Interview Dates Watch

This discussion is closed.
Pollo Loco
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
(Original post by mjf)
Dont write edinburgh off completely as it is a very nice vet school...have you been to look around? Summerhall is really old, and Easterbush is the complete opposite...the accommodation is also very good....what would be your first choice?

Yep been twice. Really liked both the city and Summerhall.

At the moment its a close call between Edinburgh and Cambridge for my first choice. If I was extremely lucky and got an offer from both (in my dreams) I'd have to think hard about which to accept.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Pollo Loco)
Yep been twice. Really liked both the city and Summerhall.

At the moment its a close call between Edinburgh and Cambridge for my first choice. If I was extremely lucky and got an offer from both (in my dreams) I'd have to think hard about which to accept.
Could I read your personal statement? What are you predicted?
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Could I read your personal statement? What are you predicted?
Not got personal statement to hand at the moment.

Prediction is A's for everything. Cambridge asked for point scores from all my AS modules.

Think that work experience could be important. Although I've not done massive amounts its been at various places i.e. abattoir, small animal practice, dairy farm, horses and couple weeks in research dept at a multi national chemical company etc.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Not got personal statement to hand at the moment.

Prediction is A's for everything. Cambridge asked for point scores from all my AS modules.

Think that work experience could be important. Although I've not done massive amounts its been at various places i.e. abattoir, small animal practice, dairy farm, horses and couple weeks in research dept at a multi national chemical company etc.
An abattoir??!?! I bet that was a valuable experience.
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ralfskini)
An abattoir??!?! I bet that was a valuable experience.
Yep think it might be a key experience.

Its not very pleasant (no surprise there) but a good chance to see the other side of things!
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yep think it might be a key experience.

Its not very pleasant (no surprise there) but a good chance to see the other side of things!
But is it relevant to veterinary medicine?
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
Definitely. If you visit any abattoir there is a vet who is employed by the Meat Hygiene Service (part of MAFF). His resposibility is to uphold the standards for food and animal welfare.

Experience in an abattoir also shows that you can cope with this type of situation (i.e. foot and mouth).

Its not a very good job, most of the vets I spoke to were from other coutries (Portugal and South America) and none thought it was an attractive career.
Psyche
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
To be a good practising vet, I think it's vital that you have a complex understanding of the industry in which you're working, whether it be with small animals, on a farm or in research. That's what visiting an abbattoir achieves - it puts it into perspective. For a lot of the vets out there, working on farms, it's their jobs to maintain the health of animals that will later be served up on someone's plate. At least, after visiting an abbatoir (ok, only for an hour), that's how I feel about it.

Problem with vet science is the waiting, some of my friends doing more mundane subjects have offers already.
I know that feeling so well. I was on of the first to get my UCAS form in at my school, and so many people have 3 or 4 offers already. I think it's worth it in the end though.

You've done so much more work experience than me, bah.
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by Psyche)
To be a good practising vet, I think it's vital that you have a complex understanding of the industry in which you're working, whether it be with small animals, on a farm or in research. That's what visiting an abbattoir achieves - it puts it into perspective. For a lot of the vets out there, working on farms, it's their jobs to maintain the health of animals that will later be served up on someone's plate. At least, after visiting an abbatoir (ok, only for an hour), that's how I feel about it.

I know that feeling so well. I was on of the first to get my UCAS form in at my school, and so many people have 3 or 4 offers already. I think it's worth it in the end though.

You've done so much more work experience than me, bah.
Work experience is viewed in different ways at different unis. I did 1 or 2 weeks at various places. Its the variety and not normally the duration thats important
Psyche
Badges: 0
Report 15 years ago
Work experience is viewed in different ways at different unis. I did 1 or 2 weeks at various places. Its the variety and not normally the duration thats important
Yes, yes; your list of places just sounds very impressive, that's all
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Yeh I did work in an abbatoir as well...I think it usually makes you stand out...shows that you are willing to understand what is involved and what is actually part of the vet med course..
Work experience is definately important for vet med, as it is that which separates candidates and what forms the basis of most interviews.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Psyche)
Yes, yes; your list of places just sounds very impressive, that's all
where have you done work experience? and for how long?
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Yeh I did work in an abbatoir as well...I think it usually makes you stand out...shows that you are willing to understand what is involved and what is actually part of the vet med course..
Work experience is definately important for vet med, as it is that which separates candidates and what forms the basis of most interviews.

Only problem I have is that I did the abattoir experience after I sent my UCAS app.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Only problem I have is that I did the abattoir experience after I sent my UCAS app.
Oh ok...well you seem to have got an interview at Bristol ok with what you have so I wouldnt worry....did you have a lot of extra curricula activities? Also can I ask what you r application number is? I just want to work out whether they have seen my form or not yet!! I was 154....u?
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Also when did you get a letter from Bristol?
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Oh ok...well you seem to have got an interview at Bristol ok with what you have so I wouldnt worry....did you have a lot of extra curricula activities? Also can I ask what you r application number is? I just want to work out whether they have seen my form or not yet!! I was 154....u?

Extra curricular, football play for school team. Music play viola for town orchestra and chamber orchestra. Sing with the town youth choir as well. Plus play/sing with various groups at school. Also recently played lead role in school production of Pirate of Penzance.

Not sure of app number. How do you find what it is?
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Extra curricular, football play for school team. Music play viola for town orchestra and chamber orchestra. Sing with the town youth choir as well. Plus play/sing with various groups at school. Also recently played lead role in school production of Pirate of Penzance.

Its your UCAs application mumber...e.g 000154-4
Pollo Loco
Rep:
?
(Original post by mjf)
Its your UCAs application mumber...e.g 000154-4
mine is 228 then.
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
mine is 228 then.
Oh right so they would have seen mine if they go in order...maybe they just dont want me!!
mjf
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

when did you get your letter from bristol?
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (281)
27.6%
No (737)
72.4%

Watched Threads