Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yea but the trade I want to do is as a Medical Assistant. If the navy wont look at my qaulification from college, once I have started my career in the navy, then there is no point staying right?

They did not seem to bovard about college, they were more interested in where I work, when I had the interview.

ReputationRep:
    I'd stay on at college so you have some qualifications as back up in case it all goes pecs up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
    I'd stay on at college so you have some qualifications as back up in case it all goes pecs up.
    Yes i agree with Tom, but once you get passed your selection tests, your basicly in there unless they find out your Osma's cousin or something, but incase you dont like being in the Navy on witch i find odd as everyone i know in the navy or was in the navy says its the life to live and they love it, so i cant wait to join the club! Just wish raleigh would hurry up. The only things that are taken very seriously and that you must pass is the fire training and first aid, health and safty and also damage control. The rest if you fail they will just re enter you to do it again such as the fitness tests ect.... !

ReputationRep:
    Stay at college just for a back up, hhhmmmm I surpose I can crawl through six more months at college, carry on having little money and bare loads of coursework, but a good choice of girls .

Yea i'll stay and use it as a back up.

--------------

So you have to pass those four things first time?

ReputationRep:
    Make the most of having girls around you while you still can!

ReputationRep:
    You lot are so mean about women in the Navy - they can't be that bad?! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GemmaLS)
    You lot are so mean about women in the Navy - they can't be that bad?! :rolleyes:
    They are moon beasts worthy of nothing less than harpooning and being sold to the Japs to be made into soap.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough!

ReputationRep:
    They are moon beasts worthy of nothing less than harpooning and being sold to the Japs to be made into soap.
    lol... iv been told that some ships company call the women sailors "china's" something to do about having chinese women years ago in the navy to do the mens washing or something... ?? no you cant date women in the navy im afraid. Not saying that there proberly a good laugh though.

ReputationRep:
    There was a jap guy on the ship me uncle was on an they called him soso cos he did all the sowing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tricky_rn)
    ah, il just leave it to be a suprise! Anyway... Kent loves Mark
    :rolleyes:.

(Original post by mikey123)
    hi,

As you know I should be joining the navy in july, well I am at college and was wondering if there is any point in staying, im in my 2nd year but I am surrounded by f**king idiots on my course except for a few.

As its about the Armed Forces and Police etc, there are people who think they will get into the Police, or another public service, but it is obvious they wont, they can not even do one lap of the track at PT and, also constantly moan and moan.

Does having a college education actually help in the Navy if your going in as a rating, I have enough GCSE's to get promoted. Just wanted to know what you lot think about leaving college or is it worth staying on?
    Perhaps they think they same about you . You'll find the likes of them everywhere, even in the forces. Yes, it does, and it helps out of the Navy too - should everything not go to plan. Well, promotion doesn't go on grades, actually. In order to be promoted (as a Rating) there is a fair amount of criteria; you must have served at sea; you must have completed your books; you must be put forward for it; you must pass the RN tests (extra aptitude ones); must complete training on the Brecons and some more stuff. I would advide you to stay on, if nothing else - you can brag about joining, seeing as your college-mates, don't seem quite good enough?

Well depending on what GCSE's you got why dont you go in as an officer? It wont help you to much being a rate as the navy will take you in and train you on what you need to know to be a fine sailor and wont pay to much attention to gcse's as such... !
    'Cause that'd require a little more than GCSE's. True to an extend, but they will happilly allow you to get on some courses to get them while serving. And as mentioned, it'd be nicer to have them to fall back on?

Yea but the trade I want to do is as a Medical Assistant. If the navy wont look at my qaulification from college, once I have started my career in the navy, then there is no point staying right?

They did not seem to bovard about college, they were more interested in where I work, when I had the interview.
    Good luck, a nice career you'll have out of it too; if you're that way inclined. That's 'cause you are going for Rates, the interview is easy - try Occifer. And mate, 'bovard'? I'm hoping that was intentional.

[QUOTE=TomInPortsmouth]I'd stay on at college so you have some qualifications as back up in case it all goes pecs up.

Yes i agree with Tom, but once you get passed your selection tests, your basicly in there unless they find out your Osma's cousin or something, but incase you dont like being in the Navy on witch i find odd as everyone i know in the navy or was in the navy says its the life to live and they love it, so i cant wait to join the club! Just wish raleigh would hurry up. The only things that are taken very seriously and that you must pass is the fire training and first aid, health and safty and also damage control. The rest if you fail they will just re enter you to do it again such as the fitness tests ect.... !
    Osma? Yep, however the whole being away from home for so long can get to some folk, the Navy is not for everyone; obviously. Fire training, first aid, seamanship are key factors for all Matelots; not just MA's. Just to clear that up. While at Raleigh, theres no excuse not to pass the fitness tests, because if you can't do it - you are seriously not fit/motivated, which you will find. However, if you fail the fitness test, on your last go - you get discharged and not invited back. But you deserve it by that time, if not before.

Stay at college just for a back up, hhhmmmm I surpose I can crawl through six more months at college, carry on having little money and bare loads of coursework, but a good choice of girls .

Yea i'll stay and use it as a back up.

--------------

So you have to pass those four things first time?
    Good choice. Girls are important.

No.

(Original post by GemmaLS)
    No?

Lol.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    So how many chances do you get at the fitness test the 2.4km run, everything else im not to worried, i mean i dont know why im worrying about as i defo wont be the unfittest there and i keep myself pretty together and go out for 10 min jogs everyday. I think its because i failed my first fitness test on the tread mil, for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, just keep with the pack - and being at the front is a nice feeling, I liked it anyway. I don't remember how many changes you get, too many though.. not like it's mega tough.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    Thats cool, there should be no reason for me not being able to do it... i really have grown a passion for joining the navy and i dont think much is going to stop me doing what i want to do, 2.4km runs, or climbing mountains...

ReputationRep:
    Going up to the royal navy aquaint center tomorrow early morning so i better get some sleep.. hope it goes well, the small taste of the navy. il let you lot know how i got on when i get back... kent

ReputationRep:
    Yep, no reason whatsoever. A passion? You should've had that before you joined! :P

Oh well, bit late to wish you luck, eh? Hope it was a nice day. Taste, but don't swallow.

Mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djmarkmclachlan)
    Yep, no reason whatsoever. A passion? You should've had that before you joined! :P

Oh well, bit late to wish you luck, eh? Hope it was a nice day. Taste, but don't swallow.

Mark
    ha ha ha.. cant wait til feb and no they didnt make the navy pink and fluffy. Its amazing what the trained navy personel can do. the insite into the navy, its where im going to be, the end

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend's in the navy!
    He told me the other week that the group got split into 2 (during one of their PT classes).
    One lot had to face the wall and put their hands out and lean on it kinda thing.
    Then the other group had to go upto them and slap their legs, and pull their leg hair etc.
    Then do the "exercise" the other way round.
    I found it all fair amusing! he he he :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You're going to be at Rosyth?

I'm guessing he's been in about 3-5 months and on his second establishment? I did that exact warm-up while I was at Sultan : great fun. Hope he's enjoying it, a lot of fun to be had in the Navy. No need to worry about him cheating either (wrens are absolutely minging) unless he doesn't have high standards .

Mark

ReputationRep:
    Yeah he'd finished at Raleigh a month or so ago. At Sultan now. I don't really know much about the navy but he's training to be an MEM... i think that's what it's called.
    Yes he has made a comment or two on the lasses down there. (I don't think they're his type, to put it nicely!)
    I'm not too worried about him cheating, no. I wouldn't say his standards are low neither! :rolleyes: hehe

He's gone sailing across to France this week. They were suppose to go to Wales but the staff forgot to order the equipment or something! Great organisation chaps!

I get annoyed at times when I trying to talk on the phone and some of the *cough* eejits *cough* who he shares a mess with are always shouting and being, basically w**kers!
    He's enjoying it anyway, apart from missing me :love:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.