State school pupils opt for easy A-levels Watch

This discussion is closed.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chavvo)
how come u sayin peeps with no qualifications contribute less to society?
Because it's true. Someone with a worthwhile degree will be much better trained and so will be able to carry out more important jobs. A scientist or mathematician contributes much more than someone who tidies trollies up at the local supermarket every day.
Also people with more qualifications are generally(though not always) more intelligent and less likely to scrounge off the state.

we who lve at 16 and get the jobs 1st and pay the taxes should retire earlier
But most people also have a job when studying so you don't necessarily get jobs first even. Also, a degree in something such as mathematics, physics or english literature is much more taxing than a typical job.
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
Because it's true. Someone with a worthwhile degree will be much better trained and so will be able to carry out more important jobs. A scientist or mathematician contributes much more than someone who tidies trollies up at the local supermarket every day.
Also people with more qualifications are generally(though not always) more intelligent and less likely to scrounge off the state.
Important jobs, possibly, necessary jobs - no. I doubt that someone with a DPhil in Politics will be able to sort out your electrics, landscape your garden etc. Degrees aren't everything in life, so just get over yourself. I'm sure there are many business men and entrepeneurs who never went to university, and yet they will be equally as successful and important as many people with a 'worthwhile degree'. In fact I know that this is the case.

To recap, I think it's fairly ignorant of you to pigeon-hole those who are 'less educated' than yourself, and I pity you for being such a social snob.
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Raindance)
Important jobs, possibly, necessary jobs - no.
You don't consider progress of the human race necessary? Do you consider landscaping your garden to be more vital than monitoring the trajectories of asteroids, discovering more about the world in which we live or writing brilliant literacture?

I doubt that someone with a DPhil in Politics will be able to sort out your electrics, landscape your garden etc. Degrees aren't everything in life, so just get over yourself.
Neither is garden landscaping. Get over yourself!

I'm sure there are many business men and entrepeneurs who never went to university, and yet they will be equally as successful and important as many people with a 'worthwhile degree'. In fact I know that this is the case.
So what if many entrepeneurs never went to university? The fact is that entrepeneurs are severely in the minority and I never said all people without a degree are worthless.

To recap, I think it's fairly ignorant of you to pigeon-hole those who are 'less educated' than yourself, and I pity you for being such a social snob.
I don't really need a recap as your post is less than half a screen long but I think it's a great pity you're too politically correct to have opinions of your own.
Jump
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
We must also remember that on average degree holders earn over £400,000 more than non-degree holders over a lifetime and therefore pay alot more tax, this is even further amplified by the progressive nature of income tax.
Lorna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Someone with a worthwhile degree will be much better trained and so will be able to carry out more important jobs. A scientist or mathematician contributes much more than someone who tidies trollies up at the local supermarket every day.
Well that’s a load of rubbish; my Mum’s a cleaner. She works five days a week for pittance but the local police station says they couldn’t function properly without her.
My Uncle is a fireman; I think he contributes just as much to society as some scientist. He has put his own life in danger many times over 25 years. He gets paid next to nothing too.
I think everybody contributes something to society, just some things are different to others. A judge does a very different job to a humble factory worker but would the country be able to function properly without either of them? Without the people at the bottom, the people at the top would have nobody working for them and the economy would collapse.
JonnyB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lorna)
I think everybody contributes something to society, just some things are different to others.
How about the local drug lords? They're keeping the general public high I guess.
Jump
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Lorna)
Well that’s a load of rubbish; my Mum’s a cleaner. She works five days a week for pittance but the local police station says they couldn’t function properly without her.
My Uncle is a fireman; I think he contributes just as much to society as some scientist. He has put his own life in danger many times over 25 years. He gets paid next to nothing too.
I think everybody contributes something to society, just some things are different to others. A judge does a very different job to a humble factory worker but would the country be able to function properly without either of them? Without the people at the bottom, the people at the top would have nobody working for them and the economy would collapse.
Absolutely no offense intended but the arguement would be that the local police station could employ someone else who is capable of fufilling the role whereas there is unlikely to be for example, many people whom are capable of filling a cancer research scientists shoes.

That doesn't mean to say that people 'at the bottom' aren't needed, just that they are more expendable on an individual basis.
JonnyB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
Absolutely no offense intended but the arguement would be that the local police station could employ someone else who is capable of fufilling the role whereas there is unlikely to be for example, many people whom are capable of filling a cancer research scientists shoes.

That doesn't mean to say that people 'at the bottom' aren't needed, just that they are more expendable on an individual basis.
True. There are more cleaners then brain surgeons.
chavvo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ok so we need more mathematicians apparently??

so when was the last time you people called out the emergency 24-hr mathematician to fix a problem at yr home? Huh? And is there an 18 month waiting list to see a mathematician?? I dont thk so!

and tell me gaz031 wat is the use of traking the asteroid when ppl are dying in africa of starvation. and if cleaners are expendable why is ppl dying in hospitals when the wards arent cln?
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ok so we need more mathematicians apparently??
so when was the last time you people called out the emergency 24-hr mathematician to fix a problem at yr home? Huh? And is there an 18 month waiting list to see a mathematician?? I dont thk so!
Firstly, if you're going to argue that uneducated people are still intelligent, why not at least make an attempt with your grammar and spelling.
I don't see why you need to make this personal but, as a matter of fact, we do need more mathematicians.
If you seem to think mathematicians or so unimportant, do you think we would have things like planes, computers, television, cars, appliances that fix your home and most of the equipment we use to diagnose and treat patients without applying mathematics and using mathematical modelling to simulate reality?

and tell me gaz031 wat is the use of traking the asteroid when ppl are dying in africa of starvation
Probably because a medium sized asteroid will kill [all] the people in a land mass larger than africa.

and if cleaners are expendable why is ppl dying in hospitals when the wards arent cln?
The thing is that there are more people that can clean rather than solve problems or invent new technology. People are dying in wards that aren't clean, not because of a lack of cleaners, but because of goverment target setting that forces people to rush and not do the job properly.
At the end of the day, if we really needed more cleaners we could simply increase their wages. We couldn't do this for mathematicians, scientists or doctors.

"The Supply of People with Skills" highlighted that the UK was suffering from a shortage of physical science, engineering and mathematics students at university and skilled workers in the labour market. He said that the shortage could do serious damage to the UK's future growth.
JonnyB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
...and if cleaners are expendable why is ppl dying in hospitals when the wards arent cln?
I think you're talking about superbugs?
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think hiding amongst all this nonsense is a serious issue that there are only so many people to go round in this country. If more people become mathematicians, these have to come from somewhere. Are they people who would have become cleaners or firemen or something else? Which occupational group would you reduce in order to produce the scientists etc?

Or should we revert to the 18th century principle of importing lots of foreign johnnies to lick the hospital wards clean and sweep the streets whilst British people get the best jobs?

Discuss
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by davros)
I think hiding amongst all this nonsense is a serious issue that there are only so many people to go round in this country. If more people become mathematicians, these have to come from somewhere. Are they people who would have become cleaners or firemen or something else? Which occupational group would you reduce in order to produce the scientists etc?

Or should we revert to the 18th century principle of importing lots of foreign johnnies to lick the hospital wards clean and sweep the streets whilst British people get the best jobs?

Discuss
I hope you're not suggesting that Britain has a shortage of people to carry out the menial jobs.. There are many people living on benefits without a valid reason that could be made to work if we really needed them to.
Not everybody can become an academic, politician or good policeman.
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
but are the people you're thinking of clean enough to work in a hospital ward??
chavvo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hehe to keep the hospitals cln u gotto cut down the no of graduates man! that is where all the nhs money goes, my bro tells me cos he works in the nhs - they got plenty of money 4 cleaners but they spend it on grads and on a big personnel database costing 400 million quids and another big patient database costin 31 BILLION quids and this cud be spent on the patients and treatment.

and tracking the asteroid is a different thing from stoppin it hitting lol. if I tell u a big asteroid is going to wipe out the uk nxt week, theres nothing we cn do 2 stop it, so best not to worry about it.

im gonna write 2 blair and tell him to make graduates wrk until they are 90 because he is a fair man and he knows we need more working classes in this country doing media and ict and psychology cos of the mental illness, for sure
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hehe to keep the hospitals cln u gotto cut down the no of graduates man! that is where all the nhs money goes
I've never heard anything so stupid in all my life. That's like saying we shouldn't increase the budget of state schools because it takes money away from the nhs.

my bro tells me cos he works in the nhs
I doubt your 'bro' is much of an authority on allocations of the UK budget.

they got plenty of money 4 cleaners but they spend it on grads and on a big personnel database costing 400 million quids
Perhaps you're confusing this issue with that of beurocracy.

and another big patient database costin 31 BILLION quids and this cud be spent on the patients and treatment.
Source? 31 billion is more than the NHS gets in a year.

and tracking the asteroid is a different thing from stoppin it hitting lol.
But if we were to see that there is a 95% probability a 5mile wide asteroid were to hit the earth in 15 years i'm sure we would do something about it and prevent the destruction of mankind.

if I tell u a big asteroid is going to wipe out the uk nxt week, theres nothing we cn do 2 stop it, so best not to worry about it.
Noting your blatant disregard for the english language I wouldn't believe anything you were to say.

im gonna write 2 blair and tell him to make graduates wrk until they are 90
You do that. While you seem to hate graduates so much, did you know Blair and his sons have been to university? Do you still like him?

because he is a fair man
You tell that to the families of all those who have died in Iraq.

and he knows we need more working classes in this country doing media and ict and psychology cos of the mental illness, for sure
Your posts are giving me mental illness, that's for sure.
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Gaz031)
Source? 31 billion is more than the NHS gets in a year.
Actually I've heard that figure quoted in the media (not a reliable guarantee to be sure). Apparently this is the total cost of some IT solution the government is imposing on the NHS, so it's spread over a number of years, but all the same it is a frightening sum - you could probably build about 50 hospitals for that much. The sad truth of the matter is no-one knows where all the money being pumped into the NHS is going
chavvo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
ok right, so here is what we needs in this country ;

more police
more firepeeps
more clnrs to clean up the mrsa in the hospitals
more psychologists cos of the increased mental probs (even gaz is now suffring )
more peeople doin media studies at a level cos of the increased tv channels in the air and on the trains and cos tv is now 24 hrs so 1 person wud get tired if they broadcasted that long without a replacement lol
more people doin business studies cos it's important to know what happens in business
more ict students cos of all the computers dat need mending
more doctors and nurses cos every1 is sick now

in return we have 2 cut down the graduates esp the posh middle class ones who is doin the maths and science and dead lnaguages like the french, latin esperanto etc and if people keep studyin we jus make them work longer.

trust me there will be a backlash soon against the students cos like no country needs 50% of people in uni writing essays and gettin drunk all day long, that is ridiculous. they shud only keep oxbridge uni if it agrees to take 90% of state school pupils and teach proper subjects for the vocations
Gaz031
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I started typing a response but realised there's simply no point. I now realise your account is simply a joke one in which you act as a stereotypical chav who knows nothing and cares for nothing.
Edit: If someone is going to give me negative rep at least post a comment.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
they shud only keep oxbridge uni if it agrees to take 90% of state school pupils and teach proper subjects for the vocations
are there enough state school students in the country getting AAA for that to happen?

although that is a pretty good point, Gaz..
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?