2591 Russia 1855-1956 help

Watch this thread
stretchy91
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Ok this exam is in less than 24 hours how are others coping and finding the revision. AT present im liking a peasantry or an opposition question.:woo:
SimonMoore
Badges: 3
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 13 years ago
Would love a peasantry and an opposition question. What essay structures is everyone else using?

I've got:

Peasants:
- freedom of movement
- legal and political rights
- land ownership
- government interference
- living standards

Opposition:
- Tsarist era:
- populists/peasants/peoples will/SRs
- liberals
- marxists
- communist era:
- popular unrest
- factions
- imagined threats

The opposition structure is how my teacher told us to do it this morning, so hope that does come up.
stretchy91
Rep:
i go for a more chronological structure where i go through all the dictators and tsars
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
Yea I've been told off for doing that, because its harder to compare the various rulers against each other. Also if you run out of time you might miss out a large part of history.
stretchy91
Rep:
yeh i know what you mean but i feel it best suits my writing style, i guess its all down to how you write
Azori
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by SimonMoore)
Would love a peasantry and an opposition question. What essay structures is everyone else using?

I've got:

Peasants:
- freedom of movement
- legal and political rights
- land ownership
- government interference
- living standards

Opposition:
- Tsarist era:
- populists/peasants/peoples will/SRs
- liberals
- marxists
- communist era:
- popular unrest
- factions
- imagined threats

The opposition structure is how my teacher told us to do it this morning, so hope that does come up.
what kind of things would you talk about for freedom of movement and legal and political rights? Mir/collectivisation etc?
stretchy91
Rep:
censorship under alex 2nd then repression under alex 3rd?
jstar357
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by stretchy91)
censorship under alex 2nd then repression under alex 3rd?
what question is this for?
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
I'll get my notes.

Freedom of movement:
-tied to nobles land until emancipation in 1861
-movement restricted by Mir
-1918 Lenin sets up Gulags
-forced collevtivisation of peasants in 1928
-1932-34 famine resulted in starving peasants being denied train tickets (so people wouldnt know that the peasants were starving)
-Khrushchev allowed some foriegn travel and released some from labour camps

Legal/Political rights:
-emancipation gave peasants right to marry and own property ect.
-peasants allowed representation in zemstvos set up in 1864
-participation in zemstvos restricted by Alexander the third
-land captains brought in and given absolute authority
-peasants allowed to vote in Dumas but not as equal as nobles ect.
-Stolypins reforms broke mir restrictions
-no legal protection from cheka
-few rights in collective farms

I'm sure theres loads more you can put in but you only have 45 minutes.
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
We're talking about a peasant essay. I wouldn't worry too much about censorship in relation to peasants seeing as most of them are illiterate and quite conservative.
jstar357
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
This is for the peasants question?
Azori
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
I'll get my notes.

Freedom of movement:
-tied to nobles land until emancipation in 1861
-movement restricted by Mir
-1918 Lenin sets up Gulags
-forced collevtivisation of peasants in 1928
-1932-34 famine resulted in starving peasants being denied train tickets (so people wouldnt know that the peasants were starving)
-Khrushchev allowed some foriegn travel and released some from labour camps

Legal/Political rights:
-emancipation gave peasants right to marry and own property ect.
-peasants allowed representation in zemstvos set up in 1864
-participation in zemstvos restricted by Alexander the third
-land captains brought in and given absolute authority
-peasants allowed to vote in Dumas but not as equal as nobles ect.
-Stolypins reforms broke mir restrictions
-no legal protection from cheka
-few rights in collective farms

I'm sure theres loads more you can put in but you only have 45 minutes.
that's great cheers
I'd still prefer an autocracy or war question though.

Also be careful with opposition questions, just check if it's success of opposition or success of x leader dealing with opposition; a very different question!
jstar357
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
Autocracy what would you cover on that :|
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
No worries. How would you set out an autocracy or war question though?
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
not so sure that success of opposition question would be any different to success of leader, both would cover the same stuff
Azori
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
No worries. How would you set out an autocracy or war question though?
For war I would do:

Examples of wars that triggered change/reforms e.g. WW1
If it's about change not reform, examples of wars that caused reforms but arguably no change, Crimean war/Russo Japanese war.
Wars not the reason for reform: Collectivisation/industrialisation (note argument that industrialisation was due to military needs though), destalinisation under Kruschev
-WW2 resulting in no change/reform, just Stalin maintaining his control

Autocracy, I'm just gonna cover the definition, compare 'Autocracy, Orthodoxy, Nationalism' to how the Communists ruled, look at methods of control, ideology, and then approaches to reform etc to compare individuals a bit more.
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
So something like this for the war essay:
- crimean war - emancipation
- Russo-Japanese war - 1905 revolution
- WW1 - 1917 revolitions
- Civil war - war communism and NEP and red terror
- collectivisation and 5 year plans in response to percieved external threats
- WW2 - increased control exercised by Stalin

and within each one assess whether other reasons resulted in the changes rather than war
stretchy91
Rep:
So something like this for the war essay:
- crimean war - emancipation
- Russo-Japanese war - 1905 revolution
- WW1 - 1917 revolitions
- Civil war - war communism and NEP and red terror
- collectivisation and 5 year plans in response to percieved external threats
- WW2 - increased control exercised by Stalin

and within each one assess whether other reasons resulted in the changes rather than war
would be a great essay. thats exactly how i would do a war question
jstar357
Rep:
Report 13 years ago
does anyone know what came up in Jan 09?
SimonMoore
Report 13 years ago
The only thing I'd be worried about with that is the fact that your missing out Khrushchev. Although I might just stick it on to the end of the WW2 paragraph and just say that the Russian people had suffered massively during WW2 and hadn't been able to reap the rewards of their work and thus Khrushchev lifted some restraints and focused on consumer industries, also the international power status achived by winning WW2 resulted in projects such as the virgin lands project

How would you do a turning-point question? Just choose 6 important turning-points and assess the importance of each one? Which turning points would you choose?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (25)
27.17%
As I expected (28)
30.43%
Harder (33)
35.87%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (6)
6.52%

Watched Threads