Tutoring younger students Watch

This discussion is closed.
wanderer
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I've heard from people in my sixth form that it can be possible to earn some money tutoring KS1-3 kids in maths (doing further maths, v. good at maths, etc.). Anyone know whether this is actually possible and how you go about it?
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
I've heard from people in my sixth form that it can be possible to earn some money tutoring KS1-3 kids in maths (doing further maths, v. good at maths, etc.). Anyone know whether this is actually possible and how you go about it?
You could not legally take money for teaching (or whatever else you want to call it) children in the school building, since you cannot be employed in a teaching capacity by the school.

Your deal would be with the child's parent(s), on the understanding that you do not have QT status.

You should only consider teaching the child in the child's house with a parent present.

All arrangements, including fees and expenses, should be agreed in advance. You should be paid after each session. No "payment by results" clause should be agreed to. If the child does better than expected in the Maths SATs, they can buy you a gift, give you a bonus. It's up to them.

Approach it all with caution.

Aitch
wanderer
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks. I was aware it couldn't take place in school, was really just wondering how commonplace it was. A case of making contacts, building a reputation, etc, then. Seems like a lot of hassle, I'll probably stick to potwashing.
Aitch
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by wanderer)
Thanks....

Seems like a lot of hassle, I'll probably stick to potwashing.

It could be a lot of effort for little (financial) reward. If you can find someone who's done it, and find out the + and - from them, it could help you decide.

If you think you might be interested in teaching, it could provide a sort of "free go"... albeit with a very small class!

Aitch
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You'll be in competition with people who have siginifcantly more qualifications than you too. I know plenty of maths graduate students who make money by tutoring all age groups.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1410)
79.66%
Leave (360)
20.34%

Watched Threads