Turn on thread page Beta

State school pupils opt for easy A-levels watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonnyB)
    Fine, Access does suck balls.

However, an ICT qualification puts you in much better stances for a job in the IT industry. It aint all about Access in real life is it?
    This is sortof what I thought before I chose it for A level, but I since decided
    a) I don't wanna work in the IT sector.
    b) A maths degree will hold far greater value than ICT A level, when it comes to jobs.
    c) When writing my CV post degree I won't write down my subjects, only my grades e.g. AAAB or whatever rather than ICT - A, Maths - A etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    This is sortof what I thought before I chose it for A level, but I since decided
    a) I don't wanna work in the IT sector.
    b) A maths degree will hold far greater value than ICT A level, when it comes to jobs.
    c) When writing my CV post degree I won't write down my subjects, only my grades e.g. AAAB or whatever rather than ICT - A, Maths - A etc.
    a) Fair enough.
    b) Maths degree vs. ICT A-level ... Well duh.
    c) Don't companies want to know what subjects you did?

Curious now.

ReputationRep:
    a) Fair enough.
    b) Maths degree vs. ICT A-level ... Well duh.
    c) Don't companies want to know what subjects you did?

Curious now.
    They won't really care about what subjects you used to do 4 years ago anywhere near as much as what your degree was, how well you did in it and more to the point, how much revelevant work experience you have.

The only exception I can really think of is MFL's which I would probably state (had I done any) as the ability to communicate in another language is useful far beyond the A level cirruculum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    They won't really care about what subjects you used to do 4 years ago anywhere near as much as what your degree was, how well you did in it and more to the point, how much revelevant work experience you have.

The only exception I can really think of is MFL's which I would probably state (had I done any) as the ability to communicate in another language is useful far beyond the A level cirruculum.
    Groovy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry - the oppurtunity was simply too tempting.
    In my defence, I was researching EU farming and fisheries policy so I could WRITE my essay. Its not suprising I couldn't write after that. But I do now know that you can fly all the EU's dairy cows round the world and give them all spending money for less than the budget of the CAP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaz031)
    Probably because he is doing, or knows someone who is doing, those subjects.

I've done 'ICT' at A Level (edexcel VCE) and must say that it is more than a little 'mickey mouse'.
    It might be for you but it won't be for others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulsussed)
    It might be for you but it won't be for others.
    What does that mean?

ReputationRep:
    What does that mean?
    It means that although some people may find ICT 'mickey mouse', others may struggle with it, and the same for other subjects. That's why there is no such thing as a 'mickey mouse' subject because everyone is good at different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    It means that although some people may find ICT 'mickey mouse', others may struggle with it, and the same for other subjects. That's why there is no such thing as a 'mickey mouse' subject because everyone is good at different things.
    I think that post should be put in huge writing across the top of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jump)
    I think that post should be put in huge writing across the top of this forum.
    Lol I agree, then maybe we wouldn't have at least one post a week debating whether certain subjects are 'mickey mouse' or not
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    as I think I pointed out on the 1st page of this discussion, using labels like "easy" / "hard" and "mickey mouse" really isn't constructive. There is nothing wrong with anyone doing any subject they please at A level provided they know why they're doing it and are prepared to put the effort in...

There is however a serious point behind the article that was originally published which is that the independent schools were dominating the top grades in the traditional A level subjects, and also a suggestion that state school pupils may be being steered away from these subject choices by their teachers. If this is true, then it could mean less choice for state school kids in the future, not more choice, as whole subject areas become out of reach for them.

BTW, can anyone tell me what an ICT A level actually covers (speaking as someone who worked in the IT industry long before ICT was invented as an A Level!!)?

Thx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davros)
    as I think I pointed out on the 1st page of this discussion, using labels like "easy" / "hard" and "mickey mouse" really isn't constructive. There is nothing wrong with anyone doing any subject they please at A level provided they know why they're doing it and are prepared to put the effort in...

There is however a serious point behind the article that was originally published which is that the independent schools were dominating the top grades in the traditional A level subjects, and also a suggestion that state school pupils may be being steered away from these subject choices by their teachers. If this is true, then it could mean less choice for state school kids in the future, not more choice, as whole subject areas become out of reach for them.

BTW, can anyone tell me what an ICT A level actually covers (speaking as someone who worked in the IT industry long before ICT was invented as an A Level!!)?

Thx
    The ICT course is about how organisations use ICT, computers and stuff like that. More detail can be found here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5...21-W-SP-05.pdf

ReputationRep:
    What does that mean?
    He might find ICT easy but others might not.

ReputationRep:
    It really does depend on the person!
    At the start of the year i was taking business studies, computer science, maths and media studies..... i gave up media studies because I was struggling whereas I'm finding maths relativly easy. For me, that media studies as level would have meant alot more to me than the maths one, because personally I find it harder. I would have stuck with media studies if it wasnt for its reputation for being easy. I didnt see the point in working very hard, for something quite alot of people would fail to see. Yes, I would have had personal satisfaction, but that doesnt help me get a job or uni placement now does it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    It really does depend on the person!
    At the start of the year i was taking business studies, computer science, maths and media studies..... i gave up media studies because I was struggling whereas I'm finding maths relativly easy. For me, that media studies as level would have meant alot more to me than the maths one, because personally I find it harder. I would have stuck with media studies if it wasnt for its reputation for being easy. I didnt see the point in working very hard, for something quite alot of people would fail to see. Yes, I would have had personal satisfaction, but that doesnt help me get a job or uni placement now does it.
    Nicely said, although I fail to understand how you could find media hard. And I'm not taking the piss.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I didnt find the actual theory and logic behind it hard, it was more having to write essays on dealines, I also find it very hard to "waffle" as such. I'm a more logical person, I can't write tones and tones about one subject. I also prefered being oblvious to the media around me, i didnt want to end up being one of those synical people who analysis every single piece of media around then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diminutive)
    lol, I didnt find the actual theory and logic behind it hard, it was more having to write essays on dealines, I also find it very hard to "waffle" as such. I'm a more logical person, I can't write tones and tones about one subject. I also prefered being oblvious to the media around me, i didnt want to end up being one of those synical people who analysis every single piece of media around then
    Waffling sucks.

ReputationRep:
    ah but waffles on the other hand mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

ReputationRep:
    *waits for some media studies throwback to pull the 'all a levels are equally difficult'*

come on folks. if you were oxford law department, and you had 2 AAA candidates. one had maths,chemistry,english and the other had media studies,sociology and general studies, who would you choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    *waits for some media studies throwback to pull the 'all a levels are equally difficult'*

come on folks. if you were oxford law department, and you had 2 AAA candidates. one had maths,chemistry,english and the other had media studies,sociology and general studies, who would you choose?
    General studies isn't actually an A-level.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.