Most competetive courses? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Apricot Fairy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
More competitive than English? Sorry mate, I think not.
swallows
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
English is one of THE most competitive subjects, Warwick had something like 3000 applicants for 100 places this year.
Onearmedbandit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It's funny how everyone thinks their own course is the most competetive :p:
Wings_cp
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Surely a major factor in how competitive a course is how many applicants there are to places?????

I read in the times last year there were 25000 law applicants fighting for 12000 places in the UK. They said law had the most applicants last year.

I reckon because of the even less number of places, Medicine might be very close slightly ahead or slightly behind.
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Wings_cp)
Surely a major factor in how competitive a course is how many applicants there are to places?????

I read in the times last year there were 25000 law applicants fighting for 12000 places in the UK. They said law had the most applicants last year.

I reckon because of the even less number of places, Medicine might be very close slightly ahead or slightly behind.
Mmm and that's for every law school! How competetive must it be for the top 40 ones? :eek: I'm sure, of those 25,000 applicants, the majority would have applied to somewhere in the top 40.
Elles
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Onearmedbandit)
Mmm and that's for every law school! How competetive must it be for the top 40 ones? :eek: I'm sure, of those 25,000 applicants, the majority would have applied to somewhere in the top 40.
ah, but for medicine you don't even have the luxury of applying to a 'non top' school, given there are comparitively so few & the grade requirements give little leeway, being fairly uniformly ABB-AAA..
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
ah, but for medicine you don't even have the luxury of applying to a 'non top' school, given there are comparitively so few & the grade requirements give little leeway, being fairly uniformly ABB-AAA..
Find a top 30 law school with entry requirements under AAB :p:
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
that is precisely my point.. your obsession with "top" - we're talking about courses in general & for Law i imagine you can study it at various places with grades below AAB..

your evident feelings that it's only worth doing at a "top" institution are something other than the scope of this thread, as i interpret it..
Onearmedbandit
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Elles)
that is precisely my point.. your obsession with "top" - we're talking about courses in general & for Law i imagine you can study it at various places with grades below AAB.

your evident feelings that it's only worth doing at a "top" institution are something other than the scope of this thread, as i interpret it..
I wouldn't say it's not worth studying law elsewhere... but it'd be pretty tough if you want to become a lawyer.

But yeah, I should admit I didn't know there were so few medical schools. :eek: I guess they're very expensive to maintain.

If we want more doctors and stuff... shouldn't the government offer more funding to develop new medical schools?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think elles mentioned somewhere else that its not just the number of new doctors which the problem, you need thousands of people to teach medicine. It is such a vast area that you need lots of people with a huge amount of knowledge which costs a lot of money.
Elles
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I accept your concession that there are indeed, elatively fewer medical schools.. though PQ makes a very valid point.

anyway, i have way too much time on my hands :p: , so in the mood for some deconstruction:

...Find a top 30 law school with entry requirements under AAB
so, joining these two statements of yours, could we take it that a top 40 law school would be wanting ~ AACc? because this works out rather neatly at 360 points, for my further stat. manipulation purposes..

then doing a little UCAS number crunching*

Law applicants with 360+ = 38%

not entirely sure this does constitute a majority applying to these "top" law schools? unless they just ignore the requirements & apply anyway.. & incidentally - does everyone studying law want to be a lawyer? :eek:

Medicine (A1) applicants with 360+ = 62%

which i think generally supports my original point that the fact medicine is offered by fewer universities & with a narrower range of applicants may mean prospective applicants feel it's not even worth applying without being in this higher tariff.

* 2003 online data, for tariffs for M & then A1 all applicants - though it's possible with my lack of wizardry & the limited online data that slight errors have arisen from the use of these subject line codes & the assumption the overseas students are of comparable standards because i couldn't see how to discount them? & can scan in my workings & data used if you're interested.. & am always welcome to corrections from anyone more proficient in stats than me!

(Original post by you again!)
It's funny how everyone thinks their own course is the most competetive..
if you check I haven't actually voted.. because I'm well aware Medicine is my own course but hearing other people make the case for theirs I do like to weigh that up against a procedure I know..
eurasianfeline
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
try finding more than 6 vet schools in UK. :rolleyes:
silver~planet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'd say medicine, mainly because a lot of my friends applied to do it, and were rejected by a number of places even though they're great people and high achievers
Most subjects are hard to get into at uni nowadays though. English has a high rejection rate too. And law.
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by eurasianfeline)
try finding more than 6 vet schools in UK. :rolleyes:
:confused: There are 7 (plus one in Eire)

UK
Bristol University
Cambridge University
Glasgow University
Liverpool University
Queen's University, Belfast
The Royal (****) School of Veterinary Studies, Edinburgh University
Royal Veterinary College, London

Eire:
University College Dublin
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fluffy)
:confused: There are 7 (plus one in Eire)

UK
Bristol University
Cambridge University
Glasgow University
Liverpool University
Queen's University, Belfast
The Royal (****) School of Veterinary Studies, Edinburgh University
Royal Veterinary College, London

Eire:
University College Dublin
Queen's doesn't have vet med
Fluffy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by eurasianfeline)
Queen's doesn't have vet med
My bad - it's vet science

http://www.qub.ac.uk/afs/vs/index.html
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

i know dear. it's ok.
Hawk
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Phew! I thought I had made a major overlook and never noticed my home uni did VetMed.
They don't even do VetSci, they have a VetSci department but don't teach it lol.

Regarding most competitive courses I would say,
1 - Dentistry
2 - VetMed
3 - Med
4 - Law
eurasianfeline
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Hawk)
Phew! I thought I had made a major overlook and never noticed my home uni did VetMed.
They don't even do VetSci, they have a VetSci department but don't teach it lol.

Regarding most competitive courses I would say,
1 - Dentistry
2 - VetMed
3 - Med
4 - Law
:rofl:

don't we vets rock?!
RxB
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
PPE's easy to get in. Don't do it.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1130)
79.02%
Leave (300)
20.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise