Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to change from Electronic Engineering to Political Science related subjects.

What is their attitude to this usually

And if you have tried doing something like that before, can you tell me who you talked to ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etomac)
    I want to change from Electronic Engineering to Political Science related subjects.

What is their attitude to this usually

And if you have tried doing something like that before, can you tell me who you talked to ?
    Its quite possible but I would have thought the closer the subjects are together, the easier it is to change. In addition, it would be taking the piss if you could change to a course with higher entry requirements which you don't meet. I have heard of switching from French to Computer Science and weird things like that BUT it must be done as early as possible. Also, be careful if a course is full. Otherwise I have read in the Student Book 2005 (or something like that) specifically that Warwick are easier on changing courses than other top universities. But you'll have to ask them so don't tke everything i say as golden Good luck BMB

Speak to the head of admissions for your department and the head of admissions for the department you wish to transfer into! They should be able to tell you if a transfer would be possilbe. Also ensure that you meet (or some close to) the minimum requirements for the course that you want to get on to and come up with a pretty good reason why you want to change courses (especially if they are seemingly unconnected diciplines!

ReputationRep:
    its doable. Someone in my year changed from history (or something similar i think) to computer science.

ReputationRep:
    I changed from PPE to Philosophy prior to my arrival and then from Philosophy to Philosophy with Computer Science after my first year (well last week, still awaitig final confirmation from the comp sci dept).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    My only worry is that

1, I got a D for General Studies but I got average of U,B,B (Don't understand why i got 30/120 for one of the paper... it was about music and art)
    2, My personal statement is elementary. (I love Electrical Engineering since I was ...)those type of Year 7 writing style.
    3, I only take sciences
    4, Economics department is the best in Warwick ya? So I think it would be hard to get in.
    5, PPE course is competitive. I am thinking of PPE as well

I am worried.
    Politics and Philosophy Department haven't reply
    Economics Department's Mr Ben Knight said that he will be back by 16 May

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    My only worry is that

1, I got a D for General Studies but I got average of U,B,B (Don't understand why i got 30/120 for one of the paper... it was about music and art)
    2, My personal statement is elementary. (I love Electrical Engineering since I was ...)those type of Year 7 writing style.
    3, I only take sciences
    4, Economics department is the best in Warwick ya? So I think it would be hard to get in.
    5, PPE course is competitive. I am thinking of PPE as well

I am worried.
    Politics and Philosophy Department haven't reply
    Economics Department's Mr Ben Knight said that he will be back by 16 May
    OK mate - initially I thought you wanted to do political science subjects i.e politics, international studies etc but now I'm thinking you are also considering Economics or PPE - am I now right? OK you applied for Elec Eng so you must have Mathematics at A level so you satisfy the requirements for straight Economics. It should also help you for PPE Most schools, however, don't offer Politics or Philosophy at A level, i think (well mine doesn't ) so sciences shouldn't be a problem - having said that they are not an advantage either - but don't worry.

General studies counts for little normally - I doubt they would consider your grade in it, although it could have been a useful tool for negotiating with them had you got a higher grade. I think if you are serious about this then you need to consider rewriting your PS for whatever course you intend on switching to. If you do this well and come prepared, it will show them that you are dedicated to that subject (and not just wasting their time) and if it impresses them, it will be easier to switch courses.

Economics is excellent at Warwick and is very competitive. I don't personally think you should go for it because it will be difficult to show your interest/knowledge etc. I don't know how full the course will be but that's why I think its risky! I think a better alternative is PPE or Politics, Economics and International Studies, which are both AAB entry reqs btw. Straight Politics is ABB though, prob less competitive - something you might want to consider.

One last thing - its good you're thinking about switching now and not just suddenly turning up there with that intention - this is in you favour and it should be easier. BMB - my last piece of advice as a 'Warwicker' (Big Decisions Part II)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Blackmarket Boy]I think a better alternative is PPE or Politics, Economics and International Studies[QUOTE]

Yes I am asking for these 2 only
    Sure rewriting Personal Statements is fine but the problem is they are not replying.

This is what I wrote in emails.

Dear XXX,
    I got an offer XXXX for XXX course and I want to switch to XXX. Is there any vacancy for XXX. If there is do you think it is possible for me to change from XXX to XXX?
    Yours sincerely,
    XX

ReputationRep:
    When I asked to change to philosophy I wrote a second personal statement saying what had happened during the last 7 months that made me want to change what I wanted to study when I applied to unis. Later when I came here they said they had accepted more people to study philosophy than they should have on one of the first meetings... In some modules we didnt have enough seets for everyone...
    PPE is VERY oversubscribed, not that I understand why. I talked to a prof at Cambridge and he said he didnt like PPE as it only gives the students an introduction in all the subjects, and he said Cambridge doesnt let people into a masters degree in either philosophy or economics having studied PPE (which was one of the reasons I decided to switch, as I want a master degree).
    And from what PPEist say in our few shared philosophy moduels they dont really sound interested in philosophy anyways, so I hope they all switch to the pol/econ stream next year ("but why do we have to know what colour is, when the scientists knows it" -in a lecture on Locke).

k rant over

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking I might change to Law, from Law and Sociology when I come to Warwick. The thing is, I am not compltely sure I want the change and also if I ask for a tranfer now, it will mean higher grade requirements and higher risk of getting in!!! There is no way I want to risk my place in Warwick AT ALL... I simply have to go there. But will I have huge problems changing courses if I wait term actually starts? Some of my friends are saying wait until results day, and if I get three A's, then ask for a transfer right then and there. But do you think my chances are near to nothing if I dont change right now, or do you think I could do it?

(Original post by Blackmarket Boy)
    I don't personally think you should go for it because it will be difficult to show your interest/knowledge etc.
    On the other hand I think that if it's what you want then you should go for it. The worst that can happen is that they say no and you continue with the degree you applied for (they will not kick you out for enquiring about a degree change....hehe!!!). I don't really see why it would be difficult to show your interest / knowledge because you have the oppourtunity of being face to face (or at least voice to voice with them) which is substancially more than the normal paper applicant gets. If you do want to do it then go for it and don't listen to those who would see you miss out on something that YOU think you may enjoy doing.

ReputationRep:
    Alright! Jus thought that I'll add my experience about course changing! Well best to do it asap and it can all be a bit of a headache. I did CS this year and wanted to change to Management because just realised that Computing wasn't for me. Had to speak to both relevent departemnets and in the end, CS were cool with it, but the Business school didn't have enough spaces for 2004/2005. In sayoing that, it was like 10 weeks into the winter term so pretty late stage to change minds. Subsequetly I'm on temporary leave from the uni now, but have a place secured for this september.

All in all, if you have 2nd thoughts about a course you have chosen, definately try to get things resolved asap!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I manage to change my course !

ReputationRep:
    cool, so did I=) what are you studying then?

ReputationRep:
    econ + politics w international studies
    ppe rejected moi

ReputationRep:
    how long did it take to change the course?
    cuz i wanna change from sociology with social policy to sociology so i wrote them an e-mail yesterday
    if they ask higher requirements for the new one, then can i keep my previous one which is lowerer?
    just wondered-

ReputationRep:
    econ + politics w international studies
    ppe rejected moi
    even u dont take econ they still accept you?
    so did they change your current offer grades?

ReputationRep:
    1,Yes
    2,Not really. AABc to AABb

Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.