Most competetive courses? Watch

This discussion is closed.
No Future
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Of these, which would you say is the most competetive course? (In general, it varies from uni to uni). Additional comments appreciated.
JaF
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would say Law and then Medicine.
trev
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Medicine and law is the most competitive in my opinion. For medicine, there are limited of places in each university.
Ridgeback
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Veterinary Medicine - there's only six in the country to choose from and then we can only apply to four!
Xanthe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would have thought it was Foreign Languages...
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Foreign languages? You've got to be kidding me. No one speaks them any more. I wish I'd applied for joint honours English and French, because it would have given me a much better chance of getting into my first choice than straight English.

English was ridiculous this year. Some of the top unis were getting nearly 30 apps per place.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Medicine and law is the most competitive in my opinion. For medicine, there are limited of places in each university.
Umm, every course has a limited number of places, hon. :rolleyes:
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Vet Med...honestly.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by susiemakemeblue)
True, however, some courses can go over the limit. For courses like Medicine, they hardly go over the limit for places.
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
True, however, some courses can go over the limit. For courses like Medicine, they hardly go over the limit for places.
trust me...it's even worse for vet.
Cellardore
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
has this not already been done? How original.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I suppose it is possible that at a rubbish university one course might be able to take a few more people because some of the other courses are so undersubscribed there will still be enough accommodation for everyone....

But not in any half way decent university. And certainly not for even a mildly competitive course.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I suppose it is possible that at a rubbish university one course might be able to take a few more people because some of the other courses are so undersubscribed there will still be enough accommodation for everyone....

But not in any half way decent university. And certainly not for even a mildly competitive course.
It seems that most ex-poly uni's have places left for a lot of courses, and some don't get filled up although people accepted them through their firm, insurance, or clearing.

I know some decent uni's have spaces left and they are willing to fill their spaces up for people who miss one grade or apply through clearing with the correct place when they got rejected.
leggielass
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Vet science and physiotherapy.
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
It seems that most ex-poly uni's have places left for a lot of courses, and some don't get filled up although people accepted them through their firm, insurance, or clearing.

I know some decent uni's have spaces left and they are willing to fill their spaces up for people who miss one grade or apply through clearing with the correct place when they got rejected.
That doesn't mean they don't have a limited number of places. If the limit is 50 and they have 30, then there's space. But not unlimited space. If the limit is 50 and they have 51, they can only take 50.

The reason people sometimes get let in when they miss a grade or two is because universities have to do a certain amount of guess work when they make their offers. They have to estimate how many people they make offers to will choose that university as their firm, and of those, how many people will make the grades. It's probably very unusual for them to get it exactly right, because they have no way of predicting those things. They might make 4 offers per place on the assumption that 1 in 4 both choose them as firm and make their grades, or choose them as insurance and miss the grades for their firm. But if everyone chooses them as firm and makes their grades, they have to take them all and that means they have problems. On the other side of the coin, if 1 in 6 choose them as firm, they will probably be able to take anyone who misses their grades, and might even have places in clearing.

But the course still has a limited number of places. Sometimes they have to go over the limit if they make too many offers, (as they are legally bound to honour all offers if people meet the conditions) but the consequences aren't pretty. It's a bit like exceeding your overdraft limit. You can do it, but you get a bank charge and stroppy letters.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Do they also estimate how many people they make offers to will choose that university as their insurance too as well as forum too?

What is the typical course size when they accept students?

Is it possible to ask the admissions tutor how many people have accepted the course as firm and/or insurance, and also how many people applied for the course too? Will they answer that?
Apricot Fairy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
Do they also estimate how many people they make offers to will choose that university as their insurance too as well as forum too?

What is the typical course size when they accept students?

Is it possible to ask the admissions tutor how many people have accepted the course as firm and/or insurance, and also how many people applied for the course too? Will they answer that?
What good could that possibly do? By that point you will have either chosen them or not chosen them, and all you can do is try and get your grades. It's the only way to guarantee getting in. You can find statistics on how many people applied for each course. English at Warwick this year was 2,800 apps for 100 places. Bristol was pretty close to that as well. But a really unpopular course at a not very good university will have something like 0.2 apps per place, and you're pretty much guaranteed to get in. These are the courses you see in clearing.

Typical course sizes could be anything. You need to look up the specific course you are interested in. If you can't find any stats, I'm sure the admissions dept would tell you if you cared enough to ask them.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
for Medicine it's a government imposed quota, not a university decision though.
trev
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
for Medicine it's a government imposed quota, not a university decision though.
I'm just curious, what is the imposed quota for medicine?
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I'm just curious, what is the imposed quota for medicine?

erm, it varies from medical school to school & then year to year i imagine, with the number of places generally increasing - but still unis are fined if they go over i think. the economics/politics of it isn't really my thing, so i don't have precise facts & figures for you, sorry!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1365)
79.73%
Leave (347)
20.27%

Watched Threads