used to be.
...anyway, just a thought.
jinglepupskye
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ScattyMadam)
Isn't it also worth pointing out that there's a MASSIVE job crisis regarding Physiotherapy within the NHS? I've spoken to so many graduates that have taken employment at Tesco after finding themselves facing interviews, where there has been around 500 applicants for a single post. People should be wary about committing themselves to a three year course and potentially facing debt, as there's not the same 'guarantee of employment' there used to be.
Surely one benefit of doing a course like physiotherapy is the potential to work in the private sector as well as the nhs? There is also the potential to work overseas even straight after graduation. It is unreasonable , in the current nhs climate, to expect to walk into an nhs job straight after training.

Having said that I do believe that all physio graduates should automatically progress onto a two-year nhs contract where they would have rotations in the specialities and gain experience for more senior jobs. It is a complete waste of nhs money to train people whether for physio or any other nhs role and then dump them when they qualify.
ScattyMadam
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
...Oh right, I was actually told that graduates require experience within the NHS before being elligible to work abroad or privately.
...I really should learn to be quiet and get my facts straight.
-- Ignore me --
jinglepupskye
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
...Oh right, I was actually told that graduates require experience within the NHS before being elligible to work abroad or privately.
...I really should learn to be quiet and get my facts straight.
-- Ignore me --
It would depend on the job being advertised and the country in question. Some areas of foreign countries have a shortage of applicants and in that case even a newly qualified physio would be accepted if it was for an entry level post. Obviously if the native population don't want to work in that area there may be reasons why a UK graduate might be reluctant to work there as well!

I know that New Zealand may take a newly qualified graduate but it won't be in the main centres of population and there would have to be a shortage of home grown applicants before you would be considered. But it would be a possibility.

I have checked the CSP website and can see nothing that says you are not allowed to practice privately straight after graduation and so far as working abroad is concerned it only 'advises' that you should do two years rotations in the nhs before going abroad. My own view is that if there are no places in this country to do rotations and another country has vacancies to do them, it would be stupid to sit on your thumb just dreaming and waiting for a suitable vacancy to turn up.

I know that if I can't get a job in this country following graduation, I will just go to wherever will have me regardless of where in the world it is. The alternative of working full time in a shop or office isn't going to happen. If the nhs is daft enough to pay a fortune to train me and then not give me a job then the only option left is to say, well thanks for the training, I'm off!
JackieS
Rep:
?
you're right, there is a jobs crisis. But the skills you will learn as a physio can still be put into place a few years after your degree.........................w hat about those doctors that are struggling for posts? Thats a 5 year commitment. At the end of the day if physio is what you really want to doI think its totally worth it/. If you can't get a job when you graduate then you can still do courses and voluntary work which will help you keep your skills up and therefore will still keep you competent for jobs as and when they arise
JackieS
Rep:
?
(Original post by jinglepupskye)
It would depend on the job being advertised and the country in question. Some areas of foreign countries have a shortage of applicants and in that case even a newly qualified physio would be accepted if it was for an entry level post. Obviously if the native population don't want to work in that area there may be reasons why a UK graduate might be reluctant to work there as well!

I know that New Zealand may take a newly qualified graduate but it won't be in the main centres of population and there would have to be a shortage of home grown applicants before you would be considered. But it would be a possibility.

I have checked the CSP website and can see nothing that says you are not allowed to practice privately straight after graduation and so far as working abroad is concerned it only 'advises' that you should do two years rotations in the nhs before going abroad. My own view is that if there are no places in this country to do rotations and another country has vacancies to do them, it would be stupid to sit on your thumb just dreaming and waiting for a suitable vacancy to turn up.

I know that if I can't get a job in this country following graduation, I will just go to wherever will have me regardless of where in the world it is. The alternative of working full time in a shop or office isn't going to happen. If the nhs is daft enough to pay a fortune to train me and then not give me a job then the only option left is to say, well thanks for the training, I'm off!
As Jingle[pupskye says you don't have to work in the NHS after you qualify. There is absolutely nothing stopping you nfrom going and woring in the pricate sector the minute you graduate. I know someone who graudated and automatically starting work a championshipfootball club - shehadn't done a sigle NHS rotation. Wether it is such a wise idea to go straight into the private sector is another question altogether but if its all you can get and the NHS don't have anything then people would be stupid not to.

Also as Jinglepupskye says it dpeneds totallyt on the job. Some places will accept graudates generally because they're cheaper than a physio with lots of experience but it totally varies from post to psot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (16)
94.12%
No (1)
5.88%

Watched Threads