The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They' dont, they are for synaptic transfer.
Reply 2
imsorry i meant hormones
dinesh
They' dont, they are for synaptic transfer.

They can do. Some nerve endings between muscle fibres release neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine, tissue fluid, and then diffuse into blood capillaries.
endeavour
They can do. Some nerve endings between muscle fibres release neurotransmitters such as acetylcholine, tissue fluid, and then diffuse into blood capillaries.

This would be a negligeable amount, seeing as there is large amounts of acetylcholine esterase in the extracellular matrix. Choline is also pretty quickly taken up by the presynaptic neurone.
Don Chowdhury
imsorry i meant hormones

Only endocrine hormones will enter the blood. Examples of these are adrenaline, cortisol, testosterone, ADH ... They are generally secreted from cells surrounding capillaries and you will find that endocrine tissue, such as the pituitary gland, will have a very good blood supply. The hormones will then diffuse into the blood from the tissue fluid. :smile:
Golden Maverick
This would be a negligeable amount, seeing as there is large amounts of acetylcholine esterase in the extracellular matrix. Choline is also pretty quickly taken up by the presynaptic neurone.

Ah ok and how is the chloline taken back up by the neurone? (diffusion again?)
endeavour
Ah ok and how is the chloline taken back up by the neurone? (diffusion again?)

There is a transporter in the membrane of the presynaptic neurone, powered by the Na+ gradient. Interestingly this is the transporter blocked by cocaine, giving its local anaestetic ability, although the elation is caused by it having this effect in the CNS.

EDIT: No got the cocaine part completely wrong, that is a catecholamine uptake inhibitor, so blocks uptake of adrenaline, noradrenaline and dopamine. Damn, I need to know this in 6 weeks.

Latest

Trending

Trending