Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anyone any suggestions to get rid of imsomnia? i really don't think making new words out of old ones is going to work.... (got you stuck with hall's soothers, mwuhahaha).
    I've honestly tried everything + normally i can cope with it, but when i have exams i really freak out + get tired + then ill + i don't do my best.

rep to the best suggestions! (trust me if it works, i would be eternally grateful)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    wild sex always works for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnfinity)
    wild sex always works for me.
    lol, yeah, but not always the most practical suggestion- i'm sure my parents would have a problem with me bringing random guys home every night if they knew it helped me sleep...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Try lavender - have a nice hot bath with laveder bubble bath so that you get all relaxed then go to bed. If you haven't got time for a bath, then buy some lavender scented candles and burn them for 5mins by your bed,so that the scent gets everywhere, should help a little.

Also Boots do a good pillow spray (its pinky colour, can't remember how much it costs), it helped me loads when I had a period of not sleeping when I had my exams.

Also turning round so that your head is at the wronng end of the bed - sseems weird but sometimes if you aren't in the normal position it heps get you to sleep!!!

Failing all that, try counting sheep!!!

ReputationRep:
    Do something physical, like some sit ups, or push ups or something. Then dress really really warm, and drink a little bit of milk. You'll be so damn knackered it's unbelievable.

Let me know if it works.......although, if it works, you shouldnt be able to let me know. Hmm....paradoxical...I like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chicken)
    Try lavender - have a nice hot bath with laveder bubble bath so that you get all relaxed then go to bed. If you haven't got time for a bath, then buy some lavender scented candles and burn them for 5mins by your bed,so that the scent gets everywhere, should help a little.

Also Boots do a good pillow spray (its pinky colour, can't remember how much it costs), it helped me loads when I had a period of not sleeping when I had my exams.

Also turning round so that your head is at the wronng end of the bed - sseems weird but sometimes if you aren't in the normal position it heps get you to sleep!!!

Failing all that, try counting sheep!!!
    thanks, i'll try that stuff. i've done the pillow thing before- sometimes works.

i think i'm nocturnal- i could seriously change my sleeping pattern from about 4/5am til about neighbours time (bout 2pm). sadly it's not practical so i end up just getting really deep when i have to get up.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chimp_spanner)
    Do something physical, like some sit ups, or push ups or something. Then dress really really warm, and drink a little bit of milk. You'll be so damn knackered it's unbelievable.

Let me know if it works.......although, if it works, you shouldnt be able to let me know. Hmm....paradoxical...I like it.
    yeah, i've tried the whole do exercise thing, then i tried no exercise at all. i tried warm milky drinks, hot baths (but not too hot)... i've tried cutting out cafine after 6pm (not that i have huge amounts anyway)... nothing seems to make a difference. the other week i'd had an operation, was still all full of anaesthetic + was knackered, but still struggled to get to sleep.... i think it's a case of i find it very difficult to switch off. i have got this kinda yoga thing which is pretty relaxing, but it's not a miracle-worker.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    Ha. Wow. Anesthetic knocked me out for like, a week when I had my wisdom teeth out.

I went through a phase though where I just couldn't sleep. Lots of energy ya know. And I kept coming up with really cool ideas really late at night, so I'd plug my guitar in and start jamming until, ooh, ello, the sun's up and the birds are out. Hehe.

Oh well. The only thing I would say is heat. Heat makes me really tired, but it has to be from like, an open fire, or central heating, so not sweaty heat, but dry. Other than that, I dunno. Just live with it till it goes away....you'll drop off eventually

ReputationRep:
    Do you really have insomnia -or just difficulty getting to sleep? I often find it takes me 1-2 hours to get to sleep at night, though I don't think this is actually insomnia.

I haven't found anything which works except drinkquite a bit of alcohol beofre going to bed. It makes me fall asleep very fast and i feel fine in the morning - the problem is getting the balance right

I can't really suggest anything else - I've just sort of learned to live with going to bed at 12 and not actually falling asleep until around 2.

ReputationRep:
    Carahealio (thats not how u spell it mind) its a spanish drink which is just coffee and brandy, had it in lanzorate and believe me, suprisingly for coffee it makes you very sleepy

http://www.ivillage.com/food/recipef...402702,00.html

ReputationRep:
    My normal way to get to sleep is to put the radio on. Just enough so u can her it. Normanlly radio 4 as it is boring. Or a faster way is to put a track album on that u really like. Trust me, even if u want to hear the end of it, u will be out like a candle. (any reps?)

ReputationRep:
    try eating a turkey sandwich. and when you go to bed take a really boring book. it works for me.

ReputationRep:
    Here's an idea that I use, and will never fail:

Quite simply, only sleep every other night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Here's an idea that I use, and will never fail:

Quite simply, only sleep every other night.
    lol,yeah that will work!
    i suppose drinking herbal tea helps, it relaxes you and trust me, it really does work. Go for the strawberry flavoured one,its the best!

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or does anyone else sneeze constantly if they haven't had enough sleep?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999)
    is it just me or does anyone else sneeze constantly if they haven't had enough sleep?
    Um.... I think it's just you.

ReputationRep:
    I put myself through an intense workout session when I absolutely can't get to sleep. Then take a hot shower, the steam is relaxing especially w/ some lavender shampoo. I crash fairly easily afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    I put myself through an intense workout session when I absolutely can't get to sleep. Then take a hot shower, the steam is relaxing especially w/ some lavender shampoo. I crash fairly easily afterwards.
    same as! i also drink herbal tea...strawberry...

ReputationRep:
    I've got the same problem - I lay awake for hours until I fall asleep! If I try and busy myself trying to do things that need doing (AS chemistry homework...), I get tired and bored. Then when I do go to bed, again, - I still lie awake!

Lou, mind me asking what job your mum did/what her sleeping patterns were like while you were a wee foetus? I'm trying to come to some conclusion why some people find sleep more difficult than others - my mum worked nights (as a nurse) when I was in her tummy.

Night Nurse cold medicine really knocks you out, but I don't want to rely on it.

Classical music? Boring ourselves to sleep might work

Jo xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JuniperBlue)
    I've got the same problem - I lay awake for hours until I fall asleep! If I try and busy myself trying to do things that need doing (AS chemistry homework...), I get tired and bored. Then when I do go to bed, again, - I still lie awake!

Lou, mind me asking what job your mum did/what her sleeping patterns were like while you were a wee foetus? I'm trying to come to some conclusion why some people find sleep more difficult than others - my mum worked nights (as a nurse) when I was in her tummy.

Night Nurse cold medicine really knocks you out, but I don't want to rely on it.

Classical music? Boring ourselves to sleep might work

Jo xx
    You eventually build up a tolerance to the cold medicine anyway, same for sleeping pills.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.