The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
out of self catering ensuite, which is better...st peters or broadgate?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Tell me about University Park :smile: Which hall did you like best in Uni Park and why? And which one didn't you like and why?

I'm *hoping* I'd get allocated to preferbly Cripps, Florence Boot or Hugh Stewart. Any details on those halls? - even though it's not like we get a choice but who cares.
Reply 3
irisng
Tell me about University Park :smile: Which hall did you like best in Uni Park and why? And which one didn't you like and why?

I'm *hoping* I'd get allocated to preferbly Cripps, Florence Boot or Hugh Stewart. Any details on those halls? - even though it's not like we get a choice but who cares.

I really liked sherwood and rutland, granted they were pretty ugly on the outside but they were just as good as everywhere else inside. The clincher was that the people were really good fun and friendly as well.

I was really surprised with Hugh Stewart actually, the hall has two sections old and new both were nice but the people were really unfriendly. It seems to be all the rich kids there and they weren't very welcoming at all.

I was quite surprised that everything was so close, I looked at the map on the website of Uni park and it looks massive but after I left Sherwood I walked up to the portland building which only took about 5 mins, accros this really nice grassy area and then some treed land. As you get closer to the centre of the campus it got loads nosier too.
Reply 4
RedKingRising
I really liked sherwood and rutland, granted they were pretty ugly on the outside but they were just as good as everywhere else inside. The clincher was that the people were really good fun and friendly as well.

I was really surprised with Hugh Stewart actually, the hall has two sections old and new both were nice but the people were really unfriendly. It seems to be all the rich kids there and they weren't very welcoming at all.

I was quite surprised that everything was so close, I looked at the map on the website of Uni park and it looks massive but after I left Sherwood I walked up to the portland building which only took about 5 mins, accros this really nice grassy area and then some treed land. As you get closer to the centre of the campus it got loads nosier too.

Hugh Stewart stuck ups? :frown: oh oh...i am not a rich kid and neither am i unfriendly (or so i think)...am lost.
Reply 5
~euarne~
Hugh Stewart stuck ups? :frown: oh oh...i am not a rick kid and neither am i unfriendly (or so i think)...am lost.

Well I'm sure not everyone's like that :smile: It's a bit like the Cambridge people all saying Trinity is the worst college ever simply cus of a certain annoying guy from that college :biggrin:

Oh right, so Cripps and Hugh Stewart would be pretty noisy? - I don't like being too isolated but I don't like noise either :redface: hence why I also wanted Flo Bo - cus it's quieter there. Friendly people are more important than a nice exterior to a hall :smile: Hmmm looks like I wouldn't exactly mind Rutland or Sherwood either then! :biggrin: Flo Bo IS a bit far away from QMC...
Reply 6
irisng
Well I'm sure not everyone's like that :smile: It's a bit like the Cambridge people all saying Trinity is the worst college ever simply cus of a certain annoying guy from that college :biggrin:

Oh right, so Cripps and Hugh Stewart would be pretty noisy? - I don't like being too isolated but I don't like noise either :redface: hence why I also wanted Flo Bo - cus it's quieter there. Friendly people are more important than a nice exterior to a hall :smile: Hmmm looks like I wouldn't exactly mind Rutland or Sherwood either then! :biggrin: Flo Bo IS a bit far away from QMC...

That was my kind of reason for not wanting the bigger places. But then again, i have to be in lectures with about 250 others. Cant be that bad :redface: . Who cares, I think I am quite adaptable anyway. And I am guessing that everyone would have exams at the same time. So they ought to be revising :biggrin: Also the consultant I am working with gave be some brilliant revision tips at Nottingham (he used to be a med student and then a lecturer there :smile: ) Exterior is nice :P when it comes to buildings...hehe! Although I agree, for living purposes a friendly place is much more attractive. But I am sure many would be friendly, not so noisy and nice :smile: (oh I hope anyway)
Reply 7
~euarne~
Hugh Stewart stuck ups? :frown: oh oh...i am not a rich kid and neither am i unfriendly (or so i think)...am lost.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are some great people ther but while I was wandering around no one even attempted to make me feel welcome.
Reply 8
mizzy87
out of self catering ensuite, which is better...st peters or broadgate?

Broadgate was a bit of a building site and from what I was told it will be for the forseeable future. The buildings were nice though, if a bit small and it's right next to Uni Park.

StPeters I was really impressed with, it's really secure and the rooms were bigger thann most other places. Apparently they are having a new bus service which goes straight to uni park too :biggrin: so that'll make life easier if I go there. Theres going to be a gym there as well!!! :cool:
lol what interesting comments. That makes me feel a bit iffy about asking for accomodation at Hu Stu lol...but then again I'm sure there would be nice people there and the stuck-ups are probably all over the campuses. Its interesting how these halls almost function as a sort of club, almost like a british version of sororities and fraternities. I guess I was attracted to the outside of Hu Stu, Cribbs and Florence Boot, when I went to the campus on the open day we weren't allowed to see any of the rooms. Oh well...
Reply 10
Daniel! Now dont you leave me with HuStu :biggrin: :p: ...I am a nice ENOUGH person. hehe.

By the way RedKingRising, it is quite possible that you didnt get a warm welcome as the people are extremely stressed about their exams (well that is the impression i get from my friend there) :smile:

How was the exam? ...
~euarne~
Daniel! Now dont you leave me with HuStu :biggrin: :p: ...I am a nice ENOUGH person. hehe.

By the way RedKingRising, it is quite possible that you didnt get a warm welcome as the people are extremely stressed about their exams (well that is the impression i get from my friend there) :smile:

How was the exam? ...

Hello there. Ok then i'll send the Hu Stu e-mail lol. I think it will still be a great place to be. In fact just going to notts is a great experience...I need these grades argh!

Today went fine...we got asked about dinosaurs (worth 1/36 points) which I got wrong because we nevers studied dinosaur stuff and it wasn't on the syllabus...but I did fine knew the answers to things. In evolution they asked what physical characteristics define humans as primates. I put dexterous thumb and upright back-bone...I then crossed out the back-bone bit and changed it to large brain which is actually the right answer! :biggrin: yay! Besides the dinosaur question I did fine. My next exam is in 11 days from now! My entire class is going out today and tomorrow to celebrate...its so stressful taking up to 3 exams on a single day and a total of 12 exams in 8 days of examinations. But today was a more relaxing exam compared to History where we had to write 3 essays of about 3 pages each in one sitting.
Reply 12
dan_iel_2000
Hello there. Ok then i'll send the Hu Stu e-mail lol. I think it will still be a great place to be. In fact just going to notts is a great experience...I need these grades argh!

Today went fine...we got asked about dinosaurs (worth 1/36 points) which I got wrong because we nevers studied dinosaur stuff and it wasn't on the syllabus...but I did fine knew the answers to things. In evolution they asked what physical characteristics define humans as primates. I put dexterous thumb and upright back-bone...I then crossed out the back-bone bit and changed it to large brain which is actually the right answer! :biggrin: yay! Besides the dinosaur question I did fine. My next exam is in 11 days from now! My entire class is going out today and tomorrow to celebrate...its so stressful taking up to 3 exams on a single day and a total of 12 exams in 8 days of examinations. But today was a more relaxing exam compared to History where we had to write 3 essays of about 3 pages each in one sitting.

See, am already bullying people around :biggrin: hehe. Well I was only joking about the Hugh Stewart thing by the way! It’s pretty apparent that no one gets my jokes. :frown:

Large brain and dexterous thumb? I only knew that for I read this amazingly boring book by Mr Charles Darwin called The Origin of Species :biggrin: . And it took me eons, when most books of the same length take me at most half a week. But to return to the point it isn’t included in A Levels. Wonder what else isn't. I ought to start reading other biology books! The one we had was thick, but the content was equally thick.

I am not one who likes to write essays. Funnily enough (may be not that funny) but my favourite subject at school was maths. its one of those where you are either right or wrong...much much easier than writing things where you haven’t got a clue what the REAL answer is like - if there is any real answer is another matter entirely. But the thing that I hate more than essay writing is possible if there are word restrictions. I tend to write too much and then it’s an effort to reduce it or else you get marked down or just run out of space :redface: .

And well about dinosaurs...hehe. Sounds like our synoptic exams. Can’t remember what but I think we had something like that and I made up the answer! I make up answers for things that I don’t know; sometimes they somehow end up being right. Can’t do that anymore, they have negative markings at Nottingham. :eek:
xxx
~euarne~
See, am already bullying people around :biggrin: hehe. Well I was only joking about the Hugh Stewart thing by the way! It’s pretty apparent that no one gets my jokes. :frown:

Large brain and dexterous thumb? I only knew that for I read this amazingly boring book by Mr Charles Darwin called The Origin of Species :biggrin: . And it took me eons, when most books of the same length take me at most half a week. But to return to the point it isn’t included in A Levels. Wonder what else isn't. I ought to start reading other biology books! The one we had was thick, but the content was equally thick.

I am not one who likes to write essays. Funnily enough (may be not that funny) but my favourite subject at school was maths. its one of those where you are either right or wrong...much much easier than writing things where you haven’t got a clue what the REAL answer is like - if there is any real answer is another matter entirely. But the thing that I hate more than essay writing is possible if there are word restrictions. I tend to write too much and then it’s an effort to reduce it or else you get marked down or just run out of space :redface: .

And well about dinosaurs...hehe. Sounds like our synoptic exams. Can’t remember what but I think we had something like that and I made up the answer! I make up answers for things that I don’t know; sometimes they somehow end up being right. Can’t do that anymore, they have negative markings at Nottingham. :eek:
xxx

Don't worry I wanted to go to Hu Stu anyways lol. Yeap I also invented answers in my bio exams but just like you said for some reason they always turned out right, except for the dinosaur thing lol. I hope I do well in bio because I started studying a month ago because there is so much detail to remember...such as glutamic acid -> valine, chromosome 21, pectinase, structure of ribose, structure of an amino acid, optimum pH's for 3 diff enzymes, reproductive system, endocrine system...its just absurd how much we cover in whats meant to be a 1 year course!
Reply 14
did you get a chance to look around the halls on Jubilee Campus??
Reply 15
dan_iel_2000
Don't worry I wanted to go to Hu Stu anyways lol. Yeap I also invented answers in my bio exams but just like you said for some reason they always turned out right, except for the dinosaur thing lol. I hope I do well in bio because I started studying a month ago because there is so much detail to remember...such as glutamic acid -> valine, chromosome 21, pectinase, structure of ribose, structure of an amino acid, optimum pH's for 3 diff enzymes, reproductive system, endocrine system...its just absurd how much we cover in whats meant to be a 1 year course!

This is turning out to be a subject discussion thread, oh well.

Its shame that you cover so much and yet miss out the BEST (or what I consider to be the best) bits of biology. Neurology, cardiovascular system and other transport mechanisms and then respiration... I would guess that insulin and other glucose regulating cycles come in endocrine system! And what is this chromosome 21? Would sound absurd to many but I don’t like revising and therefore don’t do it :biggrin: . If I did I would get much better grades! But then again biology does have those bits and bobs that you got to revise for…
Reply 16
dan_iel_2000

WHOA!!! What!!?? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Right, in conclusion (from the other thread we were chatting from) - I say IB's are MUCH harder than A-Levels! - even at A2 I haven't learnt all that stuff - neither do I need to, thank God!

Neurology - I always get the feeling that I SHOULD like it just cus I'd be doing it at uni :biggrin: when in fact I really have no idea what Neurology is like :p: I just know I like the brain and psychology! We never got taught Neurology cus Ms Johnson, Bio teacher responsible for that section, never even said anything in the lessons, just gave us a load of notes and past papers :rolleyes: which is why when we come to Neurology or Pharmacology in Chemistry and doc says the biologists should already know this, we all simply grin and say, yeh, Ms Johnson never taught us it... :rolleyes:

How on earth is the cardiovascular system even remotely interesting!? :eek: Yeh, I don't like the study of: blood vessels, blood and the heart - unfortunately there's no escaping those :biggrin: in fact I don't like a large chunk of physiology cus it only tells you this does that, rather than why. Yeh none of the workings of any organs interests me... :rolleyes: Except anything on the head :biggrin: or in it :p:

I remember in year 7 we were told to research into one of any organs we wanted to - and I was gonna do the brain, actually - but I wasn't sure if the brain was an organ or not :biggrin: so I did the eye instead... so you see, I've liked the brain for a long time - just never found out about it :p:
Uni Parks nice in my opinon my x lives there so i've spent a fair bit of time there, gr8 for "corridor criket" hehe
Reply 18
Amzybaby24
Uni Parks nice in my opinon my x lives there so i've spent a fair bit of time there, gr8 for "corridor criket" hehe

What's corridor criket? :p: sounds fun!

Which hall did you ex live in then? - was the hall nice? :smile:
irisng
What's corridor criket? :p: sounds fun!

Which hall did you ex live in then? - was the hall nice? :smile:

to be honest im not such which one lol corridor criket excactly how it sounds! playign criket ina corridor, dangerous i u exit a room lol !

n erm yes it was nice about 3 flooers and 10 rooms on each (ish) sahring a bathroom between two!

Latest

Trending

Trending