Turn on thread page Beta

"Traditional" subjects for acceptance to uni??? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I am currently doing 4 A2s and 1 extra AS. It is not impossible and you'll find it's quite common It really depends if you think you are good enough to do it...your GCSE results will be a good judge of that.

As for doing psychology at uni, I was pretty sure you didn't need a science at A level to study it. But I guess that depends on teh university.

I think your subject choices are great!!! Psychology will make it a bit more relaxing for you, as I presume the other subjects will be more taxing. Good luck!
    I think with regard to the sciences for psychology, it probably does depend on the university. There's likely to be some universities that would accept me to read psych. with no science A levels (besides psychology itself), but my options would be more limited. It still does not close that door completely, however.

As for the additional AS level, when I apply to sixth forms (which I need to be doing soon) do I apply saying I want to do an additional AS, or do I apply for the four A2s and discuss the additional subject later? I'm hoping it's the latter because it'd be better to see at least how I do in my mock GCSEs before I judge whether I could cope with the extra subject. I get the impression, however, that it's more common than I first thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPlum)
    There's likely to be some universities that would accept me to read psych. with no science A levels (besides psychology itself)
    Indeed. More likely to be propping up the league tables than flying high though.

ReputationRep:
    Could I please ask what GCSE results those of you studing more than just 4 A2s acheived? (Mock results would be useful if you know them too please). It would be useful to judge whether or not I should consider taking an additional AS level. Thanks everyone for all your help.

ReputationRep:
    Could I please ask what GCSE results those of you studing more than just 4 A2s acheived? (Mock results would be useful if you know them too please). It would be useful to judge whether or not I should consider taking an additional AS level. Thanks everyone for all your help.
    GCSE Mocks 4*, 2A, 3B
    GCSEs 2003 8* 1A

A2 2004 - General Studies
    A/S 2004 - English Lit, History, French, Geography.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Indeed. More likely to be propping up the league tables than flying high though.
    Yes, I agree with that. I just mean that if I decided that I really wanted to study psychology, it wouldn't be totally impossible. If I thought that I really wanted to do it now, however, I'd prepare myself by studying sciences instead. Truth is, I don't think psychology would be the best thing for me to read at university. I'm just saying if I change my mind later on down the line, it's not absolutely impossible.

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 A*s, 4 As, 1 B and 3 Cs. Before you dismiss the results as average I would like to point out that until April this year (for AS) I never formally revised, and basically coasted through years 10 and 11. Could've got better if I tried, so I'm very pleased with my GCSEs. To be honest if you have time on your hands you can manage four, or 4.5 A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    I got 3 A*s, 4 As, 1 B and 3 Cs. Before you dismiss the results as average I would like to point out that until April this year (for AS) I never formally revised, and basically coasted through years 10 and 11. Could've got better if I tried, so I'm very pleased with my GCSEs. To be honest if you have time on your hands you can manage four, or 4.5 A-Levels.
    No, that's good to hear. I'm not revising very well for my mocks (they start on December 1st, and I only started revising on Thursday) and I don't expect I'll achieve anything near my predicted grades. However, my predicted grades aren't outstanding. I've been predicted 3 A*s, 8 As and 1 B. I'm doubting whether they'd be good enought to consider taking four A2s and 1 AS level.

Also, I mentioned before- do I apply to sixth forms for 4 A2s then discuss the possiblilty of an extra AS later? Or do I apply for the extra AS too?

ReputationRep:
    No, that's good to hear. I'm not revising very well for my mocks (they start on December 1st, and I only started revising on Thursday) and I don't expect I'll achieve anything near my predicted grades. However, my predicted grades aren't outstanding. I've been predicted 3 A*s, 8 As and 1 B. I'm doubting whether they'd be good enought to consider taking four A2s and 1 AS level.

Also, I mentioned before- do I apply to sixth forms for 4 A2s then discuss the possiblilty of an extra AS later? Or do I apply for the extra AS too?
    Sixth forms can be quite flexible with arrangements so you should probably discuss the AS after getting in. Best of luck with your GCSEs, and you should by now have figured out that your predicted grades are OK to study 4.5 A-Levels with, after my post...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZJuwelH)
    Sixth forms can be quite flexible with arrangements so you should probably discuss the AS after getting in. Best of luck with your GCSEs, and you should by now have figured out that your predicted grades are OK to study 4.5 A-Levels with, after my post...
    Thanks for the info. You said, however, that you could've done much better, whereas I doubt I'd do any better than my predicted grades. That's the reason I'm still pondering the extra AS issue. However, seeing as I'd only apply for the four A2s and then discuss the possibility of an extra AS, I at least have more time to consider the issue. Thanks again for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info. You said, however, that you could've done much better, whereas I doubt I'd do any better than my predicted grades. That's the reason I'm still pondering the extra AS issue. However, seeing as I'd only apply for the four A2s and then discuss the possibility of an extra AS, I at least have more time to consider the issue. Thanks again for your help.
    Glad to help and of course you can improve on your predicted. But is it worth the extra effort? I decided not, and the fallout of that decision was that I developed bad habits of laziness, procrastination and a short attention span. Not good for uni though I find a coffee combats it when I'm doing my A-Level work... moral being keep working at it, diligence is a very good habit to develop.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2003
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.