This discussion is closed.
Serj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 17 years ago
I have been given this complicating essay on the nervous system and endocrine system. We have to compare and contrast the roles between the two. What does this actually mean?

Also, does anyone know of examples of combinatorial control as well as nervous and endocrinal control individually.

Thankyou
Ben.S.
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Serj)
I have been given this complicating essay on the nervous system and endocrine system. We have to compare and contrast the roles between the two. What does this actually mean?

Also, does anyone know of examples of combinatorial control as well as nervous and endocrinal control individually.

Thankyou
Compare and contrast!
Nervous: Immediate effect, rapid, electrical, travels down neuronal axons, target determined by pathway, allows integration and inhibition.

Hormonal: Diffuse effect, secreted by ductless glands, chemical messengers, carried in the bloodstream, target organ depends on te presence of specific receptors...

Both can bring about physiological changes and both end up doing something to specific receptor molecules on target cells. Both may initiate the releae of secondary messanger molecules within the cell...

As for systems controlled by both - try heart rate, vasodilation and venoconstriction. There are more...

Ben
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (503)
51.17%
No (480)
48.83%

Watched Threads