The Student Room Group

LSE or London Business School

I've been accepted to the MSc in Management and Regulation of Risk at LSE and to the Masters in Management at London Business School.

Can anyone help me choose? I know LSE is more academic and LBS more professional. LBS offers a general Management program and in current market condition it could be better to have a wider set of skills but on the other hand since risk management lies at the heart of the crisis, with the proper knowledge in this area I could increase my employability.

Moreover the Masters in Management at LBS is a new course introduced 2009/2010 so i can't know how good it is untill i go out there trying to get a job afterwards. However the reputation of the school would back me up.

Please, if someone knows more on the topic, I'd appreciate any help

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

LSE all the way!
Reply 2
Any specific reasons like easier to find a job, more focused skills or you just like LSE more?
Reply 3
LSE - better rep!
Reply 4
LSE is a good school (all name really) but i think LBS will give you more connections. a lot of people are going back to places like LBS to get that post grad because of the recession. where did you do you undergrad?
Congrats, LSE without a doubt, better reputation globally, both alumni and general academia.
Reply 6
I'm getting my undergraduate degree from Bocconi University, Milan.

I know LSE has an amazing reputation but isn't it more academically oriented? Social sciences and economics is its specialty. LBS is more professionally oriented, I know they work closely with many employers and the whole program is designed to suit the needs of employers.
Reply 7
I would go for LBS. LSE does indeed have a fantastic reputation, but LBS is the place to study Business in London - it is the second best business school in the world and trumps anything else the UK has to offer. The connections you make there will be fabulous, and the prospect of landing a job after graduation would be near enough guaranteed.

LBS all the way.
Reply 8
congrats on your offer. both are very good schools and you can't go wrong with either. Personally, I would pick LBS simply because of the network and opportunities that it offers. I'll also take a different stand on reputation, and argue that LBS is more renowed in the business and financial sector simply because of its outstanding MBA programme. The MIM, being a new programme, might have its problems though as it usually the case for new course. Eitherway, both schools will get you an interview at the end of the day, and then its up to you to use the skills you have gained to get the job.
Reply 9
Ok, as far as the schools go we've established that LBS is more for business and finance which is what i'm after. What do you think about the courses given current market events? Better to go general or specific like Risk Management?
Reply 10
well employers always seem more concered with the school you go to, rather than the course you study (hence why you find zoology students from oxbridge in the city). Unless risk management is what you want to dedicate your career to, than I see no reason why to choose it over LBS. I think a Master in Management is also more renowed in europe than a risk management degree. but yeah, as I said already, you cant go wrong with either, and specific vs general won't make much of a difference in employability.
Reply 11
Thanks a lot, it helps to get some outside unbiased opinion :smile: You're probably right about that Risk Management, I'm not sure if i want to really work in that area in the future. I just thought that current market events offer an opportunity for someone with a modern view on risk. But general Management will give me more choice, plus LBS really focuses on employability, there are many career and professional development "courses" where students focus on interviews, cv and preparation for professional life.
Reply 12
I agree with Aemilius regarding course choice.

For as far as choosing the schools is concerned: there is little, if any, difference between LSE and LBS reputation wise. All the top City employers recruit actively from both. However, LBS is primarily a post-experience school. The big advantage here is the presence of many, many people with years of experience in the City. This gives you very attractive network oportunities, which in turn could prove very helpful in landing a job afterwards. Also note that the sheer number of grads at LSE is higher and so a LSE degree may distinguish you less than a LBS degree
Reply 13
heyyy AND1...u said u r getting ur undergrad degree right...???
so u got in LBS....w/o any work exp....?
thats good......even i am plannin for the same course....pls guide...wat was ur gmat score?
Reply 14
I would choose LBS for a few simple reasons: 1) it is a postgraduate university, much more serious, the lecturers u get are at a different level, everything is more professional. 2) I know LSE has a big name, however, LBS is much bigger, not with undergraduate etc.. but if you go to PE conferences etc.. you'd find most to be LBS MBA alumni... not necessarily anything to do with LSE.. 3) currently ranked no.1 Global MBA! can u believe it,, above HBS etc. 4) most importantly: LSE is a much larger uni.. with people who study geography etc.. and many undergraduates.. by having LBS on ur CV, u will stick out more.. what i mean to say is that it's not as common as seeing LSE.

but either way, just be happy with your choice, and both would be able to open all the doors for you :biggrin:
Reply 15
LBS, no doubt.
Reply 16
Lbs!
Reply 17
by the way, can you tell me which one you finally took up? i got same dilemma for LSE?MSc Management and LBS MiM. 1 vs 2 years..

but I am aiming to work in the US after, although EU citizen..

thanks!
For the US go for LSE. For Europe go for LBS.
Reply 19
LBS, definitely. It's the better business school and more established than LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending