Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody help me in choosing betweeen Chemistry And Physics for AS level?

What are their strengths and weaknesses? Which is more interesting/easier/more respected? Are they very different to GCSE? (for example, if I find physics quite interesting and easy now, and chemisty quite challenging and less interesting, will it be very different at AS?)

I have an inkling of trying for medicine at university and obviously I need Chemistry for that but I think if it wasnt for that I would probabally take Physics. What would you recommend I do?? I am also going to take Maths, Biology and English Literature.

Please help me I am so confused and my parents dont care and refuse to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by onlylittleme)
    Can anybody help me in choosing betweeen Chemistry And Physics for AS level?

What are their strengths and weaknesses? Which is more interesting/easier/more respected? Are they very different to GCSE? (for example, if I find physics quite interesting and easy now, and chemisty quite challenging and less interesting, will it be very different at AS?)

I have an inkling of trying for medicine at university and obviously I need Chemistry for that but I think if it wasnt for that I would probabally take Physics. What would you recommend I do?? I am also going to take Maths, Biology and English Literature.

Please help me I am so confused and my parents dont care and refuse to talk about it.

Both are as easy as each other. As you say, if you were to consider medicine then chemistry is a MUST. Neither is particularly interesting at Alevel in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about Chemistry, but Physics is harder at A Level (well, definetly in the upper sixth anyway). Choose whichever you prefer, I'd say. If you are thinking of Medicine, then yeah, obviously you'd need Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    not really helpful but i'm having the same problem as you (but without the medicine thing)

ReputationRep:
    u shud go out for a drink, several infact, drink the chmistry, then after watch the physics take efect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyuuki)
    u shud go out for a drink, several infact, drink the chmistry, then after watch the physics take efect.
    Yeh,....... good advice!?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Yeh,....... good advice!?! :confused:
    lol, u mean all this time i wasnt studing chemistry or physics??? damn, ah well...

ReputationRep:
    I do both of them and I like both of them. They go hand in hand, don't they? Although sometimes the physics teacher accuses the chemistry teacher for turning Albert in his grave...

ReputationRep:
    I do both and I would say they are equally interesting but physics does give the other 'side' to the sciences as I relate chemistry more to biology as you do touch upon biochemistry in bio. I find chemistry easier but it really depends on whether or not you can get your head around some abstract ideas you may come across in physics and if you are more of a 'mathy' person than I am As for which is more respected, I would say physics unless you are going for medicine or a chemistry related degree. They are both very different from GCSE, I found physics quite a big jump whereas I didn't have any problems with chemistry - then again it could be because of what I mentioned earlier as I found physics quite illogical and confusing at first (but it was very interesting though!)

Do you have the choice of taking 5 AS subjects up at your school? If so, maybe you should study both of them for a while and then decide which one you want to drop after you've had a bit of a taster of both of them. It's really hard to decide now because they are very different compared to GCSE! Good luck with your choice anyway

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all! But I am still so confused :confused: Arghh it is driving me crazy, I might go and speak to my subject teachers, but will they just be biased towards their own subject??

Slightly off topic - English Literature - If I really enjoy english lit now, but am only ok at actually writing essays though predicted an A, will it be alright to do AS or will I find it really difficult??

As you can see I am REALLY confused!!

Thanks again xxx

ReputationRep:
    Physics is now a very well resepected subject by universities and it goes very very very well with maths. It is like gcse except it goes into more depth in the topics, so if you find physics intresting at gcse, you will find it much more enjoyable at as level, but if you do want to do medicine at university, it is essential that you have chemistry. If you are good at maths, you are probably very good at Physics, and in as level you sit a mechanics paper in maths, and mechanics is basically physics in a lot of ways.

Thats the low down on physics. Chemistry I am warning you is extremely hard but if you like it and are good at it, you may find it easier. Also, as I said before, if you want to do medicine at uni, do chemistry!

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    My recommendation would be to take Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and English literature at AS level. You can then see how they go, and which ones you like the most. When it comes to AS results day, you can see which subjects you performed best in. Taking into account all of these factors, and how you feel about your university course, make a decision on which one to drop. I did a similar thing, but I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Computer Studies at AS level, dropping the CS in my second year.

Chris

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.