The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tek
Do they not realise that they'd be much better off putting their efforts into the 4 subjects they do at school?

That's what I thought! I'm happy with my 4 little ASs, 7 would probably kill me.

For my double science certificate, it says 'Double award science AA (aa)'
Reply 21
JuniperBlue

For my double science certificate, it says 'Double award science AA (aa)'

Yeh, mine says:

DOUBLE AWARD COURSE
SCIENCE: DOUBLE AWARD GRADE A*A*(a*a*)
Reply 22
JuniperBlue
That's what I thought! I'm happy with my 4 little ASs, 7 would probably kill me.

Yeah it does, I started out doing 5 A-levels, dropped IT to keep up with further maths, then dropped futher maths coz it was too hard. Came out of the exams with a B in maths and a C in further maths AS which means i missed my place at Oxford - believe me if you're not 100% sure you can get an A in all your A-levels don't do so many!
At my school we did ten as basic, but many people took Latin, French, and Maths a year early, which allows for GCSE Class. Civ, AS French, and Ad. Maths to be taken at the end of the GCSE year.
Reply 24
I did 13 GCSE's and 3 A levels plus an AS. Don't see the point in taking more, just increasing work loads.

A guy I know also has 3 maths A levels, all at grade A, plus 2 other grade A's, but he didn't get to Cambridge to do maths because he failed his STEP papers. Ah well, that brought him down a peg or two!
Reply 25
I did 12½ GCSEs (IT short course being the half), but I was the only one with that many, cos I did Latin as an extra a year early (what a loser! There were some others who did Latin too, but they didn't pass, so I don't know if it counts). There were quite a few who did 11½, about 8 of the 50 in our year, I guess.

I don't know anybody who did 7 ASs. I did 4 A2s, with Maths as fast track, so I finished it in one year. I could have gone on to do Further Maths, but I really didn't see the point - I wanted to go into Medicine (and I have) and didn't think that slaving my ass off for another year of Maths was worth it. I think the most anyone did at my school was 4.
Someone at my school did seven AS's and is looking to do six A2s (one of each is General Studies)
Reply 27
just out of interest how do the people that do 6 or 7 at school manage to timetable it and where the hell do they find the time. Is it mainly people that have lots of say maths a-levels or people that are fluent in languages?
At my school the max you could do was 5 because of they way they were timetabled and there was only 3 of us that did 4 A2's.

Also i would love to know peoples motivations for doing extra evening classes. There is obviously a point if your school doesn't do a subject you need or really want to learn but i'm trying to work out why people would want to torture themselves further and try and do a silly ammount of a-levels and if anyone knows people that have done a huge ammount of a-levels, did they manage to have a life or did they just end up working all the time?

I'm not trying to say it's right or wrong i'm just interested.
Reply 28
I did 12 GCSE's, well 11.5 but I round it up because the girl who beat me got 12 as she did Chinese GCSE but not full course IT like i did so she had 1/2 in IT and RE
Reply 29
loftx
I actually was thinking of counting double science as 1 GCSE (even though I know it is worth 2). also thanks for bringing my attention to short course GCSEs - hard forgotten all about them.

DOUBLE SCIENCE COUNTS AS 2 WHOLE GCSE'S.
WHEN YOU GET YOUR CERTIFICATE, IT COMES OUT AS "A* A*"

WELL, MINE DID ANYWAY. :wink:

ITS 2 GCSE'S NOT 1. HENCE "DOUBLE AWARD" HINT HINT

A SHORT COURSE COUNTS AS A WHOLE GCSE. THE FACT THAT ITS A SHORT COURSE IS IRRELVANT, COZ THE IDEA IS THAT PEOPLE DO 9 FULL COURSES AND 1 SHORT COURSE BUT GET 10 WHOLE GCSE QUAKIFICATIONS FROM IT.
Reply 30
loftx
Sorry 1 more question - I seem to recall someone talking triple science, Is this valued as 3 GCSE's? Also are there any other strange GCSE anomalies i may have missed?

Thanks everyone for the quick replies

Tom

TRIPLE WARD SCIENCE IS WORTH 3 FULL GCSE QUALIFICATIONS.

HENCE "TRIPLE AWARD"....EXAM SHEET: "A* A* A*"

GETTING THE PICTURE NOW?
alex_123
DOUBLE SCIENCE COUNTS AS 2 WHOLE GCSE'S.
WHEN YOU GET YOUR CERTIFICATE, IT COMES OUT AS "A* A*"

WELL, MINE DID ANYWAY. :wink:

ITS 2 GCSE'S NOT 1. HENCE "DOUBLE AWARD" HINT HINT

A SHORT COURSE COUNTS AS A WHOLE GCSE. THE FACT THAT ITS A SHORT COURSE IS IRRELVANT, COZ THE IDEA IS THAT PEOPLE DO 9 FULL COURSES AND 1 SHORT COURSE BUT GET 10 WHOLE GCSE QUAKIFICATIONS FROM IT.

a short course is not a whole GCSE, its worth roughly half. What are you talking about?
Reply 32
DanMushMan
a short course is not a whole GCSE, its worth roughly half. What are you talking about?

WELL WHY IS IT THAT WHEN U GET THE SLIP BACK:
IT SAYS "A" NO INDICATION OF HALF.

WELL, I DID 10 FULL, BUT I KNOW ANOTHER KID AT ANOTHER SCHOOL WHO DID 9 AND A SHORT COURSE, BUT IT STILL SAYS:

BALHHHH BLAHHH....A. IT DOESNT EVEN SAY AHLF GCSE OR ANYTHING.
alex_123
WELL WHY IS IT THAT WHEN U GET THE SLIP BACK:
IT SAYS "A" NO INDICATION OF HALF.

WELL, I DID 10 FULL, BUT I KNOW ANOTHER KID AT ANOTHER SCHOOL WHO DID 9 AND A SHORT COURSE, BUT IT STILL SAYS:

BALHHHH BLAHHH....A. IT DOESNT EVEN SAY AHLF GCSE OR ANYTHING.

it says short course for a reason, and if you have the ability to turn your certificate over, it says a short course is worth roughly half. Its not rocket science.
Reply 34
DanMushMan
it says short course for a reason, and if you have the ability to turn your certificate over, it says a short course is worth roughly half. Its not rocket science.

but i didnt do a short course.

ohh yes:

GOIN LOKO.....DOWN IN ACAPULCO!!!!!!!!!! LAA LAAAA
alex_123
but i didnt do a short course.

ohh yes:

GOIN LOKO.....DOWN IN ACAPULCO!!!!!!!!!! LAA LAAAA

it still says it on the back, and if you don't even know what it is then don't talk about it
Reply 36
short course is the equivalent to half a GCSE the most common courses being thoses in RE and IT. if you've not done one why are you arguing with people that have and have actually bothered to read their certificates.
loftx
Are there people out there who take 12 gcses or 7 alevels (including AS's)? Is it very rare? Personally I don't know on anyone who has done either but I need to know for some stuff I am doing on my website, so can anyone give me an idea of how rare it is for people to take this many.

Cheers

Tom

Yes I took 20 GCSE's and am currently doing 9 A-Levels predicted to get AAAAAAAAA
Reply 38
loftx
Are there people out there who take 12 gcses or 7 alevels (including AS's)? Is it very rare? Personally I don't know on anyone who has done either but I need to know for some stuff I am doing on my website, so can anyone give me an idea of how rare it is for people to take this many.

Cheers

Tom

I have taken 12 GCSEs
Reply 39
How come so many ppl on this site get like 10A*s and etc on GCSEs....but dont get like AAAA at AS ? i got 6A 3B at GCSE....and AAAAB at AS level....and worked harder for my GCSEs......

Latest

Trending

Trending