This discussion is closed.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Something my friends and I have been discussing for quite a while...

Is it really true that men cannot multi-task??

For a start...I know quite a few guys who can't...and someone on TSR who's hopeless at it. :rolleyes: :p:
Inverurie Jones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, it's one of those stupid gender generalisations perpetuated by trash-mags like Cosmo.
Cazzi
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by eurasianfeline)
Something my friends and I have been discussing for quite a while...

Is it really true that men cannot multi-task??

For a start...I know quite a few guys who can't...and someone on TSR who's hopeless at it. :rolleyes: :p:

well my man can talk to me on the phone, eat and do ict homework at once. hes a good multitasker in that way and in others...

so yeh they can (well some)
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I can very easily multi-task. It is somewhat true in some men i think, but the extent of it is a myth.
Alix
Badges: 0
?
Report 16 years ago
men can multi-task to an extent just not as much as you women. xXx
ALIX xXx
Raziel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think some can and some cant is just like a gift lol! i personally cant i dont understand how my girlfriend chats on msn, listens to music, does homework, eat and talk to me on the phone at the same time

but is a gift i think all women have lol
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alix)
men can multi-task to an extent just not as much as you women. xXx
ALIX xXx
Not nessisarily true.... i cant multitask at all!!
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
Not nessisarily true.... i cant multitask at all!!
Nor can my mother. I'm fairly sure that if I asked her a question while she was walking she'd fall over.
Alix
?
Report 16 years ago
do you think that you could listen to two people talk at tha same time and like still take it al in ? :P
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alix)
do you think that you could listen to two people talk at tha same time and like still take it al in ? :P
Ever been an infantry section commander?
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alix)
i definatly couldnt....thats cuz im deaf tho! lol :rolleyes:
Alix
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Inverurie Jones)
Ever been an infantry section commander?
actually now you mention it ...no hehe :P
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alix)
actually now you mention it ...no hehe :P
Try it sometime!
Alix
?
Report 16 years ago
Try it sometime!
ill think about it man :P xXx alix xXx
Alix
?
Report 16 years ago
random question, anyone seen that sinbad cartoon fim thang?
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Try it sometime!
i think its almost impossible for most people.....i cant get my blokes attention when hes talking to someone else!
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Alix)
random question, anyone seen that sinbad cartoon fim thang?
you what what what now? lol
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
actually i read somewhere that the male brain CANT multitask. This doesnt mean men can't "seemingly" do two or more things at once, it's just that the male brain can't focus on more than one of those tasks at a time - it can constantly switch between them, but it can't focus on them both at the same time. for example, talking on the phone and doing some work of some sort, the brain flips back and forth...so if they were in the middle of an intense piece of work and you start talking to them they honestly wont take it in. If they are taking in what you're saying, then they aren't actually focussing on the work

Women however (this is just what I read) have a brain that makes them persistent multitaskers - they are capable of focussing thought on at least 2 things at a time...and I think it said that they in fact CANT focus on just one thing, there are always multiple processes going on in the female brain.

Whatever this thing was that I was reading (i think it was in a science journal) went on to say that this could be a reason why men tend to excel the furtherest in most fields...because they are capable of focussing all their thought on one task, whereas women can not do that. This means that if a man and a woman are equally good at doing something, then the woman is "smarter" because she isn't putting her whole focus into the task. But as i said, this also means that an equally smart man and woman, the man will get the task done faster/better due to increased focus

make of that what you will.....but to an extent, from experience I have to agree with some of those points!
Cazzi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Willa)

But as i said, this also means that an equally smart man and woman, the man will get the task done faster/better due to increased focus
i agree with all but this part....even though a man 'can' focus on just one thing it dosent mean that women cannot do the same. Just because they have the ability to think about more than one thing. (Eg.all im doin now is writing this! nothing else)
i can do things much faster than men usally.

But either way it depends on the person
Raziel
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Willa)

This means that if a man and a woman are equally good at doing something, then the woman is "smarter" because she isn't putting her whole focus into the task. But as i said, this also means that an equally smart man and woman, the man will get the task done faster/better due to increased focus

make of that what you will.....but to an extent, from experience I have to agree with some of those points!
my psychology teacher believes men cant multi task but have much better organisational skills than women but women are just programmed to multitask :confused:
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (196)
55.37%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (49)
13.84%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (40)
11.3%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (33)
9.32%
I haven't started researching yet (21)
5.93%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
4.24%

Watched Threads