The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, hopefully it'll be OKish (it's Unifying I'm worried about!).
How's revision for it going?
Reply 2
Yeh im worried about both, i wish our teacher let us chose a different topic, I hate genetics.
Reply 3
Zoombini
Yeh im worried about both, i wish our teacher let us chose a different topic, I hate genetics.

I do enjoy it, but it's quite difficult (more so than I expected!). Good luck for your exams :smile:
Reply 4
My teacher actually gave us the option to do what ever option we want...stupid me for choosing genetics!!!!! I'm the only one too, so no one to suffer with!
Reply 5
I haven't revised it period. But one day for revison and another day for past papers is good enough.

Reason for this is I have taken it for advantage since it's the easiest paper I've seen and my class also said so.
Since the time I didn't revise for a test (a past paper) and I got like 65%. Imagine when i'm ready. It's quite decent once you learn the stuff I've got alot of rereading to do. My problem in PYA5 for any psychology students.
Reply 6
OMG thank you very much!!!!

I seriously don't know why I do this to myself! I did it with the stupid AEA too!!!!

My biology teacher doesn't believe in notes! He just give us lectures, it does work though, for understanding, but not revising for exams!

Although I can scrape 70 (I'm a very generous marker) in past papers, so I guess his method does work!
(edited 3 years ago)
Attached some good notes. There're not mine, their from the Application june 08 thread.

Arghh gonna need like 90/95% in this paper to get a A overall after the disaster that was unified biology......
Inbreeding depression results in loss of vigour /yield/ fertility etc.

Its caused by deleterious recessive alleles (just think of these as "bad" alleles). Since its caused by deleterious recessive alleles, for it to have an effect, it must be expressed Homozygously, ie aa. If you continue to inbreed the animal, due to natural selection, the deletrious alleles will be selected against (they're bad for the organism so removed by nature) this means theres alot less deletrious alleles. Of the ones that are still present, they are expressed Hetrozygously, ie Aa, so they dont effect the organism. Thus fitness increases, meaning if you cross two inbreeding plants, the offspring will have greater fertility/yield etc, this is known as hybrid vigour.
(edited 3 years ago)
i_hate_examz
Attached some good notes. There're not mine, their from the Application june 08 thread.

Arghh gonna need like 90/95% in this paper to get a A overall after the disaster that was unified biology......

Don't worry mate. I'm in the same position.
They are on freeexampapers: http://www.freeexampapers.com/Dndex.php?d=QSBMZXZlbC9CaW9sb2d5L09DUg==&catagory=A

Its the paper with code 2805_02 :biggrin:

The Enchanted Milkman
Don't worry mate. I'm in the same position.

:smile: If they're similar to the 02/03 ones then we should be alright
(edited 3 years ago)
i_hate_examz
They are on freeexampapers: http://www.freeexampapers.com/Dndex.php?d=QSBMZXZlbC9CaW9sb2d5L09DUg==&catagory=A

Its the paper with code 2805_02 :biggrin:

:smile: If they're similar to the 02/03 ones then we should be alright

Yea...How bad do you think you did on UC?

I'm thinking D for me...
The Enchanted Milkman
Yea...How bad do you think you did on UC?

I'm thinking D for me...

Im seriously thinking in the region of U. Its the first time ive felt completely helpless in an exam, i didnt know what some of the questions were asking let alone know the answer lol. I would be delighted with a D :biggrin:
i_hate_examz
Im seriously thinking in the region of U. Its the first time ive felt completely helpless in an exam, i didnt know what some of the questions were asking let alone know the answer lol. I would be delighted with a D :biggrin:

omg, exactly like me...

I'm not the sort of person to do that bad but literally my mind just went blank.
Thanks I really need them!!!! I don't remember anything!!!!!
Does ANYBODY have the January 2009 Application of Genetics paper?

I cannot seem to find it anywhere!

If you can, could you please post it on here so we can all have a glance.

Thank you!
Reply 16
Ive lost the Jan 09 paper but ive got the mark scheme. I think the long questions were on the need for gene banks and the process of embryo transplantation .... dont know if thats any help to anyone.
Reply 17
im pooping myself but we did unifying concepts in january ha and i got a d in it oops.

i hope the genetics exam is easy tomorrow im reealllyy worried i need to do really well in it
Reply 18
I have the Jan 09 paper but im lacking the markscheme for it :/
One of the long questions was possibly the weirdest crazyest questions I have seen in my entire life and Id love to see what the mark scheme says!
The question is:
Asexual reproduction of Komodo dragons is an extreme form of inbreeding. Explain why it may be unwise for those zoos taking part in a captive breeding programme to isolate some female komodo dragons from males. :s Its 8 marks as well!
Im guessing you just go on about genetic diversity, inbreeding depression and gene pool decreasing?? But for 8 marks???
Took me like half an hour to work out something for it! Hope there isnt something as strange as that on the paper and its nice as simple :smile: Because it is ESSENTIAL that I do well.
Hellooooo all nighter :| I have chemistry on thursday to oooooh the joys!

Soooorry about the excessive moaning as you can tell im not paniking at all...
Reply 19
Im Going To Failllllllllllllllllllll !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending