Turn on thread page Beta

Getting an A in AS level Biology - AQA B watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone studied this syllabus manage to get an A grade? What helped you the most? and do you have any advice?

ReputationRep:
    I did Human Biology (spec A I think) but got an A in AS and 90/90 in the january module.

Use the books by Bill Indge and co. They are the chief examiners and everything in their books is relevent and there are extension sections aswell which regularly crop up in the later questions. Very clearly explained, definitions for key words/phrases and good diagrams to explain things clearly. Only gripe with it is that the practice questions dont have any answers to it so you dont know if you got it right or not but they're mostly past exam questions.

Biology

Human Biology

Use it like a bible

ReputationRep:
    what was the title?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, just posted links up to them above. Also availible for the A2.

ReputationRep:
    You might find this site useful http://www.mrothery.co.uk

I'm doing AS AQA B too. Just do loads of past papers over and over again! lol

ReputationRep:
    I got an A... I can't really say what helped me the most though, as I'm the sort of person in biology that hears information once, and around 80% sticks first time, the rest doesn't take long for me to learn. I guess it's because I'm really interested in it, so revising it in an interesting way could help I suppose. Doing past papers and then marking them yourself can help too, mainly because you get to know the style the examiner wants an answer in. Getting to know key words is always a good idea, make sure you can write definitions of each one, as that seems to be a popular type of question (such as 'describe water potential'). Erm... That's it off the top of my head I'm afraid!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing AQA - B, and managed to get an A in the January module. The best thing you can do is lots of past papers.

ReputationRep:
    i am doing AQA human biology this june AS--- do u guys know what % is an A- my teacher seems to think its 68%... but a) i dont believe him b) he is stupid... c) wouldnt 68% be too easy for an A? :confused: --- not that i am complaining--- i wud love that to be true

ReputationRep:
    I got an A (284/300). I did not revise for biology, just did loads of past peapers to make sure I will write exactly what examiners want. It is not about knowledge or being clever, just right exam technique. 90% of the answer is in the question and stimulus material (graphs, tables etc) provided.

ReputationRep:
    I do AQA B biology, I am on an A at the moment with two papers of my ALevel left, to be honest I think you could get a lot of information from the AQA text book if you use that to work from. I basically just learnt from their text book, you can't go wrong!

ReputationRep:
    on the website (AQA) it says that 58/75 is an A.... it doesnt seem too hard :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I have an A at AS and still have the three A2 exams to take.
    I'm using the collins AQA B books at the moment and they seem to be very good. Past papers from the AQA website are also essential.
    Around 65% of the raw marks on a paper seems to be an A, according to the examiners reports.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belis)
    I got an A (284/300). I did not revise for biology, just did loads of past peapers to make sure I will write exactly what examiners want. It is not about knowledge or being clever, just right exam technique. 90% of the answer is in the question and stimulus material (graphs, tables etc) provided.
    Obviously there are some parts where you just need to KNOW the facts but that's so true it's unbelievable. There are a lot of give-away marks in biology where you get credit for sometimes stating the complete obvious (sometimes just what is written in the question) and although questions may look hard, when you go through a mark scheme or whatever they're sometimes dead obvious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    Obviously there are some parts where you just need to KNOW the facts but that's so true it's unbelievable. There are a lot of give-away marks in biology where you get credit for sometimes stating the complete obvious (sometimes just what is written in the question) and although questions may look hard, when you go through a mark scheme or whatever they're sometimes dead obvious.
    im doing it this year, personally, i think saying most of it is exam technique is a total exaggeration, id say aout 60percent was just knowing the hard facts in the 1st paper, theres so much to memorize

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you still need to know the stuff they teach you but that is a given. The hard part, imo, is working out what marks are being given for and using [sometimes not so] subtle hints in the question to get the marks. You can know a lot of facts and not get the marks allocated.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.