Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just finished my first year yesterday. I have a great feeling of emptiness, almost like I should be doing some work or something.

Went out last night so not going to the pub this evening.

FOUR months off.

ReputationRep:
    Show off show off pick your nose and blow off :reddy: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Just finished my first year yesterday. I have a great feeling of emptiness, almost like I should be doing some work or something.

Went out last night so not going to the pub this evening.

FOUR months off.
    !!! Thanks for that.... !! *exam season approaches for the rest of us*

ReputationRep:
    I think that we are the earliest university to start (usually around mid September) so we finish early (I have had end of year exams too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    I think that we are the earliest university to start (usually around mid September) so we finish early (I have had end of year exams too).
    We started mid-september but term doesn't finish until the end of may

ReputationRep:
    I too finished my exams (yesterday). Now I just need to find a job so I can pay for next years rent.

ReputationRep:
    Term does not officially finish until next Saturday but the summer ball is this weekend. Despite this some unfortunates have exams next week!

ReputationRep:
    I've got my 2nd exam on Friday and the last one on the 24th of this month. Counting down the days till the start of summer!

ReputationRep:
    It was my last ever lecture today that was emotional, I still have loads of work to do though. We went to pub and had a big debate about chavism and politics.

In a few weeks time I will no longer be a student, I miss having proper conversations and I will miss being one of the popular ones. I think I am going to get depressed soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    It was my last ever lecture today that was emotional, I still have loads of work to do though. We went to pub and had a big debate about chavism and politics.

In a few weeks time I will no longer be a student, I miss having proper conversations and I will miss being one of the popular ones. I think I am going to get depressed soon.
    Yeah my last day as a student is a scary thought. Still since I intend on completing this degree, then studying for a phd, then studying medicine, I have a few more years yet!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    Yeah my last day as a student is a scary thought. Still since I intend on completing this degree, then studying for a phd, then studying medicine, I have a few more years yet!!!
    :eek: why go down the PhD route??!

ReputationRep:
    I was like you (although you have no choice as you need it for your career path) but when I first started I was like I want to do a masters, I was evening considering a degree. Now there is no way I could cope with either. I am stressed out, tired and I have just had enough. I have loads fo work to do for tomorrow but my concentrations gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    :eek: why go down the PhD route??!
    Well I always liked the idea of getting a PhD to satisfy the scientist within me! hehe! I want to leave my mark (however small) in the scientific community as well! However, given my oldness, if I could go straight into medicine I would, but money is going to be a big issue (since I will already have a degree, I will not get any help with tuition fees for a second degree).

I *could* take a year out after university and work to get the money. However, I have a few contacts so getting onto a PhD course should be easier for me than perhaps for other people, and I would prefer to earn money whilst still in education and get an extra qualification. Also I get to be Dr NikNak before I even get to med school! :cool: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I was like you (although you have no choice as you need it for your career path) but when I first started I was like I want to do a masters, I was evening considering a degree. Now there is no way I could cope with either. I am stressed out, tired and I have just had enough. I have loads fo work to do for tomorrow but my concentrations gone.
    Yeah I guess everyone is different. I took three years out of education and to be honest didn't like it lol. I get bored so quickly and seem to be addicted to learning! Although I do like to moan, I do love coursework, exams etc etc. Strange but true. And I am so in love with my subject that I could never get bored of it!

What are your plans then AT?

ReputationRep:
    Me thinks NikNak secretly wants to be a scientist and doesn't want to help poor Mrs. Tompkins with her piles :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I am not bored of mine I love it, but its just the stress, the sleepless nights, and the preasure the last few months have got too much and I have very good time management.

After my last exam at the end of May I itend to have a big night out with my uni mates, get properly smacked, spend a week recovering, then deliver leaflets, sell PCs for a couple of weeks while applying for jobs.

Who knows after a couple of years 9-5 I might jump at the chance to do a masters but I have reached that point where experience will mean more than qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Me thinks NikNak secretly wants to be a scientist and doesn't want to help poor Mrs. Tompkins with her piles :eek:
    Well may be could cure cancer in his PhD. My boss as a PhD, it is truly impressive and scary stuff and his wasn't really on the hardest subject under the plannet.

ReputationRep:
    hehe...nah my ultimate ambition is to (when i've been qualified as a doctor here for a number of years) volunteer to work abroad for a charity as a doctor and help those that need it the most.

I am not in any rush however, and so am going to fulfil all my ambitions and also make a fantastic discovery whilst studying for my phd :p: I thought the other day that if I intercalculate as well, I will have two BSc degrees, a medical degree and a phd! :eek: I will be your boss in no time! :p:

(Original post by AT82)
    I am not bored of mine I love it, but its just the stress, the sleepless nights, and the preasure the last few months have got too much and I have very good time management.

After my last exam at the end of May I itend to have a big night out with my uni mates, get properly smacked, spend a week recovering, then deliver leaflets, sell PCs for a couple of weeks while applying for jobs.

Who knows after a couple of years 9-5 I might jump at the chance to do a masters but I have reached that point where experience will mean more than qualifications
    Yeah work experience is key in the IT industry...especially if you want to end up being a consultant or whatever. Microsoft's MCSEs are looked upon very well in the industry as well. I have MCPs in Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, 2000 Pro, XP, and another MCP that I forget the name of lol. I guess I should get another 3 so I get my Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer certificate.

What kind of jobs are you going to be applying for? Tip: never ever ever get a support job....remote support is an absolute nightmare! *scared about doing that again this summer to earn some money*

ReputationRep:
    My ideal job would be a Web Acessability Content Management Developer if the job existed, i.e making fully accessible content driven sites, properly for local government, however I cannot be this fussy, I will apply for a wide variaty of jobs, but some kind of web development job would be ideal. I have thought about doing technical support but its not what I have studied at university, web development, programming, networking protocols etc is what I have learnt.

I do want to be a consultant though, and for this I will need experience and a masters, but I am only 22 so there is no major rush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    My ideal job would be a Web Acessability Content Management Developer if the job existed, i.e making fully accessible content driven sites, properly for local government, however I cannot be this fussy, I will apply for a wide variaty of jobs, but some kind of web development job would be ideal. I have thought about doing technical support but its not what I have studied at university, web development, programming, networking protocols etc is what I have learnt.

I do want to be a consultant though, and for this I will need experience and a masters, but I am only 22 so there is no major rush.
    Technical support for a large company gets you down after a while... in the end I felt like a smaratan (sp?) trying to help all those completely computer illiterate users. It is amazing how some (incredibly stupid) people can completely destroy a pefectly good working computer! lol!

Systems administration is quite a cushy job though....messing about with accounts and permissions I can handle! hehe!

I wish more companies would employ 'Web Acessability Content Management Developer' people lol. My eye sight isn't 100% and so it is very annoying that the Vew > Text size > Large text option doesn't work on most websites as they have hard coded the font size.

Yup, from the consultants that Cornwall County Council used to bring in, it seemed as though experience is everything.

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.