Why are Athlete so pathetic? Watch

This discussion is closed.
spangly_peach
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I hate this band so much!

A few years ago they were cool but now theyve tried to be coldplay after drinking coffee all day or something.

All they're new songs are just boring and so overplayed. The lyrics are stupid, they are all pussies and I just had to get it off my chest.

Come on Athlete fans, prove me wrong......!
SamTheMan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by spangly_peach)
I hate this band so much!

A few years ago they were cool but now theyve tried to be coldplay after drinking coffee all day or something.

All they're new songs are just boring and so overplayed. The lyrics are stupid, they are all pussies and I just had to get it off my chest.

Come on Athlete fans, prove me wrong......!
They do seem a bit too similar to Coldplay in a way. They were described as "Fourth Favourite Band of any Coldplay fan" by the NME. Not that you should take anything written by the NME seriously. They're ****ing ******s!
LostRiot
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
seen them live?

don't even think of saying such things till you have.

Their songs are overplayed, true, but thats not their fault.

vechiles and animals is their best album by far though.
Xanthe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Their not that bad, I like their older stuff better
spangly_peach
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
(Original post by KidA)
seen them live?

don't even think of saying such things till you have.

Their songs are overplayed, true, but thats not their fault.

yes i have seen them live, more so in the old days when they had a tiny smidge of credibility and coolness. It isn't their fault they are overplayed, but songs can stand the test of being overplayed if they are good enough.

Sadly, Athlete's songs are not good enough. BOOO HOOOO

THAT'S A SHAME, SO SORRY ATHLETE
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
TOTALLY agree
What's Chico Time Precious?
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I really don't like Athlete one teeny weeny little bit.

I find their music very boring, lyrics quite pathetic and don't even get me started on the guys voice - probably the worst vocalist of any band i've ever heard.

I just don't seem to get why theres a big fuss over them, they're not a patch on Coldplay if thats who they're being compared to, get real!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
yeah i agree that they are a bit pathetic, particularly on tourist.
silver~planet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I love Athlete, they're not pathetic at all :mad:
Yes, they can be a bit depressing, but they still rock
trixx
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
They're not bad and i actually really enjoy listening to Joel sing.
Phonicsdude
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
El Salvador is the only song Ive heard by them, and its lyrics were so, so bad, I havnt invested any more time in them!
Xanthe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The early stuff they sang was good
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I quite like Athlete, I've seen them twice live now (and seeing them again over summer), I think they have gone a bit Coldplay, but they still have their style and they were really good fun to watch live. And its only since their new album has been out that they've become overplayed, their old stuff hardly got any airtime at all. Even so, Wires made my skin tingle when I saw them live last time.
fernando
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i dont mind tourist but i dont listen to it much
zhivago
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"Wires" was an amazing song, no-one can deny that! Their best song by far though is "You Got the Style" from their first album, which was generally better than the new stuff. However, "Tourist" from the album, "Tourist" is also really good. "Half Light" was good, but it pisses me off now coz it was overplayed. As someone said though, that's not the band's fault. I don't think you could ever really compare them to Coldplay, Coldplay are a lot more melancholic, and have less big beats in their tunes - they mainly consist of tinkly pianos and stuff. Coldplay are better too. Athlete are ok though. Joel's voice is good, I actually really like the way he sings...However, there is one time when it irritates me so much! It's on "Half Light", when he sings "out", on the line: "A great night out...which continues to the end of the week"!! It's so irritating, listen to the way he says "out"! Grr...apart from that they're ok.
Best Songs:

Wires
You Got The Style
Tourists
Steph!
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I love athlete! I was really dissapointed by tourist though, but I love wires, half light and tourist! I don't really listen to the radio so they havn't been overplayed for me! Both wires and halflight still give me butterflies!
kitty**b
Report 13 years ago
Vehicles and animals was such good album and they had that.. uniqueness then, something about them. I saw them live at vfest was rely small crowd and they were amzing.
But now... i cant believe they traded in everything they had going for them to become coldplay wannabes, or whatever, they just not the same. Plus they look completely different, what is with the long hair thing so unoriginal trying to look like all the other bands.

Aargh it annoys me so much :mad: used to be like my favourite band with the likes of rhcp, goldfrapp..
hollywollydoodle
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i hadnt really heard much of their stuff but saw them live because a mate ahd a spare ticket and was amazed. they were wicked, obviously still loving touring and the response from the crowd. i think vehicles and animals is their better album, livelier (sp?) then tourist. the lead singer's voice is really unique, i like that.
Chicken
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think Chances from the newer album is wicked, I love it when it starts to go into the chorus bit ("It's all about your cries and kisses...") I just love the build up and it sounds amazing live. From Vehicles and Animals, I pretty much love all the songs, but the title track and New Project are my fave two.
snowdrop
Report 13 years ago
I love athlete..their first album may be better, but Tourist still rocks for me :cool:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (61)
19.93%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (121)
39.54%
Nope, not that interesting (124)
40.52%

Watched Threads