The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Question about sport in Loughborough? Click here first before you ask.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hey, this probs wont be seen as no ones replied on here in a while haha but anyways, does anyone know how hard it is to get into one of the womens field hockey teams? and how high is the standard?
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 81
Original post by Rodpodd
Hey, this probs wont be seen as no ones replied on here in a while haha but anyways, does anyone know how hard it is to get into one of the womens field hockey teams? and how high is the standard?

I have the same question(s), but for the Ultimate Frisbee team... heh :smile:
how competitive is the table tennis team?
Reply 83
Obviously, Loughborough is known well for being great at sport. But is there the option to play sport if you just want to have a bit of fun at not too high a standard. I love playing football but I know I'm not all that good. Thanks.

EDIT: I'm a bit of a pleb and didnt read the FAQ. Sorry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hi !

I've been playing rugby for the first XV of my local club in France for several years so really looking forward to getting stuck in at Loughborough.

But I also love Rugby 7s, so I just wanted to know if it's a popular sport at Loughborough. Or will you have to organise a team yourself once you get there ?

Cheers !

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 85
Hi there,

Is it difficult to get involved in athletics if I've never done it before? are there some tests whether im good enough or can everyone join? And I wanna get back on competing not just recreational

cheers guys
Reply 86
Original post by alk
Hi there,

Is it difficult to get involved in athletics if I've never done it before? are there some tests whether im good enough or can everyone join? And I wanna get back on competing not just recreational

cheers guys

I'm not sure about competing for the university, or just training in Athletics, but I know that there are IMS Athletics events, where you could represent your hall in the different events, olympic/sportsday-style. As there are less people in each hall, and people in the Athletics club can't represent their halls (afaik), then you could definitely get involved in something like that in a fun but competitive way. :biggrin:
Reply 87
Hi everyone, apologies for the lack of contact - everything you need should be in this post below. Any other questions which aren't answered, please get back to us. If you're coming to Loughborough in September (GREAT DECISION), you can find the official freshers page on facebook to post any questions/queries!

Uni Sports Clubs:

Loughborough Sport has just launched it’s brand new website access this via lufbra.net/au
The Athletic Union (AU) run 53 different clubs - follow the president on Twitter @LufbraAUPres

AU Club list: lufbra.net/au/auclubs

Other sports which you can’t find in the AU section will be run by Societies

Students Union (SU) Societies: lufbra.net/societies/socslist/

Training and game commitments can vary hugely depending on which club you’re in and which team you’re in within that club!
Come down to the AU Sports Bazaar to find out more info on 6th/7th October in the Sir David Wallace Sports Hall!

Intramural Sport (IMS):
A competitive league between halls on campus where "IMS Points" are awarded for wins.

Played competitively most of the time, but less serious than AU club sport. Pretty much anyone can have a go, each hall will have trials throughout freshers week and beyond.

You will never know if you're good enough unless you try!

More IMS info here

I’ve heard of My Lifestyle, what is that?
This is the recreational sport program at Loughborough. Totally FREE activities are run throughout the year in a massive range of sports (timetables change every semester).
If you don’t want the commitment of training, playing for a student club or IMS team, and just fancy a bit of fun and a kick about, then this is for you!
All activities are led by either a qualified coach or one of our student activators and they link with the student clubs.
Also, over the past 12 months, four brand new facilities have been installed on campus ballpark, gamespark, beachpark and paddock pitch! These are all turn up & play recreational facilities, completely FREE for anyone to use!
All info can be found here
Or, follow them on twitter @MyLifestyleLuf and Facebook My Lifestyle

"I've heard Loughborough is really sporty, will I fit in if I don't play a sport?/Is everyone there an Athlete?"
Loughborough is the top university in the country for sports. Fact. This doesn’t mean that you have to be good enough for GB to enjoy the experience! It’s also the top university in the country for ‘Student Experience’ (for the last five years in a row, actually!)

No-one will force you to play a sport, there are so many opportunities to get involved in recreational activities, volunteering or coaching or anything not related to sport!

What about gyms? I want to get massive/get fit/lose weight!!!

There are two Main Gyms on Campus, these are LUFS (Loughborough University Fitness Suite) and Powerbase (known as Base)

LUFS
Includes everything you need from a gym:
Freeweights section
Selection of Resistance Machines
Stretching area
Treadmills, X-Trainers, Steppers, Bikes, etc
Sauna
Spa pool
Steam Room

POWERBASE
One of the biggest and most modern gyms in Great Britain. The main gym that GB used in their preparation camp before the Olympics!
Very impressive, was re-vamped and opened at the start of this year.

Off campus, the Radmoor centre is also good value!

Sounds awesome... how much?

One payment of £199 will give you access to both of these gyms, as well as the 50m swimming pool on campus very good value! Or you can pay termly info here!
All fitness classes are £1.50 and run throughout the year, also excellent value! Timetable will soon be up here!

Thank you!
Reply 88
Original post by LboroSport

One payment of £199 will give you access to both of these gyms, as well as the 50m swimming pool on campus very good value!

Desperately want to improve fitness whilst at uni, so well up for the gym membership, but does the £199 cover both gyms AND the swimming pool? The site mentions a different membership for the pool.

"SWIMMING MEMBERSHIPS Student

Student Academic Year Pass £115.00"
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 89
Yes, the £199 does definitely include the swimming pool. The website has now been updated to make that clearer!

You will be able to buy your membership online soon!
i've seen on the website that for some courses we have to buy sports kit . Its quite costly, what does it consist of?
Reply 91
Original post by cashmoneyorg
i've seen on the website that for some courses we have to buy sports kit . Its quite costly, what does it consist of?

Tbh you only need it if you are doing the module 'teaching and coaching'.
Last year it consisted of:

1 T Shirt
2 Polos
1 Sweat Pants
1 Tracksuit
1 Pair of Socks
1 Pair of Shorts
1 Zip Hoodie
1 Gilet

Like I said, you don't really have to have it but it is pretty nice stash :smile:
Reply 92
Can you use facilities by yourself? Like the athletics track?
Original post by hawkesy_1
Tbh you only need it if you are doing the module 'teaching and coaching'.
Last year it consisted of:

1 T Shirt
2 Polos
1 Sweat Pants
1 Tracksuit
1 Pair of Socks
1 Pair of Shorts
1 Zip Hoodie
1 Gilet

Like I said, you don't really have to have it but it is pretty nice stash :smile:

Oh that's cool. Because on the additional course costs sports kit was next to
Sports sciences.

What are the essential things we need for freshers/starting our courses? I have no idea of how much money I should bring.
Reply 94
Original post by cashmoneyorg
Oh that's cool. Because on the additional course costs sports kit was next to
Sports sciences.

What are the essential things we need for freshers/starting our courses? I have no idea of how much money I should bring.

Tbh you can just wing it for the first few weeks. You aren't expected to do too much, it's all introductions in the lectures. I'd recommend finding out your modules then getting some folders ready for it. (No one else had prepared this but I did and it made me much more prepared come exam time :smile:) The first few weeks of lectures are very easy, you're just getting settled in. Also by the second week everyone has fresher's flu and all you can hear is coughing in the lecture theatres so you can't really learn much.
In terms of books for your course I would say don't bother buying any. For first year you don't need books enough to buy them, just loan them from the library. The majority of the library books are also online as well, that should all be explained to you in your first week of lectures.

For freshers I'd recommend finding out what events you have and buying some of the dressing up stuff. Also take some food with you because you won't get the chance to go shopping on the first day or two. When I arrived at my hall (Bill Mo) we were outside doing freshers stuff by 4 or 5pm. Personally I spent £500 on freshers but that was very excessive and I had been working full time so I had a lot saved up. This year I plan on spending about £250, make sure you buy cheap alcohol, own brand spirits and offers on multiple crates are the way forward :smile:

Not long to go now, prepare yourself for one of the best fortnight's of your life :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by cazah
Can you use facilities by yourself? Like the athletics track?

Yep, you can either buy a yearly membership for £140 (as stated on the website) or pay for casual use which is £3/£4 a time!
Original post by hawkesy_1
Tbh you can just wing it for the first few weeks. You aren't expected to do too much, it's all introductions in the lectures. I'd recommend finding out your modules then getting some folders ready for it. (No one else had prepared this but I did and it made me much more prepared come exam time :smile:) The first few weeks of lectures are very easy, you're just getting settled in. Also by the second week everyone has fresher's flu and all you can hear is coughing in the lecture theatres so you can't really learn much.
In terms of books for your course I would say don't bother buying any. For first year you don't need books enough to buy them, just loan them from the library. The majority of the library books are also online as well, that should all be explained to you in your first week of lectures.

For freshers I'd recommend finding out what events you have and buying some of the dressing up stuff. Also take some food with you because you won't get the chance to go shopping on the first day or two. When I arrived at my hall (Bill Mo) we were outside doing freshers stuff by 4 or 5pm. Personally I spent £500 on freshers but that was very excessive and I had been working full time so I had a lot saved up. This year I plan on spending about £250, make sure you buy cheap alcohol, own brand spirits and offers on multiple crates are the way forward :smile:

Not long to go now, prepare yourself for one of the best fortnight's of your life :smile:

Thanks for your help mate.
Reply 97
If you're interested in doing anything sport/exercise/activity related here at Loughborough, please take our very short survey so that we know a bit about you before you arrive!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LoughboroughSportSurvey

Look forward to seeing you all in September!
Reply 98
Im doing the sport science with management course and I was wondering if the teaching and coaching module is worth doing? I don't have that much experience in coaching but I would like to do it as I feel it will be useful and give me a bit of a confidence booster in that area. Will there be other people who do the module that dont have that much experience in it like me and do most people do that module?
Reply 99
Original post by cazah
Im doing the sport science with management course and I was wondering if the teaching and coaching module is worth doing? I don't have that much experience in coaching but I would like to do it as I feel it will be useful and give me a bit of a confidence booster in that area. Will there be other people who do the module that dont have that much experience in it like me and do most people do that module?

I did my Sport Management first year last year but I didn't take the teaching and coaching module. Tbh a lot of my friends did it and it is a relatively easy module, however it does break up the monotony of lectures so it is worth doing. If you wanted to go into coaching you can also extend it into your second year so it is worth doing. There will be a wide range of abilities in the lecture and they certainly won't put you on the spot, the coursework is group based. It is quite a popular module and tbh if I had the choice to go back I'd probably do it. They basically teach you how to coach several things, inluding swimming, dance etc. And no you don't have to be any good at these sports specifically, I know some rugby lads that did it (including dance!) and said it was hilarious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending