Turn on thread page Beta

Should mentally ill babies be put down? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alcohol5%)
    I like that.
    Whats your view on this... you haven't actually said (I don't think).

ReputationRep:
    Why does a mentally "dead" child deserve as much attention as a healthy one? I can understand if they have extreme learning difficulties, ie they won't be able to talk properly etc but if one is brain dead, its just a waste of resources to keep them alive. Surely it doesn't matter how old someone is, if there is no chance of them ever (re)gaining consciousness there is no reason to keep them alive. Just because they look human doesn't mean they are a person, just a sack of organs basically.

ReputationRep:
    If the brain is dead, they are just a warm corpse, so I'm not sure if the debate extends to those who are, essentially, the Living Dead.

ReputationRep:
    Well the first post said vegetative state, so I assumed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Why does a mentally "dead" child deserve as much attention as a healthy one? I can understand if they have extreme learning difficulties, ie they won't be able to talk properly etc but if one is brain dead, its just a waste of resources to keep them alive. Surely it doesn't matter how old someone is, if there is no chance of them ever (re)gaining consciousness there is no reason to keep them alive. Just because they look human doesn't mean they are a person, just a sack of organs basically.
    I see that you are very emotionally-detached from this subject.

ReputationRep:
    Well the first post said vegetative state, so I assumed.
    Well, in that case; after braindeath it is pointless to indulge in what is, basically, expensive corpse-storage.

ReputationRep:
    No dear, just logical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inverurie Jones)
    Well, in that case; after braindeath it is pointless to indulge in what is, basically, expensive corpse-storage.
    Agreed, daddio.

ReputationRep:
    medicine is advancing all the time, there is always the possibility of some day a possibility of cure. that seems however in the case of the little baby unlikely to occur, but if they are ill enough that are going to die anyway why not make their time on earth as comfortable as possible. it gives grieving parents time to come to terms with what has happened and spares them having to accept that they made the decision to kill their child.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldonaghy)
    medicine is advancing all the time, there is always the possibility of some day a possibility of cure. that seems however in the case of the little baby unlikely to occur, but if they are ill enough that are going to die anyway why not make their time on earth as comfortable as possible. it gives grieving parents time to come to terms with what has happened and spares them having to accept that they made the decision to kill their child.
    I'm pretty sure that such a state means it is 99.9 recurring % certain there can be no cure. Also, being in such a state means they cannot experience "comfortable". Indeed, there is no they, for the mind is all but absent.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure that such a state means it is 99.9 recurring % certain there can be no cure. Also, being in such a state means they cannot experience "comfortable". Indeed, there is no they, for the mind is all but absent.
    but who are we to make that choice, the child may well die, but we shouldn't force death upon them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissisKate)
    Whats your view on this... you haven't actually said (I don't think).
    My opinion, me being still a child with no children, is that mentally dead babes which only live on life support should have their life terminated. I do not believe it to be an ethic of Nazism, but just rather common sense.

I may also believe that vegetative state babies where all they require is a feeding tube and waste tube should have their life terminated. However, unlike the unfortunate events surrounding Terri Schiavo, no innocent person should be starved to death.

However, not having experienced a lot of life, and not having any children of my own let alone mentally ill children, I do not believe my opinions to be valued until that time, and when that time comes my opinions could indeed change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alcohol5%)
    My opinion, me being still a child with no children, is that mentally dead babes which only live on life support should have their life terminated. I do not believe it to be an ethic of Nazism, but just rather common sense.
    i agree life need not be supported artificially, but not terminated prematurely either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ldonaghy)
    but who are we to make that choice, the child may well die, but we shouldn't force death upon them
    So if we left it, it would live? It takes a lot of effort and money to raise a child. The reason is to advance the human race, allow them to live a fulfilling life, etc. How is that possible with a bag of bones which cant even sh*t for itself?

ReputationRep:
    So if we left it, it would live? It takes a lot of effort and money to raise a child. The reason is to advance the human race, allow them to live a fulfilling life, etc. How is that possible with a bag of bones which cant even sh*t for itself?
    Gosh that's harsh. I agree with you though, it shouldn't be about actual existence but essence, the quality of life. If you're hooked up to a bunch of machines or unable to do the most basic of things, that is no life.

ReputationRep:
    How is it any different an issue to turning off a life-machine which is keeping alive a person who has been badly injured?

Personally I don't approve of actively terminating a life, including abortion (for selfish means; please don't attack me re the issue of aborting babies who have little quality of life after birth and pregnancies due to rape - this is an issue on which I don't have an opinion as I have never had to give it the required thought) but when a life has no future, then surely it is no life.

I don't believe that terminating the life of a child who has eg Downs Syndrome is right as that child can have a happy life and can be very much loved. What is a "fulfilling life"? (cheesecakebobby), my sister was born with physical and learning difficulties, and I don't really see her "advancing the human race", but I know full well that she has much to give to the community and my life would be less if she were not around.

ReputationRep:
    What is a "fulfilling life"? (cheesecakebobby), my sister was born with physical and learning difficulties, and I don't really see her "advancing the human race",
    By fulfilling life I really meant the ability to experience life, to experience happiness and so on. The brain dead experience nothing. Your sister is part of the human race, she is part of the advancement, whereas a biological human without a mind is as much a part of humanity as the tree I can see out of my window.

ReputationRep:
    The mind is the human being. If the mind is dead, the human being is dead, whether the heart still beats or no.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, fully accepted.

Challenge to all: Define the point at which a life is not worth allowing to continue, when does the ability to experience surroundings etc reduce to a low enough point that the life is over? (I can't do it)

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a doctor, but they do know.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.