The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not necessarily. I'm not really sure what it might be a sign of though. You can get a free test done in some chemists though, I think - might be worth it to put your mind at rest.
need_money
Lately i've been drinking loads of water and sleeping during the day a lot. Does this mean that i could be diabetic or could this be a sign of something else?

In your case i would diagnose a hangover.
Reply 3
foolfarian
In your case i would diagnose a hangover.

Erm, bit hard seeing as i haven't been drinking...
Reply 4
well when you're drinking loads of water...are you also going to the toilet v often as well? I.e. do you feel thirsty all the time and yet need the toilet often?
Reply 5
Willa
well when you're drinking loads of water...are you also going to the toilet v often as well? I.e. do you feel thirsty all the time and yet need the toilet often?

Not really no.
need_money
Not really no.

then no, you don't.
Reply 7
need_money
Lately i've been drinking loads of water and sleeping during the day a lot. Does this mean that i could be diabetic or could this be a sign of something else?

anyone diabetic in the family? lost any weight? any problems with your vision? are you over-weight? hehe...best off going to to the surgery and getting your blood sugar tasted.
Reply 8
need_money
Not really no.

well then don't worry too much about it then! I think it's wrong of people on this forum to go scare-mongering when there are plenty of hypochondriacs around. I've gone through similar phases, where I've been really tired and wake up really thirsty, and yet they've gone away on their own without problems.
If this is only incredibly recent, I would try not to worry. If you're still having these problems after 3 weeks or so, then perhaps a quick trip to the doctors would be useful.

The whole being thirsty thing is usually accompanied with passing water often - i.e. the water you're taking in isnt actually being used! If you aren't passing water any more than you normally pass water then you're obviously USING that water somewhere, which isn't necessarily what the whole diabetes symptom is all about

at least that's what I've been told!

Ultimately if you're still worried, see a doctor...it may well be stress or something! I get v tired when under stress
timeofyourlife
anyone diabetic in the family? lost any weight? any problems with your vision? are you over-weight? hehe...best off going to to the surgery and getting your blood sugar tasted.

whoa mate, i would have serious words with your doctor. they arent supposed to taste ur blood.....
:p:
Willa
well then don't worry too much about it then! I think it's wrong of people on this forum to go scare-mongering when there are plenty of hypochondriacs around. I've gone through similar phases, where I've been really tired and wake up really thirsty, and yet they've gone away on their own without problems.
If this is only incredibly recent, I would try not to worry. If you're still having these problems after 3 weeks or so, then perhaps a quick trip to the doctors would be useful.

The whole being thirsty thing is usually accompanied with passing water often - i.e. the water you're taking in isnt actually being used! If you aren't passing water any more than you normally pass water then you're obviously USING that water somewhere, which isn't necessarily what the whole diabetes symptom is all about

at least that's what I've been told!

yeh, in as simple terms as i can muster, in diabetes your insulin is too low (or cells are resitent to it) so your blood glucose goes up. this then 'spills over' into the urine. It drags body water into the urine with it, making lots of dilute urine. so you have to wee often, and feel constantly thirsty (need to keep replacing the water u are weeing away).

Hows that for layman explanations..?
Reply 11
foolfarian

Hows that for layman explanations..?

how about: What goes in, must come out! :p:
Reply 12
timeofyourlife

It runs in my family but it is usually only in old age. Not sure about weight loss, definitely not over-weight and i have actually been having problems with my vision but that started a bit before all the sleeping and drinking water.
Reply 13
need_money
It runs in my family but it is usually only in old age. Not sure about weight loss, definitely not over-weight and i have actually been having problems with my vision but that started a bit before all the sleeping and drinking water.

hmm that's a bit worrying? how much before this whole sleeping and water thing? And what type of problems? Seeing spots in front of your eyes?
Willa
how about: What goes in, must come out! :p:

I could take u onto any ward u like an introduce you to half the patients who would show u otherwise.
never heard of oedema...?
Willa
hmm that's a bit worrying? how much before this whole sleeping and water thing? And what type of problems? Seeing spots in front of your eyes?

Fah, She is describing type 2 diabetes which is obesity related and so rarely affects youngsters its not worth mentioning. Plus retinopathy wouldnt be the first sign for her.

Im gonna go out on a limb and diagnose a case of the wishuweresick.
Reply 16
Willa

Hm...not sure maybe about 3 weeks? And yeah and sort of wavyness:confused: like as if i was looking through water. Kinda hard to describe.
Reply 17
yup i'm guessing it's nothing just being a hypochondriac. but you never know with these things for sure....urgh i'm off to bed!
Reply 18
foolfarian
whoa mate, i would have serious words with your doctor. they arent supposed to taste ur blood.....
:p:

hehe :redface:

Funnily enough, I went to the doctors last year because I was tired all the time and I thought I might be diabetic. Doc said "don't be daft" and sent me packing :biggrin:

Edit: he was right though so i can't really comment :rolleyes:
need_money, if you're worried about this enough to start up a thread on here, take 15 minutes or so and go to the doctor about it. And whilst you're at it, get your eyes examined - that problem might be as simple to fix as getting a pair of specs.

The doctor and/or optician are the only people who you can really rely on to give you a proper medical opinion.

(oh, and as a ps: having read a few other posts of yours, it might be an idea to get yourself screened for STIs too whilst you're at the docs....)

Latest

Trending

Trending