This discussion is closed.
Karin Feldbache
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Hi,

I'm working on a paper about how to create meaning on the internet. I'm trying to evaluate different
web sites and explain how meaning is transported but as this topic goes somehow far beyond simple
text semantics I'm lacking some theoretical background on hypertext etc.

Does anyone know where and how I could get any publications or info on the net about my subject?
That would be really helpful!

Thanx!
K.
Mark Hill
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:53:42 +0200, Karin Feldbacher <[email protected]> wrote:
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm working on a paper about how to create meaning on the internet. I'm trying to evaluate[/q1]
[q1]> different web sites and explain how meaning is transported but as this topic goes somehow far[/q1]
[q1]> beyond simple text semantics I'm lacking some theoretical background on hypertext etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Does anyone know where and how I could get any publications or info on the net about my subject?[/q1]
[q1]> That would be really helpful![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

Perhaps looking in to the history of hypertext and hypermedia would be helpful? John Naughton's 'A
brief history of the future' goes in this a little bit. www.briefhistory.com for more info. Also,
maybe looking at the xanadu project might help. (The project is online somewhere, but I can't
remember the URL). Assuming you're an OU student, since you cross-posted in to this group, the T171
course deals with information on the Internet, hypertext and hypermedia. Perhaps you've done this
course, in which case this infor probably isn't that useful. If you want some links that this
course suggests for hypertext & hypermedia, I can probably dig them out for you.

Regards,

[Note: this message has been posted to uk.education.openuniversity only]

--
Mark Hill
Jason Hooper
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Karin Feldbacher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]> Hi,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> I'm working on a paper about how to create meaning on the internet. I'm trying to evaluate[/q1]
[q1]> different web sites and explain how meaning is transported but as this topic goes somehow far[/q1]
[q1]> beyond simple text[/q1]
semantics

"how meaning is transported". This line immediately brings the book "Virus of the Mind" to mind, but
for its application to the world of internet text, your mileage may vary. Still, a necessary read.

[q1]> I'm lacking some theoretical background on hypertext etc.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Does anyone know where and how I could get any publications or info on the net about my subject?[/q1]
[q1]> That would be really helpful![/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

- Jason
Simon
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Or you could get it from the horse's mouth itself, so to speak, and read Tim Berners-Lee's (inventor
of HTML and the WWW) account, "Weaving the Web."

Mark Hill <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

[q1]> On Tue, 2 Jul 2002 20:53:42 +0200, Karin Feldbacher <[email protected]> wrote:[/q1]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> I'm working on a paper about how to create meaning on the internet. I'm trying to evaluate[/q2]
[q2]>> different web sites and explain how meaning is transported but as this topic goes somehow far[/q2]
[q2]>> beyond simple text semantics I'm lacking some theoretical background on hypertext etc.[/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q2]>> Does anyone know where and how I could get any publications or info on the net about my subject?[/q2]
[q2]>> That would be really helpful![/q2]
[q2]>>[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Perhaps looking in to the history of hypertext and hypermedia would be helpful? John Naughton's 'A[/q1]
[q1]> brief history of the future' goes in this a little bit. www.briefhistory.com for more info. Also,[/q1]
[q1]> maybe looking at the xanadu project might help. (The project is online somewhere, but I can't[/q1]
[q1]> remember the URL). Assuming you're an OU student, since you cross-posted in to this group, the[/q1]
[q1]> T171 course deals with information on the Internet, hypertext and hypermedia. Perhaps you've done[/q1]
[q1]> this course, in which case this infor probably isn't that useful.[/q1]
[q1]> If you want some links that this course suggests for hypertext &[/q1]
[q1]> hypermedia, I can probably dig them out for you.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Regards,[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> [Note: this message has been posted to uk.education.openuniversity only][/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

-----------== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Uncensored Usenet News ==----------
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =-----
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (163)
15.61%
Uncertainty around my education (171)
16.38%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (101)
9.67%
Isolating with family (71)
6.8%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.74%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.62%
Loneliness (104)
9.96%
Financial worries (46)
4.41%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.62%

Watched Threads