anyone got interview at Oxford for Econ and Management?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
babylon
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
Hi,
I've been asked to go for an interview at Queen's college on 11th. just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience or advice? I'm quite worried about the whole thing, it seems quite daunting. Is anyone currently doing Econ+Management at Oxford? What is it like?
Thanx.
aliel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by wonkey)
Hi,
I've been asked to go for an interview at Queen's college on 11th. just wondering if anyone has had any personal experience or advice? I'm quite worried about the whole thing, it seems quite daunting. Is anyone currently doing Econ+Management at Oxford? What is it like?
Thanx.

speak to loftx---he applied to do it at oxford last yr, and was offered a place.
babylon
Rep:
?
(Original post by aliel)
speak to loftx---he applied to do it at oxford last yr, and was offered a place.
Thanx!
loftx
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
Cheers aliel.

Yeah I applied to Oxford last year to do E&M (Pembroke), and was given an offer but couldn't make the grades. Seeing as i'm not actually at Oxford I can't tell you much about the course or university life. But do have some information about the interview on my site and a copy of last years test here.

Any specific questions just ask them here.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by zero101)
thx m8 that specimen test was helpful.
BTW do u think that interview processes will be similar at diff colleges?
I think the interview process will be pretty simliar to mine (interviewed by two lecturers, taking a similar amount of time, etc) Though the questions you get asked will probably depend more on the interviewer rather than the colledge.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
What Qs did thay ask you about management?
I can't really remember i'm afraid - everything i remember about the questions I was asked is decribed on that page above.
emma_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I got an interview letter for Balliol for E+M

(2nd and 3rd colleges are Hertford and St Cath)

Kinda worried because I've done practically no preparation or reading...

Does anyone else think that the simple obvious questions are actually quite hard, such as why do you want to do economics/management? Sounds simple but trying to think of an original yet honest answer is more tricky than I had thought.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emma_)

Does anyone else think that the simple obvious questions are actually quite hard, such as why do you want to do economics/management? Sounds simple but trying to think of an original yet honest answer is more tricky than I had thought.

I hear where you are coming from..i think the best thing it to be honest. There is no point saying something like: Richard Branson's effective management styles of delegation have inspired to do Management ....if you have done Economics or Management (in any shape of form) say what u enjoyed about it...stressing that you enjoyed it. GoodLuck
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by emma_)

I didn't actually get asked about why I wanted to do economics and management, why I wanted to go to Oxford, or why I chose my college. I don't know if it was just me this happened to, but they really didn't seem interested about why I wanted to study it.
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
thats cause you had a subject-specific int only. they ask those Qs in the general int'
What is a general interview? I've never heard of anyone having one.
aliel
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by loftx)
What is a general interview? I've never heard of anyone having one.

yep you know Loftx ....one interview is subject-related the other a more general interview...
loftx
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by aliel)
yep you know Loftx ....one interview is subject-related the other a more general interview...
Nope - never happened to me I only had one interview. Maybe I just missed some huge part of this.
babylon
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma_)

hey, I've got interview for E+M....and i'm totally stuck too.....i can't seem to think of reasons about y i wanna do it either, lol.......will make up something, but it is hard. i'm also worried about the comprehension on the test paper......it seems horrible!
babylon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Markus Bihler)
Hi. I got an E&M interview-offer form Balliol. My question: how much subject and theory based knowledge do you prepare? Where do you set your focus?
Would be happy to hear form you.
Markus
well......i'm not really preparing by revising everything I've learnt from Economics...I'm just gonna keep up 2 date with current affairs. what about u?
babylon
Rep:
?
(Original post by Markus Bihler)
well, i did never have an economics course at school. so I bought an preparation book for A-Levels and I am reading this at the moment.
Would you mind sharing ideas about "current affaires"?
just give me a mail: [email protected]
There's nothing specific, just stuff in newspapers and news.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (535)
51.15%
No (511)
48.85%

Watched Threads