The Student Room Group
no im pretty sure they arent the same thing. arctan is the inverse function of tan (tan^-1) and cot is just 1/tan so they can't be the same

sorry if that made no sense
Reply 2
waterlily (:
no im pretty sure they arent the same thing. arctan is the inverse function of tan (tan^-1) and cot is just 1/tan so they can't be the same

sorry if that made no sense

isnt that the same thing?
1/tangent(x) = [tangent(x)]^-1 = cotangent

The cotangent function is the reciprocal of the tangent function.

let x=tangent(y)

y = arctangent(x) = tangent^-1(x)

The arctangent function is the inverse of the tangent function.

Hope that helps.
Crabman
isnt that the same thing?

no they are not the same thing i just cant explain it well. ):
i always thought they wasn't :|
Reply 6
tan1x\newline \tan^{-1} x is the inverse of tanx\tan x, so tan(tan1x)=tan1(tanx)=x\tan (\tan^{-1} x) = \tan^{-1} (\tan x) = x
cotx\newline \cot x is the reciprocal of tanx\tan x, so tanxcotx=cotxtanx=1\tan x \cot x = \cot x \tan x = 1
Reply 7
ablendofdrei
1/tangent(x) = [tangent(x)]^-1 = cotangent

The cotangent function is the reciprocal of the tangent function.

let x=tangent(y)

y = arctangent(x) = tangent^-1(x)

The arctangent function is the inverse of the tangent function.

Hope that helps.

that made perfect sense

thanks!!!
Reply 8
Nuodai got there before me.
He's correct.
it didnt, No offense, 1/x = x^ -1 are both inversesx x^-1 =1 and x 1/x =1 (in ANY MATH a multiplicative inverse, is a number that gives you the Identity when you multiply it. in Multiplication the Identitity is 1.) So, for x,y,z, anything, stuff....stuff × 1= stuffstuff × 1/stuff = 1stuff × stuff^-1 therefore 1/stuff = stuff^-1I KNOW THAT, just not sure why we have cotan and arctan if they do the same thing.
Reply 10
Original post by Logic Λόγος
it didnt, No offense, 1/x = x^ -1 are both inversesx x^-1 =1 and x 1/x =1 (in ANY MATH a multiplicative inverse, is a number that gives you the Identity when you multiply it. in Multiplication the Identitity is 1.) So, for x,y,z, anything, stuff....stuff × 1= stuffstuff × 1/stuff = 1stuff × stuff^-1 therefore 1/stuff = stuff^-1I KNOW THAT, just not sure why we have cotan and arctan if they do the same thing.

This is a very old thread. If you have a question / comment then please start a new thread.

Thread closed.

Latest