The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
SimonMoore

How would you do a turning-point question? Just choose 6 important turning-points and assess the importance of each one? Which turning points would you choose?

Pretty much yeah. Hard to plan though cos the importance of each turning point depends on the question.

Ones to consider though:

-1881Assassination of AII
-1905 Revolution
-February and October 1917
-1921 NEP
-1924 Death of Lenin
-1928-29 leadership struggle
Just looking at the 2009 report now. Seems like an industrial working class question came up, a "reluctant reformer" question and an opposition question.

My money is on a peasant question coming up definately then. Probably something on autocracy as well.

Hope this is helpful.
SimonMoore

How would you do a turning-point question? Just choose 6 important turning-points and assess the importance of each one? Which turning points would you choose?

I wouldn't :wink:
SimonMoore
Just looking at the 2009 report now. Seems like an industrial working class question came up, a "reluctant reformer" question and an opposition question.

My money is on a peasant question coming up definitely then. Probably something on autocracy as well.

Hope this is helpful.

ooh thanks! If its peasants and autocracy I WILL DIE HAPPY
Reply 24
My guess is peasants, autocracy and a war/reason for change/reform question. If so I will be very happy :smile:
No worries. Yea would be good. Although thinking about it there might be something on modernisation/reform. But I'm sure that theres going to be a peasant question seeing as theres been a peasant or worker quetion almost every year and january was worker and 2008 was general living and working conditions.
Yea thats my guess too Azori. You live in hampshire? Anywhere near Alton?
Reply 27
SimonMoore
Yea thats my guess too Azori. You live in hampshire? Anywhere near Alton?

Yeah I go to Alton College :smile:
Do you as well? I thought you might simply because your plan for the opposition essay seemed rather similar to the one on Julian's powerpoint :tongue:
Reply 28
Azori
My guess is peasants, autocracy and a war/reason for change/reform question. If so I will be very happy :smile:

If that came up i would be spoilt for choice.
jstar357
does anyone know what came up in Jan 09?

I cant remember the exact questions that came up but there was one on reforms, one on oppositiion and one on the working class, so its pretty unlikely that these topics will come up tomorrow. I done it in Jan and it was a pretty hard paper and so am resitting it tomorrow, however i do already have some UMS marks so cant fail totally!
I hoping for a turning points question :smile:
Lol yea I do. Ha so wierd. Yea I went to Julians revisions sesh this morning. I love how he leaves it to the day before the exam...
How did you find the Bolshevik essay?
Reply 31
same here just covering turning points now....how mnay turning points would be about enough for an answer
Reply 32
SimonMoore
Lol yea I do. Ha so wierd. Yea I went to Julians revisions sesh this morning. I love how he leaves it to the day before the exam...
How did you find the Bolshevik essay?

I wanted to go to one, but wasn't sure if he was actually doing it or not :frown:
Erm, alright, did the terror one but didn't really write about terror much cos I'd forgotten everything about it, so just claimed it was irrelevant. I think I made a pretty convincing argument for the way I ignored it, so hopefully I won't lose too many marks for that.
I think it will be a turning point, a peasantry, maybe an autocracy... although in my other history paper they have repeated some of the same questions for 3 years
Azori
I wanted to go to one, but wasn't sure if he was actually doing it or not :frown:
Erm, alright, did the terror one but didn't really write about terror much cos I'd forgotten everything about it, so just claimed it was irrelevant. I think I made a pretty convincing argument for the way I ignored it, so hopefully I won't lose too many marks for that.

Yea I only found out that he was doing a revision session yesterday when I asked him if he could help me structuring my essays.

I did the terror one too. Did one paragraph on the red terror and the rest of it on civil war. Made sense seeing as theres so much to say on it and the debate is easy. I didn't like the source question though. I just blabbered on about anything relevent that came into my head.

Wouldn't like a turning point essay. Would probably do it like this though.

- 1881 assination of Alexander 2nd
- 1905 revolution
- 1917 February
- 1917 October
- 1924 death of Lenin
- 1928-9 Stalin comes to power

Any thoughts?
Reply 35
isn't that chronological though?
Reply 36
SimonMoore
Yea I only found out that he was doing a revision session yesterday when I asked him if he could help me structuring my essays.

I did the terror one too. Did one paragraph on the red terror and the rest of it on civil war. Made sense seeing as theres so much to say on it and the debate is easy. I didn't like the source question though. I just blabbered on about anything relevent that came into my head.

Wouldn't like a turning point essay. Would probably do it like this though.

- 1881 assination of Alexander 2nd
- 1905 revolution
- 1917 February
- 1917 October
- 1924 death of Lenin
- 1928-9 Stalin comes to power

Any thoughts?

Yeah those are the main ones I'd talk about. I'd mix up the order depending on the essay title though just to ensure it isn't at all chronological. So I'd go for examining the importance of the one they give in the title, and then the turning point I think is most important, and then the others.

Off topic a bit, can you remember why AIII did so much work on the economy? Was it just general concern at the backwardness of Russia?
Reply 37
did he really do lots? my notes say he doesn't apart from the railway but that was down by AII it was just AII came to power by the time it finished.

out of curisoity do you find in your argument october rev 1917 will always be your main argument....and the less important turning points would you this is a turning point because however not as important...
Yea that probably make sense to do it like that. Trouble is I never know which one I think is most important until I've finished writing about all of them and I'm on my conclusion.

Alexander 3rd wanted to maintain Russia's name as a superpower and realised that economic improvement was the only way to improve the military and national prestige.
Reply 39
he didn't do anything to help with the famine however, peasants died, so less production but I see where your coming from as he stopped poll tax

Latest