Report Thread starter 13 years ago
i've now put a poll up.
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Cazzi_Bear)
i agree with all but this part....even though a man 'can' focus on just one thing it dosent mean that women cannot do the same. Just because they have the ability to think about more than one thing. (Eg.all im doin now is writing this! nothing else)
i can do things much faster than men usally.

But either way it depends on the person
well when I said "an equally smart man and woman" I was referring to the undefined term "brain power". Basically you're saying that you DO think women can focus all their "brain power" on one task. The article actually suggests that they cant, no matter how much thtey try to focus, some brain power will be being used up on some form of other thought process. And this is the explanation why men lead their fields most often....the women in those fields have just as much capacity to think, they just can't focus on the task as efficiently as men can (they get close....but it's not the same!)

Edit: You arent just "writing this" you are doing something else as well, you might not necessarilly be totally aware of it, but you're thinking something else at the time....you're not merely writing the message, there's some sort of other process going on

Obviously it's incredibly hard to describe cos nobody has experienced both the male and the female brain, so it's a bit of a moo point trying to argue about "who focuses more". But I think it was a science journal and the evidence came from brain scans while doing tasks and showed male brains focus effort whereas female brains have to have some effort left to at least one other task!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Can I just point something out?

How are men fighter pilots if they can't multitask, given it is a part of the job

Course men can multitask, women just do it better sometimes.
Cazzi
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
well when I said "an equally smart man and woman" I was referring to the undefined term "brain power". Basically you're saying that you DO think women can focus all their "brain power" on one task. The article actually suggests that they cant, no matter how much thtey try to focus, some brain power will be being used up on some form of other thought process. And this is the explanation why men lead their fields most often....the women in those fields have just as much capacity to think, they just can't focus on the task as efficiently as men can (they get close....but it's not the same!)

Edit: You arent just "writing this" you are doing something else as well, you might not necessarilly be totally aware of it, but you're thinking something else at the time....you're not merely writing the message, there's some sort of other process going on

Obviously it's incredibly hard to describe cos nobody has experienced both the male and the female brain, so it's a bit of a moo point trying to argue about "who focuses more". But I think it was a science journal and the evidence came from brain scans while doing tasks and showed male brains focus effort whereas female brains have to have some effort left to at least one other task!

Meh.....! either way it dosent really matter as long as a task gets done!
Willa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
Can I just point something out?

How are men fighter pilots if they can't multitask, given it is a part of the job

Course men can multitask, women just do it better sometimes.
the idea is that they DONT multitask! It's like a computer - the computer looks like it's doing several things at once: playing your music, showing this webpage, ticking a clock away in the corner - it looks like it's doing it all at once. But what is REALLY happening is it's cycling between doing each thing REALLY QUICKLY.
The article I read suggested male brains do this as well...they focus on one task, flip to another, then flip to another - this can happen quite quickly so can give the APPEARENCE of multitasking, but in fact they arent!
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Willa)
the idea is that they DONT multitask! It's like a computer - the computer looks like it's doing several things at once: playing your music, showing this webpage, ticking a clock away in the corner - it looks like it's doing it all at once. But what is REALLY happening is it's cycling between doing each thing REALLY QUICKLY.
The article I read suggested male brains do this as well...they focus on one task, flip to another, then flip to another - this can happen quite quickly so can give the APPEARENCE of multitasking, but in fact they arent!
I'm sorry but being a fast jet pilot I would say you do multi task. You simply cannot go through everything all the time quickly. There is far too much to do. Even some of the aptitude tests are designed to tesk multi tasking abilities.
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Even some of the aptitude tests are designed to tesk multi tasking abilities.
and they are so much fun...
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
With any aircraft if you can't multitask you're in trouble. With fast jets you'd be as well eject before you even start the engine...
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by medic_bex)
and they are so much fun...
'Stay still, you little ******* dot...!' :cool:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hehehe its the matrix one. 'Look arrow...no wait star...no C1....ahhhh!'

God it will be fun retaking those!
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Inverurie Jones)
'Stay still, you little ******* dot...!' :cool:
no, red... no, green... whats 32x12?... AGSDV...
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
That's BS. I can take a piss (even a dump) while brushing my teeth.
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Howard)
That's BS. I can take a piss (even a dump) while brushing my teeth.
but why would you want to ???
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
no, red... no, green... whats 32x12?... AGSDV...
I am not looking forward to that one! Better relearn my times table!
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Time is money.
Inverurie Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It must result in either piss in the sink or strongly alkaline substances falling on erogenous tissue... :eek:
Howard
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Inverurie Jones)
It must result in either piss in the sink or strongly alkaline substances falling on erogenous tissue... :eek:
The important think to remember is not to put your toothbrush under the wrong source of water.
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I am not looking forward to that one! Better relearn my times table!
i actually quite enjoyed that... it felt like a video game. the straight maths ones got me... no matter how often i practised... :rolleyes:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i actually quite enjoyed that... it felt like a video game. the straight maths ones got me... no matter how often i practised... :rolleyes:
I think I'll have to practise. Instrumentation got me last time. Hopefully this time since I've worked in a Grob it might be easier
Debussy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think I'll have to practise. Instrumentation got me last time. Hopefully this time since I've worked in a Grob it might be easier
well... yes, truth be told, all the pilot ones got me... but i aced atc, so the multi tasking wasn't a problem... coordination on the other hand..
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1380)
79.49%
Leave (356)
20.51%

Watched Threads