Biology Immunity question Watch

This discussion is closed.
aiman
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Could someone answer this question :

How do B-lymphocytes differ from T-lymphocytes?

A Only B-lymphocytes attack cells infected with microorganisms
B Only B-lymphocytes attack cells from transplanted organs
C Only B-lymphocytes produce suppressor cells
D Only B-lymphocytes produce memory cells
SilverWings
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
All I can say to that is that I know that they both produce memory cells... so it isn't D thats the answer... and also... my gut instinct (although I dont have enough notes on this yet - we're still doing it) is that both respond to microorganisms and cells from transplanted organs... your best bet with that question is C... mind you, I only say that because I don't think we've even done anything on supressor cells yet... :confused:

Hope I helped (if only slightly) and sorry if this reply is slightly late... :confused:
dinesh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The answer is D
That is from a CIE mCQ past paper.
There is no 'proof" that T memory cells exist, nor do the B cells respond to transplanted organs.
The responce to organs etc are via cell mediated immunity, not the B cells.
A is definatly wrong, and so is C.
aiman
Rep:
?
Dinesh, I would myself have chosen D, but I am quite sure it is definetly wrong. This is because of two reasons: (1) I have the CIE Biology AS & A-Level book and it states that T memory cells are produced, (2) I have the CIE Teacher Support CD which has a syllabus breakdown and it cleary states: 'If students understand how B- and T-cells react to exposure to antigen, then this topic is not difficult to understand. They should be aware that both B- and T-cells produce memory cells.'
SilverWings
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
D is wrong... BOTH B and T cells produce memory cells - we did it the other day in class!!

Like I said... my others are guesses... :rolleyes:
aiman
Rep:
?
I think it might be A, though i'm not sure, because, B-lymphocytes do not directly attack infected cells (their antibodies do), but T-killer cells directly attack infected cells.
SilverWings
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Is C definately not the answer?? :confused:
SDavies19
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was doing this in college today and Im pretty sure its not A, I think it might be C but we didn't get very far into it so I might be wrong.
SilverWings
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yeah I'm with you on that one because Im pretty sure that both B and T attack both infected and transplanted cells...
aiman
Rep:
?
Well, I searched for T suppressor cells on Google and they do exist.
aiman
Rep:
?
It has to either A or B because in the Paper 1 for the next year the following question appears:

B-Lymphocytes of the immune system differ from T-Lymphocytes because only B-lymphoctyes:

A attack cells infected by microorganisms.
B attack cells from transplanted organs.
C produce antibodies and memory cells.
D produce suppressor and memory cells.

Since both B-&T-lymph. produce memory cells it has to be A or B.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (860)
80.37%
Leave (210)
19.63%

Watched Threads