Who's going to the Glasgow Open day tomorrow?

Watch
EmmaDilemma
Badges: 1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Wasn't sure if there was like a specific open day thread.. so I thought here would be suitable..

anywho, who's all going next thurs?

What do you actually do.. i mean do they last long? Or are you there for about an hour and then you can go..

:o:
0404343m
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Technically, there'll be things to do from 9.30 till around 3, but the Uni (when they asked me if I was available to help) only wanted people till 12.30, so I assume thats when they expect most people to be around. There'll be plenty of talks, you can choose to go to as much or as little as you like.
michael89mtb
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Have a read of this http://www.gla.ac.uk/media/media_118752_en.pdf. You can go to whatever you want throughout the day and you can come and go when you want.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by EmmaDilemma)
It's saying something on the website about having to register? Is it really necessary or can you just turn up? Cos some 6th years from last year were saying they just went and had no idea about the registering thing.
It's probably for the Uni's benefit rather than yours- I don't think (but don't quote me on this) that it'll stop you attending anywhere if you haven't registered, but if they're laying on any talks etc, they'll want to know how many people to expect, hence the need to register. It should just be a simple web form, gla.ac.uk/openday or something.
bex285
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going on Thursday :yep:
I booked on the website but it's not really necessary.
ArcadiaHouse
Report 11 years ago
I loved it.

For me, Glasgow > St. Andrews.
bex285
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've only been to one open day so far, but right now my heart's set on Glasgow.
Omg, the library! :drool:
I wonder if Edinburgh tomorrow will manage to change my mind.
ArcadiaHouse
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by bex285)
I've only been to one open day so far, but right now my heart's set on Glasgow.
Omg, the library! :drool:
I wonder if Edinburgh tomorrow will manage to change my mind.
There were only 10 places for the library tour lol :rolleyes:

You can pick up Classics from scratch! :eek: I've ALWAYS wanted to do that! That's swinging it for me atm ... I met up with my cousin, who's just graduated from Glasgow with a first class degree in Geography, and she said she turned down an offer from St Andrews to go to Glasgow, which was "the best decision she's ever made". I have my heart set on Glasgow too, and I need AAB to get an unconditional, apparently. *prays*
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Glad you all liked it. I wouldn't worry too much what people on TSR think, there's usually a good bit of banter about those 'ignorant English' who all still think the city of Glasgow is a hole, and see St Andrews and Edinburgh as the only acceptable places to go, but they don't know what they're talking about. Statistically, a higher percentage of Glasgow's Scottish applicants are in the top 10% of their high school class than at any other Scottish university, and it's got the best library and archive collections by miles. The arts faculty receives more money in research grants than any other UK university, and for the last assessment of their research, Glasgow was top in Scotland for more subjects than any other. Next time TSR's English upper class snobbery takes hold about how Glasgow is full of thugs and drunks, remember to take pity on them.

And I know a girl who turned down St Andrews and got a first in Geo this year... is she planning a PhD? There can't be too many of us in that boat...
bex285
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
There were only 10 places for the library tour lol :rolleyes:

You can pick up Classics from scratch! :eek: I've ALWAYS wanted to do that! That's swinging it for me atm ... I met up with my cousin, who's just graduated from Glasgow with a first class degree in Geography, and she said she turned down an offer from St Andrews to go to Glasgow, which was "the best decision she's ever made". I have my heart set on Glasgow too, and I need AAB to get an unconditional, apparently. *prays*
I never went on the tour :p: the guy at the door just let us in to have a look. I literally don't think I closed my mouth the whole time, I was just amazed :daydreaming:

Yeah I think it's really good how the degree structure works, mind you I've heard it so many times today it's unreal :p:
I was thinking about St. Andrews too, but I really don't think I'd be able to cope with how secluded it is I need my shops! :yep:
ArcadiaHouse
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by 0404343m)
Glad you all liked it. I wouldn't worry too much what people on TSR think, there's usually a good bit of banter about those 'ignorant English' who all still think the city of Glasgow is a hole, and see St Andrews and Edinburgh as the only acceptable places to go, but they don't know what they're talking about. Statistically, a higher percentage of Glasgow's Scottish applicants are in the top 10% of their high school class than at any other Scottish university, and it's got the best library and archive collections by miles. The arts faculty receives more money in research grants than any other UK university, and for the last assessment of their research, Glasgow was top in Scotland for more subjects than any other. Next time TSR's English upper class snobbery takes hold about how Glasgow is full of thugs and drunks, remember to take pity on them.

And I know a girl who turned down St Andrews and got a first in Geo this year... is she planning a PhD? There can't be too many of us in that boat...
Thanks, you've maybe just swung it for me. :woo: Surely any snide comments about Glasgow from middle-class English people is a reflection on their ignorance rather than our lack of sophistication, in their view?

And was her name Louise by any chance?!
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks, you've maybe just swung it for me. :woo: Surely any snide comments about Glasgow from middle-class English people is a reflection on their ignorance rather than our lack of sophistication, in their view?

Ironically, in the west, Glasgow (at least if you believe the Strathclyde students) is where all the posh folk go. TSR is not an accurate cross section of society- the amount of times (half my family is English) I've heard Glasgow's image being derided by folk who've never been there, is quite frightening. You'd think they'd just fashioned the university out of old council flats or something... I put it down to the fact that Glasgow was a bit of a hole in the 60s/70s, which coincidentally happens to be the same time that lots of teachers and parents in the south were thinking about university, so inevitably some of it has stuck. Thats probably why just 10% of Glasgow Uni is from England, as opposed to 1/3 of Edinburgh and St Andrews.

I never saw the appeal of St Andrews myself- I lived around 20 miles outside of Glasgow, and my cousin lived in the city itself, so when it came to uni she wanted out and I wanted in- but she seemed to enjoy her time there. I picked Glasgow over Edinburgh though, mainly because it felt more like a university, as opposed to a collection of buildings dotted around a city, and there happens to be much more in the way of pubs, clubs, music and shops here, which is what students are after, and I can't say I've ever regretted it. Edinburgh is certainly strong academically though, although with a more privately educated student body (40% vs 20%), who typically drop out less and get better grades both before and during university, which, since these are things newspapers are fascinated with, means its been a little higher than Glasgow in the league tables- but both have been on average top 20s since rankings began- no mean feat when you consider Scots tend to have lower UCAS tariffs than their English counterparts.

Anyway, looks like I've went off on one- TSR does this to me, you don't have to look far to see the name getting dragged through the mud on here, so I do like to set the record straight. Aberdeen gets it aswell, but in reality, at least in Scotland, all four Scottish ancients are held in equally high regard- I'd go where you prefer, and preferably not read what the A-Level students who have never set foot north of the border and takes their teachers word as gospel, think. As for your cousin, I'm thinking of another girl. There can really only be maybe a dozen or so firsts in Geog, so maybe only 6 or 7 girls, and there can't have been too many who also applied to St Andrews (usually you either love or hate the big city, so few people apply to both), so it must just be a strange coincidence!
ArcadiaHouse
Report 11 years ago
8 people got a first, and my cousin was one of them and is doing a PhD now lol, so I thought it might be her!! She only applied to two unis, Glasgow and St Andrews, and got offers from both of them. O_o She said she applied to St Andrews because she thought she might as well apply somewhere else as well(!) but had her heart set on Glasgow. She said the people in Edinburgh were "cold" ...
ArcadiaHouse
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by EmmaDilemma)
Ahh i know!
Ohmygod I was speaking to the head of arts and she told me they do not accept Cs. Cos I asked.."Oh well say I got 2 As and 2 Cs rather than an A and 3 Bs'' and she basically just stopped me in my tracks and was like 'OH No! We do not accept C's''

Did you go to any of the lectures?
The modern languages department looked quite dingy!

I went on that bus tour to the accomodation ahah it was quite funny... there was this english middle aged woman there that would not stop questioning the poor guide and like it looked like she was turning her nose up at a lot of stuff! And it was QM halls... what would it have been like if she had seen murano ahahha :p:
St Andrews accept Cs :eek: I spoke to her too, came across as suitably gormless I think

You have just chilled my blood. I was shooting for an A in Higher Human Bio but it was hard and now I'm praying for a B, which was my target grade anyway :o:

I went to the English Language lecture, it was hilarious and now I'm not so apprehensive about choosing it, I would/will definitely do it now!!
negomi
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago

lol hey! - this is what im worried about. I'm planning on going to glasgow next year, but am I just going to be cast off as a 'middle class english person?'
The Hatman
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
oops I forgot about this
Not that it matters but it would have been fun to have another look around the place

lol hey! - this is what im worried about. I'm planning on going to glasgow next year, but am I just going to be cast off as a 'middle class english person?'
Certainly seems very unlikely. People come to Glasgow from all over the world, I doubt there'll be any more than light banter.
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by negomi)
Not at all. As I said- in the West of Scotland, we get tarred with the that brush by the rest of the unis. Its unfair, it's actually a pretty laid back place. Glasgow still has a relatively high private school and middle class intake, 1/5th are privately educated, and only 1/4 come from the 'working class' backgrounds. It's just, compared to Edinburgh/St Andrews, Glasgow went down a route of making offers to those who didn't normally think of university- so the makeup there is more of a diverse mix. However, A-Level students tend to get hung up on outdated perceptions of the city (most likely formulated by their parents/teachers in the 70s).
negomi
Badges: 2
Report 11 years ago
Not at all. As I said- in the West of Scotland, we get tarred with the that brush by the rest of the unis. Its unfair, it's actually a pretty laid back place. Glasgow still has a relatively high private school and middle class intake, 1/5th are privately educated, and only 1/4 come from the 'working class' backgrounds. It's just, compared to Edinburgh/St Andrews, Glasgow went down a route of making offers to those who didn't normally think of university- so the makeup there is more of a diverse mix. However, A-Level students tend to get hung up on outdated perceptions of the city (most likely formulated by their parents/teachers in the 70s).
exactly, this is why i changed my mind and switched my choice from edinburgh to glasgow - because it just seemed a bit less elitist and I heard it was more flexible with subjects...

Just another question - I've completely changed my mind about the degree that I applied for. Can I really change it once I'm there? (It's in the same faculty and it's not psychology). Also with your three subjects you take in the first year, can you continue any of them on to honours? ie can you make up your mind in the first year what you really want to do? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just having trouble understanding!
0404343m
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by negomi)
exactly, this is why i changed my mind and switched my choice from edinburgh to glasgow - because it just seemed a bit less elitist and I heard it was more flexible with subjects...

Just another question - I've completely changed my mind about the degree that I applied for. Can I really change it once I'm there? (It's in the same faculty and it's not psychology). Also with your three subjects you take in the first year, can you continue any of them on to honours? ie can you make up your mind in the first year what you really want to do? Sorry about all the questions, I'm just having trouble understanding!
Providing you don't have to take other subjects along with your own in order to qualify, you can in theory take any of the three onto honours. However, if you were to do English Lit, Politics and History in first year, you couldn't take English onto honours unless you took English Language aswell- so you'd in effect have to make your mind up by the start of second year, as you'd need to pick English Language along with your regular second year subjects (which is fine, since only 80/120 credits in second year need to be at level two, so you can pick another first year subject). Another example of this is Psychology, since you need to do Stats, and Computer Science, where you must also do maths. For most subjects though, you can pick three in first year and two in second, and still be open to take one or both onto honours.
Michael91
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
However, if you were to do English Lit, Politics and History in first year, you couldn't take English onto honours unless you took English Language aswell- so you'd in effect have to make your mind up by the start of second year, as you'd need to pick English Language along with your regular second year subjects (which is fine, since only 80/120 credits in second year need to be at level two, so you can pick another first year subject).
It says in the undergraduate handbook for English Lit that you have to do English Language if you're doing English Lit as a single honours, but if you're doing English Lit as a joint honours with another subject then you don't have to do English Language. Is that information still correct, or has it changed since then?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (632)
41.39%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.43%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed