Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi to everyone, couldnt think of a better way to start things off and saw a couple people dabble/seriously into music producing etc. What hardware, software etc have you got? And what type of music you produce?

Meh, dunno how far this will go but nevermind.....

My setup:

Software: Fruityloops, Cubase SX2, a plethora of VSTi's
    Hardware: None at present, getting a keyboard for christmas woooo!
    Music Style: From house and commercial dance to hard trance and variations.....

Also the key question, how much time do you spend doing this while studying and when? I find I end up staying awake late into the night if I start doing things, in fact I havent been to sleep yet today but its the weekend and nothing was going on :/

ReputationRep:
    what's up man!

i am a music producer too and have amassed over 100,000 plays on my mp3.com website mp3.com/streetwizebeats but i don't upload alot of my new stuff nowadays due to being jacked twice of beats from phoneys who have tried to sell my beats for cheaper prices than i did.

but i do have some stuff @ soundclick.com/swize and soundclick.com/streetwize

software: fruityloops, cool edit pro 2, acid pro 4.0, cubase sx
    hardware: turntable, roland pc-300 midi controller

i also work at a studio in hendon called 206 Productions and work with artists alot

btw, i mainly make urban, hip-hop underground beats

at the start of next year, i am going to be releasing a track with a new artist who has been signed to sony and should be getting released in the early part of 2004 - feb/march time

thats my info anyway.

streetwize

ReputationRep:
    I produce music too. I don't get much time to do it because of the exams (doing A2 - Maths, Physics, ICT). I try to allocate one evening a week to do that. At the moment I try to produce HipHop and R&B. You can check out two unfinished songs http://www.trialproductions.co.uk in music section.

Equipment:
    Computer with cheap SB Live! and a lot of VSTi instruments.

ReputationRep:
    I want to get into music production, so can anyone recommend some nice easy-to-use software with loads of instruments that you can play with only a MIDI keyboard? How much can I find it for? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a demo of eJay.

I don't know how it's rated by enthusiasts, but to a novice it was easy to use and effective. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few other producers on here, I'm impressed

I produce trance/prog/breaks, using fruity loops with a load of plugins (vaz, fm7, pro 53, absynth...).

ReputationRep:
    oh no no no, its all about cubase! my advise is u get a copy of cubase where from? KAZAA! preferably sx. as long as ur machine is at least 500mhz pentium 3 or athlon and u hve a good sound card, u can use wot they call virtual instruments (ie these little patches u dl which feature real sounds from say an electric guitar) then u need to get hld of a midi keyboard (which u cnt get of KAZAA! lol) theyre bout £50. once uve connected it u have it.. a perfect starter kit. have u ever done MIDI bfore eg at skl. Its wot the profs use. easy once u get used to it..made a couple of tunes myself, neway i had to use it for music gcse 4 composition. gd luck, if u didnt understand someparts, dnt hesitate to reply to this post

ReputationRep:
    eJay is a big NO! The best and cheapest and legal way to start is to use ModPlug at www.modplug.com (supports MIDI keyboard and samples and even VST instruments) This is how I started off anyway. Once you have played around and learned something with ModPlug, you can try Cubase. I recommend Cubase SX and also Reason as it uses more or less the same interface.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emporium)
    Quite a few other producers on here, I'm impressed

I produce trance/prog/breaks, using fruity loops with a load of plugins (vaz, fm7, pro 53, absynth...).
    I erm... well... yeh.

ReputationRep:
    My setup is:

PC: Logic Audio Platinum
    Korg Triton Rack
    Korg NS5R
    Access Virus C
    Behringer UB2442FX-PRO
    Creamware Pulsar II
    Yamaha NS-10M Studio
    I used to have Tehcnics 1210

My style is anything that comes to my mind

most of the time when something gets into my head i do the loop so i dont forget and leave it in my computer for future use, i must have 100´s of them but only 10% actually make it to a final track.

ReputationRep:
    Funny that... I have loads of loops as. Never have time or enough imagination to develop them any further.

ReputationRep:
    CPU: celeron 366
    RAM: 160 sd
    Sound: Yamaha ds-xg, 128 wavetable
    CD: liteon CD/rw
    Software: audacity, nero wave editor, Anvil studio, Musicmatch. (these are all free!)
    There's life left in this old beast use it for making CD's, mp3 and MIDIs.
    visit http://alweb.port5.com for my midis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godmaster)
    oh no no no, its all about cubase! my advise is u get a copy of cubase where from? KAZAA! preferably sx. as long as ur machine is at least 500mhz pentium 3 or athlon and u hve a good sound card, u can use wot they call virtual instruments (ie these little patches u dl which feature real sounds from say an electric guitar) then u need to get hld of a midi keyboard (which u cnt get of KAZAA! lol) theyre bout £50. once uve connected it u have it.. a perfect starter kit. have u ever done MIDI bfore eg at skl. Its wot the profs use. easy once u get used to it..made a couple of tunes myself, neway i had to use it for music gcse 4 composition. gd luck, if u didnt understand someparts, dnt hesitate to reply to this post
    Currently downloading Cubase SX, even on broadband it looks like it'll take a few days...
    But after that, and purchasing a keyboard, I'll be the next Dizzee Rascal! (with a completelty different style...) Fix Up Look Sharp!

ReputationRep:
    • AthlonXP 2800+
    • 1Gig Crucial DDR
    • Maxtor 40 Gig HD (bit on the small side really)
    • M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96 ASIO soundcard
    • GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP8x w/128MB DDR - hey, even music producers like the odd bout of UT2003!
    • Cubase SX2
    • Reason 2.5
    • About a zillion plugins, amp modellers, samplers, dynamics processors, yadayada
    • WinXP - of course
    • Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul Classic 7 string
    • Schecter Stiletto Deluxe active 5 string
    • 10 channel mini-mixer and DI box
    • Roland PC-180 MIDI Keyboard Controller - very small. It sucks.

And here's what it all sounds like in action!!

www . soundclick . com / chimpspanner

I had to put spaces in cos the forum mucked up the link!! So just take the spaces out

If ya bother to have a snoop, check out "Smiles and Cries" and "Jacob's Ladder". The other tracks are okay, but I like these ones the best

Laters all!!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I like Smiles And Cries! And if you want to make a good link, type http:// before the rest of the address.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers ZJuwelH

Ahh, yup, I'm silly. Missed out the http. I'll remember that next time!

ReputationRep:
    does ne1 know y when i try to load cubase sx on windows xp prof, i get an error message around the lines protection error and then it shuts down ne1 on this site who uses SX with Win XP PRof? help needed!

ReputationRep:
    jeez, didnt know thered be so many replies :cool: nice one guys

Saintsin, you are truly a pimp with that Virus C - have wanted one for ages but are waaaaaay to expensive for me at the moment

If you want to start producing music the Fruityloops is a good point, it has a very nice user interface and you can get something going in seconds. Also, its very good to use at a professional level as it is so versatile and you can do so much with it. There are plently of professional producers who use this coupled with vsts and other programs.

Hmmm, I dont actually have anything up at the moment but judging by what you guys produce I doubt itd get listened to anyway

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here around the northampton area who is experienced, and interested in co producing some tracks in the styles of Trance/NRG/Techno?? Im 21 years old, and am looking to try and make it in this business

I use
    2 Yamaha RM1Xs
    Kaoss 1 and 2 pads
    Carillon Core 4 Comp
    Korg MS2000
    Emu XL7
    Beringer 3282A Eurodesk
    Korg Triton Rack
    Sp 808 ex
    Oberheim MC2000 midi controller
    Dynaudio monitors
    Motu 2408 audio interface
    Steinberg Midex 8
    Waves Plugins
    Cubase sx, cubase vst 5
    Ibanez RG series guitar
    Matrix 1300 watt amp
    Hafler studio amp
    Other VSTs

Let me know if you are interested.
    contact [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OoJoeLeShockoO)
    Is anyone here around the northampton area who is experienced, and interested in co producing some tracks in the styles of Trance/NRG/Techno?? Im 21 years old, and am looking to try and make it in this business

I use
    2 Yamaha RM1Xs
    Kaoss 1 and 2 pads
    Carillon Core 4 Comp
    Korg MS2000
    Emu XL7
    Beringer 3282A Eurodesk
    Korg Triton Rack
    Sp 808 ex
    Oberheim MC2000 midi controller
    Dynaudio monitors
    Motu 2408 audio interface
    Steinberg Midex 8
    Waves Plugins
    Cubase sx, cubase vst 5
    Ibanez RG series guitar
    Matrix 1300 watt amp
    Hafler studio amp
    Other VSTs

Let me know if you are interested.
    contact [email protected]

hey sounds like a decent setup you have, ive produced a few tracks and released them recently. I live in Bristol however.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.