This discussion is closed.
Checking for Spies
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by skevvybritt)
Of course!

I find it completely irrational that some denominations of the major orld religions preach love and tolerance... and yet cannot accept certain equal loving relationships (note 'equal'... this does not extend to paedophiles).

Love is love surely - how can it possibly be a bad thing?
Ditto here...it makes absolutely no sense to me! it seems to me that the church has come to realise this now; hence the fact that they accept celibate homosexuals....the whole affair is highly distateful imho though x
*starbuck*
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Aren't there are certain sections of the church that believe homosexuality is something you can be cured of?

I was reading something along the lines of this topic the other day and can't for the life of me remember where it was! :rolleyes:
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by *starbuck*)
Aren't there are certain sections of the church that believe homosexuality is something you can be cured of?

I was reading something along the lines of this topic the other day and can't for the life of me remember where it was! :rolleyes:
I think the Mormons.
yawn
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Brooksey)
I agree
How can you say that you whole heartedly accept gays into your church when you do not even allow them to continue with they belief/sexual tendencies.
You either do accept them or you dont there is not half way, you should show courage in your convictions instead of hiding behind some politically correct blanket!
As someone has said before on this thread - membership of a church demands that the member refrains from that which is wrong - regardless of sexual identity, gender or age. And the practice of same gender sex is considered a sin in the same way as telling lies, murdering your granny or getting drunk and beating your wife.
ChemistBoy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
And the practice of same gender sex is considered a sin in the same way as telling lies, murdering your granny or getting drunk and beating your wife.
But not in the same way as the fact that all those other things are crimes in the UK but same gender relations are not. You could have picked better examples really, such as refraining from eating certain foodstuffs at certain times, not working on a sunday, etc.
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ChemistBoy)
But not in the same way as the fact that all those other things are crimes in the UK but same gender relations are not. You could have picked better examples really, such as refraining from eating certain foodstuffs at certain times, not working on a sunday, etc.
But those things are not considered sins in Christian faith.
Beekeeper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Oh, religion can fluxy off as far as i'm concerned. It has never done anything for me, apart from breed discrimination. People can have their little churches, but they can keep it to themselves.
I have nothing to do with it AT ALL, and i certainly don't want people discriminating me because of the bible.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
As someone has said before on this thread - membership of a church demands that the member refrains from that which is wrong - regardless of sexual identity, gender or age. And the practice of same gender sex is considered a sin in the same way as telling lies, murdering your granny or getting drunk and beating your wife.
I disagree with that. Membership of the church demands that the member tries to refrain from that which is wrong but acknowledges that the member will probably fail since we are all sinners anyway.

Repentence of the sin is just as important than refraining from the sin.
Sorani
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Now, I'm not anti-homosexual in any way, shape, or form but this sort of attitude to the word of God; "ignore/bend/modify/change to meet the fickle demands of man" is not a good one.
The problem is if you stick completely true to the word of God you get alot of confusion and discrimination. Isn't it cruel to just go up to say someone and say what you do is just wrong? The problem is times are changing and religion generally does need to change with it. It's the way that society has for example now you can't physically abuse your wife, bear bait, cockfight, keep slaves, discriminate against someone of a different race. At one point or another all those things were a solid part of society, they weren't wrong, society accepted and so did most of the people in them. Would you keep these around because they were socially-solid at one point? Isn't the Bible basically the same thing?
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by yawn)
But those things are not considered sins in Christian faith.
Depends which denomination you are talking about. I pretty sure that keeping Sunday as a holy day is quite important to most denominations.

The real point I was trying to make is that you have deliberately or unintentionally equated same-gender relationships to crimes in our legal code - it would have been a better arguement if you had stuck to religious observations that were legal to not practice in this country.
yawn
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
I disagree with that. Membership of the church demands that the member tries to refrain from that which is wrong but acknowledges that the member will probably fail since we are all sinners anyway.

Agreed - there need to be remorse plus a firm purpose of amendment, i.e. to resist the temptation not to repeat the sin.

True repentance also demands that reparation or atonement is made for the sin. If a person keeps repeating the same sin over and over how can one believe they are truly repentant? It would seem they seek absolution on a fraudulent basis. But ultimately, only God knows what is in our hearts.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Surely that is one of the big bones of contention between christian denominations?
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sorani)
The problem is if you stick completely true to the word of God you get alot of confusion and discrimination. Isn't it cruel to just go up to say someone and say what you do is just wrong? The problem is times are changing and religion generally does need to change with it. It's the way that society has for example now you can't physically abuse your wife, bear bait, cockfight, keep slaves, discriminate against someone of a different race. At one point or another all those things were a solid part of society, they weren't wrong, society accepted and so did most of the people in them. Would you keep these around because they were socially-solid at one point? Isn't the Bible basically the same thing?
Well actually I bet the people that did all this now unacceptable things went to church and were not ask to repent for doing them.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Sorani)
Personally, I'd never approach a gay person and say "what you are doing is wrong" since it is none of my business and I am so busy doing wrong myself in one way or another that I'm not going to start preaching to others.

But do I think it's cruel? Well, maybe it is. But that's not really the point. It is the word of God, not my word.

I note your various examples of how the law has evolved over the centuries and of course that's a good thing. It is a good thing that we no longer burn homosexuals at the stake as witches but that really doesn't alter the word of God. Man-made laws are malleable. God's word really isn't.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Well actually I bet the people that did all this now unacceptable things went to church and were not ask to repent for doing them.
"Asked" to repent?
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Surely that is one of the big bones of contention between christian denominations?
Of course it is. Some denominations (and I'm thinking particularly of the anabaptists here......Amish, Mennonites etc) view themselves as Christians through their likeness to Christ. Others, rely more on repentence.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
"Asked" to repent?
Pedantry is not becoming.
ChemistBoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Of course it is. Some denominations (and I'm thinking particularly of the anabaptists here......Amish, Mennonites etc) view themselves as Christians through their likeness to Christ. Others, rely more on repentence.
So, the relationship between repentance and refrainment isn't as equal as you stated in christianity?
Sam2k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by awesome)
Should religion allow the gay society into their world or not. Im a scientist so i dont believe in religion not enought facts for me but should gays be allowed in the religious world.

Big up the batty boy.
No. Every religion I can of teaches against homosexuality. It would be very hypocritical to suddenly decide to accept it.
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So, the relationship between repentance and refrainment isn't as equal as you stated in christianity?
Not sure I follow?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (102)
19.73%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (211)
40.81%
Nope, not that interesting (204)
39.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed