Turn on thread page Beta

Bow Ties (black or white) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Are you at one of those uni's that makes you wear formal attire for exams?

Wing collars look crap when worn with a black bow tie. I was reading some etiquette book and (whilst it may only be an opinion) it said that wing collars should be reserved for "white tie" occasions.

Google "James Bond", look at the photos. He never wears a wing collar with a DJ
    yes

I don't think they're that bad, loads of people have them and loads of shops sell them so it can't be considered 'wrong' to wear them. If you google dinner jacket though you'll see loads of people with winged collars

and coloured bow ties or any colour cummerband just look stupid to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    and coloured bow ties or any colour cummerband just look stupid to me
    from that - how high is the stupidity rating of shocking red bow ties (embroidered lillies) with bright red jackets & optional matching cap? :eek:

good thing you escaped when you did..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    from that - how high is the stupidity rating of shocking red bow ties (embroidered lillies) with bright red jackets & optional matching cap? :eek:

good thing you escaped when you did..
    well yes, that's almost off the scale. still below white leggings with matching dressing gowns though

ReputationRep:
    White tie should only be worn at proper formal balls and formal occasions (such as the opera, a concert, graduation). Most (if not all) university balls are more like glorified cocktail parties and the girls usually wear cocktail dresses not ball gowns, so it's a black tie. Wing collar shirts can be worn at evening events such as university balls, it isn't a formal faux pas. But if you are going to a white tie event then they are a must.

ReputationRep:
    i like white tie, looks different and plus less waiter like! (had to wear a white shirt and black bow tie for one of my jobs!)

ReputationRep:
    why not be totally different and go for a bright colour!!! - or black if you want to stay normal!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    End of year ball on Saturday. I am wearing a tuxedo with a white shirt.

Is it worth risking a white bow tie just to be different or will it look stupid?
    Black tuxedo. White shirt. Black cummer band (if you absolutely must)

I once went to a masonic bash with a friend who decided to wear a white tuxedo. He looked like a Walls ice cream salesman. Not done. :rolleyes:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.