Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    You eventually build up a tolerance to the cold medicine anyway
    Or a reliance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr White)
    Or a reliance.
    That also, I just tend to become imune after afew days. Hmmm, do you think the fact that i drink alot of mt. dew could possibly affect my sleep? Nah, thats just crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infinity)
    That also, I just tend to become imune after afew days. Hmmm, do you think the fact that i drink alot of mt. dew could possibly affect my sleep?
    You never know what they might have put in it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    Do you really have insomnia -or just difficulty getting to sleep? I often find it takes me 1-2 hours to get to sleep at night, though I don't think this is actually insomnia.
    I'm not sure really- but it's not a case of just not getting to sleep- it's waking up constantly through the night and the feeling that i've not slept properly at all, i'm always tired + i can wake up in the morning and feel like i've only had about 2 hours sleep. and i'm like that every night

(Original post by JuniperBlue)
    I've got the same problem - I lay awake for hours until I fall asleep! If I try and busy myself trying to do things that need doing (AS chemistry homework...), I get tired and bored. Then when I do go to bed, again, - I still lie awake!

Lou, mind me asking what job your mum did/what her sleeping patterns were like while you were a wee foetus? I'm trying to come to some conclusion why some people find sleep more difficult than others - my mum worked nights (as a nurse) when I was in her tummy.

Night Nurse cold medicine really knocks you out, but I don't want to rely on it.

Classical music? Boring ourselves to sleep might work

Jo xx
    errrm, i like your theory, but i'm not sure how good it is... my mum didn't work when she was pregnant + she was a teacher anyway... and i have a twin brother who could sleep anywhere...

i can't take night nurse because i'm asthmatic... i do occasionally take nitol- but only if i know i really have to sleep (like during exams).

i went to a lecture on sleep patterns at oxford- they found that imsomniacs only get about 30 minutes less sleep per night, but have both their sleeping brain waves + their awake brain waves happeningat the same time- so bascially their body is asleep, but they're still semi-conscious. that does make sense -there are some times when i know i'm awake because i'm thining, but i don't have enough energy to even open my eyes nevermind actually move.

thnax for all your suggestions guys

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    put kraftwerk on low volume in the background. thatll put you into a sleep-like trance

ReputationRep:
    try readin war and peace. apparently thats good for gettin to sleep.

or reading actual laws. u can find them on the net

ReputationRep:
    hmmmm, this is a long shot (do you sense the sarcasm), but maybe you should go to the doctors, cry your heart out about it, ask him to presceribe sleeping pills?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Caddie)
    hmmmm, this is a long shot (do you sense the sarcasm), but maybe you should go to the doctors, cry your heart out about it, ask him to presceribe sleeping pills?????
    my dr knows and came up with the usual stuff of have a hot bath, a warm milky drink, no caffine... cos i would never have thought of those myself. they don't want to prescribe to someone my age + he was the one who suggested the nitol when i really have to sleep... i would be reluctant to take sleeping pills anyway. i'm sure there must be something i could do...

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i can't take night nurse because i'm asthmatic... i do occasionally take nitol- but only if i know i really have to sleep (like during exams).
    I'm asthmatic and take night nurse, not the liquid one though, doesn't affect me...

ReputationRep:
    Judt take a sleeping tablet, that allways work for me, and u alest have 3hrs sleep

Anne

ReputationRep:
    What works for me if I can't sleep is music. Either a decent slow jam to soothe, or some rock or (nu-)metal. Trust me, the latter works. It frees the excess energy and aggression inside you, and you can sleep all worn out mentally...

Linkin Park's Crawling Reanimation is perfect for this, it begins slow and soothing but then you get the hard stuff...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loftx)
    I haven't found anything which works except drink quite a bit of alcohol beofre going to bed. It makes me fall asleep very fast and i feel fine in the morning - the problem is getting the balance right
    Alcohol does work but be careful not to rely on it otherwise you could end up in a clinic!

I have no suggestion to lou p lou other than to try to devote more time to physical activity during the day e.g. running, gym, tennis, hockey etc. whatever you enjoy doing that involves a bit of energy. Try to relax before going to bed too, prepare for bed a couple of hours before you usually would and watch TV while drinking hot orange. Religiously stick to a time for sleep and make sure all work is completed well in advance so your mind isn't active when you're trying to nod off.

A lot of students seem to suffer from damaged sleep patterns due to the lifestyles we lead! I regularly go to the doctor and he's given me sleeping pills which knock me out when I take them, maybe that is the answer if it is getting in the way of your studies, lou p lou?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.