Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How hard is it to get into LSE for Management?
    Ive just sent my applications does that mean I have a lower chance of getiing in compared to ones sent of earlier?
    Also is there anyone who has already been given offers for this course or got offers last year????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb85)
    Ive just sent my applications does that mean I have a lower chance of getiing in compared to ones sent of earlier?
    Also is there anyone who has already been given offers for this course or got offers last year????????

Go onto the LSE site for the course, it will have the ratio of aplicants to places.. i would suspect around 15-1. Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mb85)
    LSE is one of the hardest unis to get into......51% of applications they accept are from overseas. Loads of ppl get into Oxbridge and get rejected by LSE. They believe in fairness, so it doesn't matter if u've applied late. They don't start making offers like offer unis do until they've received all applications, and so u won't hear from them till really late i.e March. but if u get rejected, they reject u early.

ReputationRep:
    there's something i don't understand about this:
    BSc Management (LSE)
    Usual standard offer: GCE A level: grades A B B
    Applications 2002: 1359
    First year students 2002: 59

Why is their standard offer ABB if the Applicant:First yr students is 23:1

Why don't they ask for AAA ? i'm sure there's plenty of people with grades better than "ABB" who apply there to do this course!

anyone know why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    BSc Management (LSE)

Why don't they ask for AAA ? i'm sure there's plenty of people with grades better than "ABB" who apply there to do this course!

anyone know why?

hmmm...as a former student there, I have absolutely no explanation Weeeelll, in an attempt to be helpful, er....the only thing that I can suggest is that it's recognition of the fact that many with lesser A level grades are/can make better potential students for them. Although, the comical element is that they don't actually interview, so.....just wondering how they decide on it! Perhaps they believe they are able to pick up on this from the personal statement! Who knows? I have known very strange scenerio's with LSE. There have been quite a few where very very well qualified people are rejected and others who merely match the suggested offer are accepted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    LSE is one of the hardest unis to get into......51% of applications they accept are from overseas. Loads of ppl get into Oxbridge and get rejected by LSE. They believe in fairness, so it doesn't matter if u've applied late. They don't start making offers like offer unis do until they've received all applications, and so u won't hear from them till really late i.e March. but if u get rejected, they reject u early.
    hmm......where did u get the 51% of applicants they accept are from overseas........???????????????? ???????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matouwah)
    hmm......where did u get the 51% of applicants they accept are from overseas........???????????????? ???????????
    ahh why are you so surprised? It's true and even higher for postgrad's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    ahh why are you so surprised? It's true and even higher for postgrad's.
    Coz it sounds very good for me....i am an international overseas student.....is it the same for all unis...including oxford....for overseas undergrads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    BSc Management (LSE)

anyone know why?

they don't ask for AAA.....but they said at the open day that they don't consider u unless u achieved AAB or sometimes AAA at AS level depending on which course.

ReputationRep:

it's a fact.....i can't remember where i read it, it must be in the prospectus or they said at open day. if u don't believe me.....e-mail them. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    it's a fact.....i can't remember where i read it, it must be in the prospectus or they said at open day. if u don't believe me.....e-mail them. lol
    probably would need an email from LSE to convince me its true,.....lol
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    http://www.ucas.ac.uk/figures/fps/ads.html#instsubj

The numbers for 2002

It's more like 32% applications and 38% acceptances (unless you include EU students as overseas (which uni's don't because EU students don't pay international level fees) EU students make up another 11% of applications and 8% of acceptances.

ReputationRep:
    Coz it sounds very good for me....i am an international overseas student.....is it the same for all unis...including oxford....for overseas undergrads?

No, not even close. Many of the other highly regarded universities are faiiirly white middle class. If you're looking for a load of international students, then it's probably going to have to be London. I know of LSE, Imperial, UCL, Kings...and SOAS; I assume the rest of the London lot is heavily diverse also.

Although, white middle class types are generally quite friendly, I wouldn't seek to avoid them! lol

ReputationRep:

I was a student there, it's a well known fact throughout London, one of LSE's selling points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    I was a student there, it's a well known fact throughout London, one of LSE's selling points.
    hmm not a selling point to me, 50% international students would put me off actually!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    hmm not a selling point to me, 50% international students would put me off actually!!

Well, like any selling point, it doesn't have universal market appeal!:P On the whole it was great, sometimes frustrating. Particularly some of the postgrads, where exceptionally bright people, those from abroad that is. LSE's a crazy ole place, you get some of the most incompetent and brilliant people all under one roof!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The London Institute (20%), SOAS(23%) and Imperial(17%) all have a much higher %age of international fee paying undergraduate students. LSE comes out at 38% (same as acceptances for the last 2 years). UMIST has 16% and St Andrews 15% then comes another raft of London area unis:
    City
    Westminster
    Middlesex
    Essex
    UCL
    Royal Holloway
    South Bank
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh and if you look at total student numbers (ie including post grads) then LSE has 46%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.S.)
    Well, like any selling point, it doesn't have universal market appeal!:P On the whole it was great, sometimes frustrating. Particularly some of the postgrads, where exceptionally bright people, those from abroad that is. LSE's a crazy ole place, you get some of the most incompetent and brilliant people all under one roof!
    i think id probably find it a bit intimidating being surrounded by loads of different nationalities. one of the things that puts me off a bit about imperial (that and the prices)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edders)
    i think id probably find it a bit intimidating being surrounded by loads of different nationalities. one of the things that puts me off a bit about imperial (that and the prices)

You know, London's not thatttttt expensive, unless you want it to be. You can get by having spent an amount comparable to say...Durham, I think. It depends on what your interests are and how much self restraint you have. Oh and, a high maintenance g/f could make all the difference in the balance sheet, truly Enron style

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.