The Student Room Group

Medicine Foundation Course...

I've read somewhere that if you don't do as well as you wanted in your A-Levels, you can opt to take the Medicine foundation course...

...So, I'm wondering does this really exist? I mean wouldn't it be hard enough getting on the proper course as an undergraduate but then all the rejects would be taking up places on the foundation course so that they can move onto Medicine after. What are the conditions and do all med schools offer it?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
It's not really for people who've done badly, it's for people who've taken the wrong subjects, e.g no biology and chemistry. The grade requirements for most foundation courses are still AAB though.

Widening access is a whole different kettle of fish though, is that what you were referring to?
Reply 2
You might find this useful :
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=79

It shows the different 6 year courses available - some aimed at those without a science background (asking for AAB or thereabouts at A-level) and some aimed at those living in certain areas, or from certain backgrounds. If you hover your mouse over each of the criteria on the website it gives you a bit more information.
I think it's mainly for people who do not have Chemistry or Biology at A Level, and therefore can't apply for the normal undergraduate course. So if you happen to be doing Chemistry now but got a C/D/E I don't think you would be eligible.
Reply 4
There are a few med schools tho which have foundation courses you can get into even if you have science subjects like Southampton and UEA?
Reply 5
Sine
There are a few med schools tho which have foundation courses you can get into even if you have science subjects like Southampton and UEA?

Yes, there are widening access courses which are quite different in terms of their entry requirements to the traditional foundation courses.
Reply 6
Sarky
Yes, there are widening access courses which are quite different in terms of their entry requirements to the traditional foundation courses.

OOOOOOH, okay i get it....so foundation courses and widening access courses are not the same..
Reply 7
Sine
OOOOOOH, okay i get it....so foundation courses and widening access courses are not the same..

No they aren't but they both add an extra year onto a traditional 5 year course so people get confused between the two :smile:
RCSI in Ireland offers a "foundation" course for people who can't meet the normal grade required for them, i know someone with ABB who got into their foundation (6 years) course and is now in 1st year medicine

http://www.rcsi.ie/index.jsp?1nID=93&2nID=99&3nID=99&pID=99&nID=1407
Reply 9
Liverpool do one based at Carmel College on the wirral.
dr2be
Liverpool do one based at Carmel College on the wirral.

Do you have to be 21+ age-wise for this course ?
billykwok
RCSI in Ireland offers a "foundation" course for people who can't meet the normal grade required for them, i know someone with ABB who got into their foundation (6 years) course and is now in 1st year medicine

what's the minimum grades for this course do you know ? i had a look on their website it's so confusing
billykwok

I would also like to know this if any1 knows :s-smilie:??? i got conffuddleeedd on their website and cannot find entry requirements for this foundation course....are there socio-economic requirements ect. or just academic?
i am currently doing btec national diploma in science, but have got really poor grades in my 1st and 2nd year. my gcse were bad too. but i really want to knuckle down and i have always wanted to be a doctor. so is there anyway i could go into medicine??? and what is my pathway?
Reply 14
is it possible to go into a medicine foundation course through clearing?
Reply 15
I have just picked my A-levels. Althought, I'm still scared I won't be able to do medicine? I've chosen the following:
maths
biology
physics
psychology

- I know you need chemistry but I got a C and my college didn't allow it. However, I am aware some Unis let you do it due to the foundation year.
Please tell me if I'm incorrect...
Reply 16
Generally What is the necessary grades needed to pass the foundation year exams to pass onto the actual 5 year medicine course
Reply 17
Original post by littlet
Generally What is the necessary grades needed to pass the foundation year exams to pass onto the actual 5 year medicine course
just wanted to know
Reply 18
Original post by diskohuelga
I've read somewhere that if you don't do as well as you wanted in your A-Levels, you can opt to take the Medicine foundation course...

...So, I'm wondering does this really exist? I mean wouldn't it be hard enough getting on the proper course as an undergraduate but then all the rejects would be taking up places on the foundation course so that they can move onto Medicine after. What are the conditions and do all med schools offer it?

Thanks in advance.

It does to an extent exist but generally applies to those who don't do science a levels or those from an impoverished background who underachieved

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest