The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Do you also have 3 hours of english on that day?
Reply 61
No I have two hours. Why do you have three hours?
Reply 62
Courtesy of a member on here I have just found this on youtube but I haven't used it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/englishteacherguy
Reply 63
sleekchic
No I have two hours. Why do you have three hours?

Poetry and Drama followed by Modern prose :eek3:
Reply 64
I have already typed up some past papers for Merchant's Tale and Othello and they should be on pages 2 - 3.

I am now posting past questions which include some previous unseen poems, Philip Larkin: The Whitsun Weddings (Faber), The Heinemann Book of Caribbean Poetry Selected by McDonald and Brown (Heinemann), HEANEY: New Selected Poems (Faber), WEBSTER: The Duchess of Malfi (New Mermaids), MARLOWE: Dr Faustus (New Mermaids)

I will post a list of questions and revision notes for Wuthering Heights/Return of the Native soon.

I am also posting a list of Faustus notes but I don't do this so please don't ask me any questions.
Reply 65
charlie-cakes
x

fallen angel9
x

e-m-i-l-y
x

seph99
x

hit_n_run_me
x

unsa48
x

fweefwee
x

icysquall
x

freija
x

Rubberband
x

Takeahnase
x

nirvathema
x

electricfeel--
x

I've posted a couple of past questions even the ones I'm not doing and they are in my above post. I'm just quoting to make sure you all see this. Check to see which one applies to you.
Reply 66
Reply 67
I'm doing Duffy/Othello for unit 5 and the comic perspective and unseen poetry for unit 6. I'm really struggling to revise for Duffy at the moment...how is everyone doing it?
Reply 68
I'm gonna start today to revise which is late but boy

look at the themes in duffy which are basically stuff like:
Childhood
Language (she loves playing with lang, poems like the one about newspaper headlines and weasel words show this)
Time/Memory (Nostalgia - she talks alot about growing up and never being able to go back like school days and relationships I cant remember the names of the poems at the mo)
Outsiders in social life and love etc - Valentines Day, Female Skull etc

After that just apply the themes and annotate the hell out of the poems also link the right poems to the right themes if you get wut I'm sayin!

Someone help me with Othello plz what do i do where do i start?
It's probably been found already, but I found this piece of information on sparknotes.com. Its a very useful site, especially if you're studying Othello and Things Fall Apart like I am.

The information below is about Othello in context:

Othello was first performed by the King’s Men at the court of King James I on November 1, 1604. Written during Shakespeare’s great tragic period, which also included the composition of Hamlet (1600), King Lear (1604–5), Macbeth (1606), and Antony and Cleopatra (1606–7), Othello is set against the backdrop of the wars between Venice and Turkey that raged in the latter part of the sixteenth century. Cyprus, which is the setting for most of the action, was a Venetian outpost attacked by the Turks in 1570 and conquered the following year. Shakespeare’s information on the Venetian-Turkish conflict probably derives from The History of the Turks by Richard Knolles, which was published in England in the autumn of 1603. The story of Othello is also derived from another source—an Italian prose tale written in 1565 by Giovanni Battista Giraldi Cinzio (usually referred to as Cinthio). The original story contains the bare bones of Shakespeare’s plot: a Moorish general is deceived by his ensign into believing his wife is unfaithful. To Cinthio’s story Shakespeare added supporting characters such as the rich young dupe Roderigo and the outraged and grief-stricken Brabanzio, Desdemona’s father. Shakespeare compressed the action into the space of a few days and set it against the backdrop of military conflict. And, most memorably, he turned the ensign, a minor villain, into the arch-villain Iago.

The question of Othello’s exact race is open to some debate. The word Moor now refers to the Islamic Arabic inhabitants of North Africa who conquered Spain in the eighth century, but the term was used rather broadly in the period and was sometimes applied to Africans from other regions. George Abbott, for example, in his A Brief Description of the Whole World of 1599, made distinctions between “blackish Moors” and “black Negroes”; a 1600 translation of John Leo’s The History and Description of Africa distinguishes “white or tawny Moors” of the Mediterranean coast of Africa from the “Negroes or black Moors” of the south. Othello’s darkness or blackness is alluded to many times in the play, but Shakespeare and other Elizabethans frequently described brunette or darker than average Europeans as black. The opposition of black and white imagery that runs throughout Othello is certainly a marker of difference between Othello and his European peers, but the difference is never quite so racially specific as a modern reader might imagine it to be.

While Moor characters abound on the Elizabethan and Jacobean stage, none are given so major or heroic a role as Othello. Perhaps the most vividly stereotypical black character of the period is Aaron, the villain of Shakespeare’s early play Titus Andronicus. The antithesis of Othello, Aaron is lecherous, cunning, and vicious; his final words are: “If one good deed in all my life I did / I do repent it to my very soul” (Titus Andronicus, V.iii.188–189). Othello, by contrast, is a noble figure of great authority, respected and admired by the duke and senate of Venice as well as by those who serve him, such as Cassio, Montano, and Lodovico. Only Iago voices an explicitly stereotypical view of Othello, depicting him from the beginning as an animalistic, barbarous, foolish outsider.
Reply 70
The title says the 9th june but i'm pretty sure the exam is the 10th? ^^
Reply 71
Bugzy
The title says the 9th june but i'm pretty sure the exam is the 10th? ^^

yes its the 10th sorry I have another exam on the 9th sorry.
Reply 72
sleekchic
yes its the 10th sorry I have another exam on the 9th sorry.

Whew. I scared for a moment then.
Reply 73
sleekchic
I've posted a couple of past questions even the ones I'm not doing and they are in my above post. I'm just quoting to make sure you all see this. Check to see which one applies to you.

Thank you very much; it is very nice of you to have compiled this! (and sorry the thanks is belated)
Reply 74
:woo: :woo:
Only 2 days! I have an exam tommorow aswell, so I wont have anytime to just recap or go over anything....
Reply 75
anyone have anything on the themes of othello e.g. gender and sex inequality and quotations. Also, anything that isnt generic that will get really good marks? thanks :smile:
Reply 76
Anyone have any Duchess of Malfi/ Merchant's Tale mark schemes besides the ones on the Edexcel website..?
Reply 77
Everyone confident for this tomorrow?

I'm just looking over the mark scheme and it seems to shout to me context, context, context!
i can't believe its tomorrow... im so nervous especially because ive got a Business Studies exam a few hours before so I don't really have time to prepare for Lit. :s-smilie:
Reply 79
sleekchic
I have already typed up some past papers for Merchant's Tale and Othello and they should be on pages 2 - 3.

I've got Othello and Merchant's Tale tomorrow but we were never taught that Merchant's tale was to be treated as poetry.

And for the comparison unit we're comparing poems of William Blake and John Betjeman which no-one else on here seems to be doing and is quite hard learning them off by heart. I'm not worried about tomorrows exam. Will just learn some critis and go over both texts- maybe plan some essays but I haven't actually been writing any essays other than in exams so my hands have been suffering.

Thanks to sleekchic for the past papers and good luck everyone for tomorrow.

Latest

Trending

Trending