The Student Room Group

Edexcel - R.S - Implications - Ethics ONLY(Jaimeson, LaFollette, Schneewind)

Hi guys, seeing as there is so much confusion in the existing threads, I decided to make one dedicated solely to the ethics Implications pack with Jaimeson, LaFollette and Schneewind.

Any information about them can be posted here. Also if anyone has any extra information as to which is likely to come up please post it here!

Hopefully this will lesson the confusion with the other group who are doing westphal I think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yo flavity, im doing the ethics paper as well! I don't think there are many of us doing it to be honest :\
The Edexcel spec says that over the course of a few years, the whole contents of the syllobus will be tested. If this is true, then by looking at past papers we should be able to eliminate the passges 1 by 1.

The specimen paper uses the la follette passgae, but i dont have any past papers for this? dont suppose you do?
Reply 2
Flavity
Heya, I think its very few doing this one, the majority of tsr is going on about westphal and ayer. Thing is, theres only been one past paper with these resources which was last year. They did LaFollette, but I'm thinking its quite possibly LaFollette will come up again. I think the examiners regretted putting in the first section because lets face it, its utter rubbish. The second one is more readable and understandable.. the third to be honest is total crap as well but it could come up.

I don't understand the third at all..... any help?

(Also, I dont have the past paper.. sorry!)

At least im not the only one that thinks the 1st and 3rd are total crap. The anthology must have been typed up by monkeys because there are spelling mistakes and all sorts :mad:

The way im doing it is to go paragraph by paragraph, noting the argument/views and then making a note to its implications to human experience and relgion.
im just going to notate the anthology now, if i get a chance i will type it up and you can have a look.
if you do this for the lafollete piece, and i do the same for the schneewind one, we can swap and get it done in half the time? let me know what you think.

Just pm'd you.
Reply 3
There are only three past papers you can use to practice from - 2 example papers [1 uses LaFollette and 1 uses Jamieson] and then last year's exam paper was on LaFollette.
I dont think there's any way the Schneewind article can come up- how can you 'interpret' a historical article- there's no argument there to interpret! I also reckon the Jamieson one's just too hard...so am pretty much banking on LaFollette coming up again...
Reply 4
lvw_ogc
There are only three past papers you can use to practice from - 2 example papers [1 uses LaFollette and 1 uses Jamieson] and then last year's exam paper was on LaFollette.
I dont think there's any way the Schneewind article can come up- how can you 'interpret' a historical article- there's no argument there to interpret! I also reckon the Jamieson one's just too hard...so am pretty much banking on LaFollette coming up again...

I just annotated the Schneewind passage, there are definitely some passages that are accessible to us i.e. things that we can just about understand.
The Jamieson extract is impossible, i just cant make sense of it what so ever.
It would be great if la follette came up but im not gonna rely on it.
Have your teachers given you any indication what so ever about what might come up?
Reply 5
I'm doing those parts of the anthology as well.
Noticed you guys said you were struggling with the Jameison article.
Try downloading this:
http://www.ethicalstudies.co.uk/?page_id=16
The first part of it is a brief overview of the article, I found that it helped me make a little more sense of it.
I hope it can help you guys too!
I'm so worried about this exam!!! =[
Reply 6
Dreading this exam. I think Method and Moral theory's (Jamieson) the most likely to come up.

Just gonna read through and try and link in as many theories as possible.
lvw_ogc

I'm taking this paper, too. Surprised that you guys want LaFollette to come up!? I dont feel that it has a great deal of content- the other two are literally littered with things to pick out, expand on and challenge.

Having said that, I do agree that it's hard to detect any sort of argument in Schneewind. If he was to come up, would you discuss the "argument" in the extract as meaning the view of the described scholar(s) rather than of Schneewind?
Also, is anyone else planning on answering both parts of the question together in one essay? I've been told that it's okay to do this - just wondering if it's a common thing to do...?
Reply 9
I just don't have a clue at all... anyone got any sort of summary of points as to what I am looking out for in each of the three texts?
Reply 10
My sister took it last year, got about 4 marks off an A.

She says it's very important to include W.D. Ross (prima facie obligations), Hume's Fork (is/ought), A.J. Ayer (emotivism, boo/hurrah) and G.E. Moore/H.A. Pritchard (intuitionism).

Then the rest is just going through (literally) each sentence in the passage given and give your interpretation of what it's saying, putting in relevant ethical theories when possible. The second part is whether or not you agree, using examples and theories to support your argument.

The flip side is, if we all do crap, we're more likely to get higher grades. :biggrin:
Reply 11
mnolan
My sister took it last year, got about 4 marks off an A.

She says it's very important to include W.D. Ross (prima facie obligations), Hume's Fork (is/ought), A.J. Ayer (emotivism, boo/hurrah) and G.E. Moore/H.A. Pritchard (intuitionism).

Then the rest is just going through (literally) each sentence in the passage given and give your interpretation of what it's saying, putting in relevant ethical theories when possible. The second part is whether or not you agree, using examples and theories to support your argument.

The flip side is, if we all do crap, we're more likely to get higher grades. :biggrin:

haha love it.. lets hope so
Reply 12
To those asking what to do about the lack of argument in Schneewind:

Schneewind interprets the development of modern moral theory is three stages. He argues that these stages are predominantly concerned with certain distinct arguments, but this is not to say that those arguments can't be found in other stages.

Thats all he basically says

For a summary of Schneewind follow the link below, its not perfect but its adequete and the one i'm using

http://www.mediafire.com/file/twj5vljyl0g/Modern moral philosophy.doc

jim42
Reply 13
My bet is either on a different passage from LaFollette (so Edexcel build up a repertoire of past papers) or something from Schneewind.

I'm literally just doing simple spider-diagrams with everything we need to include.

I do have an article from the Edexcel magazine if anyone is interested?
Reply 14
I am interested... Anything will do at this stage!! Haha. Oh and can you tell me what you are putting in the spider diagrams? Cheers

Has everyone got the exam tomoz morning?
Reply 15
I highly doubt it'll be Schneewind. They've not done an example answer for it on the Edexcel website. Slightly unfair that we can't see how it's supposed to be answered. Then again, they weren't exactly generous with the other exam questions.

I'm banking on it being Jamieson. I'll despair if it isn't.

EDIT: Does anyone else find it ironic that one of the pieces is written by a bloke called Laugh-a-lot?
Reply 16
Finished.

Did anyone else think it was unnervingly piss?
Reply 17
I wouldnt say piss. I don't know if I was on the right lines.. Did anyone talk about Kant, Deontology, Emotivism, Ross, NML and Virtue Ethics??? Or am I going to get a U??

TALK people!
Reply 18
I wouldnt say piss. I don't know if I was on the right lines.. Did anyone talk about Kant, Deontology, Emotivism, Ross, NML and Virtue Ethics??? Or am I going to get a U??

I didn't do Virtue, but I did Intuitionism, Util, Situation, Absolutism/Relativism and Hume's Fork, as well as the others (Deontology = Kant, btw... unless you meant deontology as a whole, in which case, I also did Teleology)
Reply 19
To be fair, it was possibly the best two paragraphs for it. There were questions there ready for answering straight away. Although I have an inkling this is all misplaced confidence, and I get a shcoking grade. Still, think it went far better than the other exam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending