Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chavvo)
    ok so now Ive been persuaded that i was wrong and perhaps i should try for the Oxbridge uni instead of dissing all the posh people there (apologies to anyone offended by my earlier posts ), do they do things like media studies degrees there or should i go for the maths or latin or sciences?
    Oxbridge wouldn't be caught dead offering media studies degrees. After all, they are the 2 top universities in the country, so they're very unlikely to award degrees in subjects that most people consider 'mickey mouse'. You can do arts subjects as well as sciences though, like English, history, classics, modern languages etc.

ReputationRep:
    excellent! and does the modern languages include the community languages like urdu, punjabi, gujerati, or just the european things like french, spanish, dutch and so on? i dont know much abt those so I might be better swotting up on the maths and science and aiming to do a degree in that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    (This ones going to turn into a bun fight about mickey mouse subjects)

According to figures released by exam boards (published in a national newspaper today) figures show that state school pupils are shunning the likes of Maths, Science and English and replacing them with quote "easier" A-levels such as Business, Media and Psychology.

The article goes on to say how the knock on effect will be negative for both universities and business.

http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/news/m.../ixportal.html
    Business and Economics isn't an easy subject! I go to a private school and we have about 40 out of the 80 in the year taking this subject, of those, only around 10 will get an A.

ReputationRep:
    According to figures released by exam boards (published in a national newspaper today) figures show that state school pupils are shunning the likes of Maths, Science and English and replacing them with quote "easier" A-levels such as Business, Media and Psychology.

The article goes on to say how the knock on effect will be negative for both universities and business.

What a load of crap!! There is no such thing as an "easy" A Level!!!!!!! lol.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethsbabe13)
    What a load of crap!! There is no such thing as an "easy" A Level!!!!!!! lol.xx
    Such a simple concept, yet many on this forum fail to grasp it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    Such a simple concept, yet many on this forum fail to grasp it...
    What makes you think you're so unbiased and objective yourself?

ReputationRep:
    How you can argue that state school students are disadvantaging themselves I don't know, I'm sorry but the fact that is that state schools have a lot less funding that private sector schools and therefore kids at these schools get a much lower standard of education is entirely relevant here. The people taking these so called academic subjects have much more chance of succeeding in the type of educational environment that they are in because their parents had more money. Thats not to say that the state system doesnt provide for these subjects but the resources are far more minimal than that at private schools. Therefore maybe kids coming from poorer backgrounds or just kids that have had no option but to take the state school route have no other choice but to opt for your so called easy option so as to achieve certain grades.

That is if some subjects are more valuable than others anyway, I think its highly questionable as to whether somebody doing maths would do aswell as somebody doing drama for example, and vice-versa. Its a case of grading somebody on their performance in a certain subject as oppose to how much revenue they will generate in their lifetimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    What makes you think you're so unbiased and objective yourself?
    I never said I was, and I know since I take sociology, I'm obviously going to defend it, but at least I don't judge other people's subjects without even having studied them the way some people do.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is much easier than Business Studies IMO.

Also, I think most people prefer not to do any technical subjects, they'd rather do subjects such as Business, Psychology and PE, probably because they assume they're more interesting, which isn't true IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    Maths is much easier than Business Studies IMO.

Also, I think most people prefer not to do any technical subjects, they'd rather do subjects such as Business, Psychology and PE, probably because they assume they're more interesting, which isn't true IMO.
    I agree with finding Maths to be easier than Business Studies - I take both.

Having said that it is going to depend on each individuals aptitude and enthusiasm towards the subjects in question.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.