The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mark_KK
End of year ball on Saturday. I am wearing a tuxedo with a white shirt.

Is it worth risking a white bow tie just to be different or will it look stupid?

Go with the black. Defo. :sheep: Its always the safer option.
Reply 2
Some people will wear white, some black so you wont look out of place with either. Personally though, I prefer black bow tie with a white shirt.
It's called Black Tie for a reason. Unless you intend to do a song-and-dance number, avoid the white ones. :wink:
Reply 4
Mark_KK
End of year ball on Saturday. I am wearing a tuxedo with a white shirt.

Is it worth risking a white bow tie just to be different or will it look stupid?

White/Cream DJ with black shirt and cream bow tie is the only combo 4 a cream/white bow tie, go for classy black and white with a touch like a flower in the buttonhole or summat :biggrin:
black bow-tie with white shirt
Reply 6
Ironically I have just been watching a period film. When people wear white bow ties you can only tell when they are up close, from a distance it just looks like they are only wearing a shirt.
Reply 7
Wing collars are out too (unless it's a "white tie")
Reply 8
Mark_KK
Wing collars are out too (unless it's a "white tie")

Why's that?

I have both colour bow ties but I'd only wear black with a dj (white is for ceremonies/exams at uni). "white tie" is completely different from "black tie" as it's a different kind of jacket and everything.
Reply 9
Bezza
Why's that?

I have both colour bow ties but I'd only wear black with a dj (white is for ceremonies/exams at uni). "white tie" is completely different from "black tie" as it's a different kind of jacket and everything.

Are you at one of those uni's that makes you wear formal attire for exams?

Wing collars look crap when worn with a black bow tie. I was reading some etiquette book and (whilst it may only be an opinion) it said that wing collars should be reserved for "white tie" occasions.

Google "James Bond", look at the photos. He never wears a wing collar with a DJ :biggrin:
If you wear Highland dress wing collars are the norm, but I've never seen them with a DJ.
wear a white dj with a black tie - like James Bond
You always want a contrast with these things. White tie with black shirt, black tie with white shirt (or just go for a red one with either, which is my personal fave!)
Reply 13
Inverurie Jones
If you wear Highland dress wing collars are the norm, but I've never seen them with a DJ.

Just look at any uni ball. Hundreds of people wearing wing collars with a DJ.
Mark_KK
Just look at any uni ball. Hundreds of people wearing wing collars with a DJ.

Not at my uni: no DJs. All Highland dress.
Reply 15
Unless you're going to go the whole hog with 'white tie', stick to black!
Reply 16
Fluffy
Unless you're going to go the whole hog with 'white tie', stick to black!

Yep - if you're wearing a white bow tie it has to be with a jacket with tails. So black.
Reply 17
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this, you have really helped me stick to black :biggrin:
Reply 18
poker dot lol
pink bow tie

Latest

Trending

Trending