This discussion is closed.
xhellox
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Just wondering how everyone doing maths, further maths and psychology did in their january mods? Does anyone know how good you have to be to get into the likes of oxford? I got...

Maths 96
D1 Further 95
Psychology 96

Thanks in advance for any help!
bs.uk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
suppose it depends on your gcse's aswell for places such as oxford/cambridge though looking at the above grades im sure you did exceptional.
xhellox
Rep:
?
For gcses i got 11A*s but didnt think they really look at them?! Just hope i dont mess up my ASs...
Daisyfeng
Badges: 0
?
Report 16 years ago
3 A at least ....i am sure
Daisyfeng
?
Report 16 years ago
u should get more than 3 A in alevels ...not in GCSE...
dobie_gillon
?
Report 16 years ago
Well. I figured that as long as you get at least 2As your all right. I mean, I might not get to Oxford but Uni isnt just about academics. And anyway you have to have a reasonably good CV and if you simply focused on Academics and nothing extra curricular you wont have much to say. 5A*s 5As and a B I got at GCSE and I'm tres happy
Dstbgre
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by xXxKatiexXx)
For gcses i got 11A*s but didnt think they really look at them?! Just hope i dont mess up my ASs...
Soz but i have 2 disagree. The head of sixth form at my school told us that oxford/cambridge do look at GCSE results. According to him, if you get anything below an A at GCSE then they wont accept you!

Personally i think that this is very unfair but that is wot he said.

Hope ur AS's go well
xhellox
Rep:
?
sorry i dont want ppl to think im some kind of geek who works all hours of the day and night lol! i do have a life as well, play county tennis, am head girl, run a magazine, go out every wknd etc etc etc...

Its not that difficult to juggle cause come on ASs arent exactly taxing are they!? And i personally think uni should be for academia, it is further education after all! And why should clever people have to pay so much in order to send people to uni to do micky mouse subjects lol?! Any1 agree/disagree?

Plus, ye i'm aware its 3 A's for most unis, but im online 4 5 so thats ok, was just wondering about ums marks? Anyone know whats good enough for oxbridge? Cheers
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Dstbgre)
According to him, if you get anything below an A at GCSE then they wont accept you!
whoops, they must have made a mistake with me. :rolleyes:

slightly concerned about how misinformed your head of 6th is.. the attention paid to GCSEs will probably very with the subject you apply for & perhaps even the college (check prospectus infomation for this).

...but i've never heard of anywhere with a arbitrary 'one grade below an A & you're out' rule, which really wouldn't be fair & slightly pointless, given the breadth of subjects forced at GCSE...

xXxKatiexXx, those marks all sound good! to be honest, you should be on course for AAA to be realistic about Oxford, but other than that being a 590 v. 570 mark candidate at A2 may not really say much about your academic potential and aptitude for the subject at a higher level, so I wouldn't get too hung up on precise marks.. but perhaps start think about reading around your A levels?
xhellox
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice Elles, ye ive started reading round some maths and philosophy, i find them both so interesting. I wish i could scrap A levels and start uni right now! I guess you need a bit of luck with oxbridge too, im on course for 5 A's at A evel, so fingers crossed! What subject are you taking?
dobie_gillon
?
Report 16 years ago
Sure, your results are Hella important. But have you taken into account your life. I mean, Oxbridge is great. But there are plenty of other good unis. Like Nottingham or Birmingham where the social life is great and you dont need straight As. Culture up to your neck.

I want to do Business, Geography and the Environment. Nottingham is the only Uni that does it and there are only 25 places. I need 2 As and a B minimum. But I chose nottingham primarily for the Climbing and also the huge amount of Culture there
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
well, me & my 5As made it to Oxford for Medicine.. but A levels are just a stepping stone really, by all means work hard & get As etc. but don't stress about uni too much & you might as well make the most of your time at 6th form & the extra-curricular opportunities there as well..

I mean, Oxbridge is great. But there are plenty of other good unis. Like Nottingham or Birmingham where the social life is great and you dont need straight As. Culture up to your neck.
But I chose nottingham primarily for the Climbing and also the huge amount of Culture there.
err, right.. I always wonder about the implication that students with As (although out of interest most here seemed to fairly effortlessly achieve them rather than desperately "needing" them) & at more prestigous/traditional/academic/whatever universities must somehow be lacking either socially or in an extracurricular sense. we have a climbing club here & everything, you know.. not so sure about any culture though, damn misguided tourists.. :p:
dobie_gillon
?
Report 16 years ago
I heard that the Climbing club at Oxford isnt all cracked up to what it claims to be. But that doesnt matter cos Im not going there.

But I mean, I have a really bad work ethic. Do enough and see what happens. It worked for my GCSE's but im not sure about A levels

Also, I dont really want to go to a Prestigious Uni. I figured that the red bricks are more exciting. And Nittinghams near the peak district. Granite Climbing!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (45)
90%
No (5)
10%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise