Should mentally ill babies be put down? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Alcohol5%
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
If you knew that before or after the birth that your new born baby would be permanently mental ill. They had no way of living any sort of normal life and were in a vegetative state, would you terminate the pregnancy late or have to baby be allowed to die after birth?

Is there more to living than just a heartbeat and breathing? And if it were you, what would you want to do?
MissisKate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Like a dog?!
Inverurie Jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's a physical illness, not a mental one.
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
Yea, pretty much like a dog, but the dog would be one that was not getting better, and was only to suffer with the rest of its life.

I just want to say, that my views are undecided on this.
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i don't think you should say put down...
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
(Original post by medic_bex)
i don't think you should say put down...
Ok, it has been changed.
MissisKate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You're talking about late abortion or euthanasia... not 'putting down'.
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
I realise that this is not a very nice subject, but you must think beyond: you can't kill a baby!
MissisKate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Alcohol5%)
I realise that this is not a very nice subject, but you must think beyond: you can't kill a baby!
What... of course you can kill a baby...
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
(Original post by MissisKate)
What... of course you can kill a baby...
Yea you may think that, which is good, if your thinking what I think you are. However I don't want that sort of response.
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
What extent of mental illness are we talking. Are we talking letting them die, or actively terminating their lives. Most even severely mentally ill people have body functions can experience some emotions etc etc.
MissisKate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yea you may think that, which is good, if your thinking what I think you are. However I don't want that sort of response.
You've lost me completely... what do you want?!

Please guide me in this...
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
you have to make a choice... this is where ethics and morality come into it...
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would find it quite worrying if someone though 'beyond' that. I doubt very much you understand anything about the mind of a mentally ill child. You can't just suggest that killing them is an option. This is the sort of thing that Hitler did!
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
(Original post by viviki)
What extent of mental illness are we talking. Are we talking letting them die, or actively terminating their lives. Most even severely mentally ill people have body functions can experience some emotions etc etc.
Ok , babies that can't experience anything, their life will be just breathing and a heartbeat. Should their life be activally terminated, by others: parents and doctors.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you knew that before or after the birth that your new born baby would be permanently mental ill. They had no way of living any sort of normal life and were in a vegetative state, would you terminate the pregnancy late or have to baby be allowed to die after birth?

Is there more to living than just a heartbeat and breathing? And if it were you, what would you want to do?
to quote the romulans in star trek "you waste resources on defective children?"
Alcohol5%
Rep:
?
(Original post by inequality)
I would find it quite worrying if someone though 'beyond' that. I doubt very much you understand anything about the mind of a mentally ill child. You can't just suggest that killing them is an option. This is the sort of thing that Hitler did!
No, Hitlet would have killed any sort of disability, regardless of the amount of emotion they could feel, or information they could interpret.
MissisKate
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ok , babies that can't experience anything, their life will be just breathing and a heartbeat. Should their life be activally terminated, by others: parents and doctors.
If these are the only functions that any human has they're probably on a machine which changes evrything.
cheesecakebobby
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd throw it to the healthy babies.
inequality
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
No, Hitlet would have killed any sort of disability, regardless of the amount of emotion they could feel, or information they could interpret.
How could you possibly judge the amount of emotion they are feeling?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1335)
79.65%
Leave (341)
20.35%

Watched Threads