Watch
This discussion is closed.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
DANMM AND OTHER CAMBRIDGE HEADS PLEASE LOOK AT THIS!
What did you wear?
I wore a suit (with a skirt rather than trousers), because my school was a great believer in suits for everything in 6th form. Some other people were in suits, others were just in smart casual. I didn't have to sit an exam or anything while I was there though - I was going for medicine so we had already taken the MVAT.

I know appearances shouldn't matter, but I think they do to an extent. They're not going to reject you if you don't come in a suit, but it's always a good idea to look smartish. If you're really uncomfortable in a suit (which I wasn't, was pretty much accustomed to it) then don't wear one as it'll make you feel awkward. It's up to the individual though.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Thanks Helenia, I'll stick to my plan then...
:P:P:P:P:P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by ZJuwelH)
Thanks Helenia, I'll stick to my plan then...
So what are people gonna wear for their cam interviews? And who/if anyone is gonna come with you? My mum has asked whether I want her to come with me but Im not sure lol. If everyone else is gonna be on their own and I walk in with my mum ill never live it down lol.
figgetyfig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Smart trusers and a shirt. definietely not high heels as they make clicking noises when i walk on hard floors and that will make me really self conscious!
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by :P:P:P:P:P)
So what are people gonna wear for their cam interviews? And who/if anyone is gonna come with you? My mum has asked whether I want her to come with me but Im not sure lol. If everyone else is gonna be on their own and I walk in with my mum ill never live it down lol.
Last year I wore a blue polo neck and black trousers for my interview. My dad gave me a lift to Cambridge, but I went into the college alone. One tip - it's a very good idea to check out in plenty of time where exactly in the college your interviews will be, that way you will have one less thing to worry about when it actually comes to it and won't be stressing about getting lost (this is from someone who has an almost non-existent sense of direction and is rubbish at remembering verbal instructions!)
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wht colour shirt do you reckon? Tucked in or not tucked in? A Tie or unbuttoned at the top? Do first impressions really count as much as people say they do?

Im not used to all this poshness lol...
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Last year I wore a blue polo neck and black trousers for my interview. My dad gave me a lift to Cambridge, but I went into the college alone. One tip - it's a very good idea to check out in plenty of time where exactly in the college your interviews will be, that way you will have one less thing to worry about when it actually comes to it and won't be stressing about getting lost (this is from someone who has an almost non-existent sense of direction and is rubbish at remembering verbal instructions!)
Dont they take u there? After you sign in arent there people showing u the way to the room? God Im gonna get lost if there arent lol
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Wht colour shirt do you reckon? Tucked in or not tucked in? A Tie or unbuttoned at the top? Do first impressions really count as much as people say they do?

Im not used to all this poshness lol...
Either, as long as it looks smart. They're not going to reject you for not wearing a tie, but you do want to look like you've made an effort. As for the poshness, it goes severely downhill after interview! Apart, of course, from gowns at formals etc :rolleyes:

In my college it wasn't hard to find the room - they gave us a staircase and room number, so it's easy enough. If it's not immediately obvious though, you might want to ask the porters when you get there, so you know in advance!
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
Either, as long as it looks smart. They're not going to reject you for not wearing a tie, but you do want to look like you've made an effort. As for the poshness, it goes severely downhill after interview! Apart, of course, from gowns at formals etc :rolleyes:

In my college it wasn't hard to find the room - they gave us a staircase and room number, so it's easy enough. If it's not immediately obvious though, you might want to ask the porters when you get there, so you know in advance!
Hopefully Ill be alrite want to leave myself plenty of time in case I get there really late and make a realy bad first impression and Id be all stressy lol

Are gowns a pain then? I hope you dont have to buy one ... I would refuse lol. Coming from a non selective comp I dont see the point in wearing a gown for formal hall.
Minta
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Dont they take u there? After you sign in arent there people showing u the way to the room? God Im gonna get lost if there arent lol

There weren't last year at St Catharine's. I just got sent a map of the college and information about which rooms my interviews were in, then on the day I went in early to find where I was supposed to go. Glad I did, as the instructions the porter gave me were very convoluted and confusing!
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Hopefully Ill be alrite want to leave myself plenty of time in case I get there really late and make a realy bad first impression and Id be all stressy lol

Are gowns a pain then? I hope you dont have to buy one ... I would refuse lol. Coming from a non selective comp I dont see the point in wearing a gown for formal hall.
Trinity is surely not the only college that does not wear gowns at formal hall?
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It depends on the college - at Clare you only officially have to wear them at matric dinner, halfway hall and graduation (for which you can hire them), plus for choir practice if you're in the choir, but lots of people buy them and wear them for formal anyway, and at other colleges where it's compulsory to wear gowns to formal, you fit in more if you have one. Some colleges like Churchill barely wear theirs at all. In a weird way it's sort of fun - part of the Cambridge experience and all, although I did feel like I was wearing a sign saying "Beat me up" when I had to go into town wearing it the other day (my friend needed to get money before we went to Trinity formal).

I'm not entirely sure if it has anything to do with the school you come from - I went to private school and we never had gowns so it's all new to me as well!

Trinity is surely not the only college that does not wear gowns at formal hall?
When I was at Trinity, they did wear them! I don't know about many other colleges though, only what I've heard from my dissection table buddies.
yawn1
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It depends on the college - at Clare you only officially have to wear them at matric dinner, halfway hall and graduation (for which you can hire them), plus for choir practice if you're in the choir, but lots of people buy them and wear them for formal anyway, and at other colleges where it's compulsory to wear gowns to formal, you fit in more if you have one. Some colleges like Churchill barely wear theirs at all. In a weird way it's sort of fun - part of the Cambridge experience and all, although I did feel like I was wearing a sign saying "Beat me up" when I had to go into town wearing it the other day (my friend needed to get money before we went to Trinity formal).

I'm not entirely sure if it has anything to do with the school you come from - I went to private school and we never had gowns so it's all new to me as well!

When I was at Trinity, they did wear them! I don't know about many other colleges though, only what I've heard from my dissection table buddies.
They don't wear them now - according to friends info. plus 'formal hall photograph' on college prospectus! Obviously the tradition has changed.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I meant when I was at Trinity formal hall last week. Don't think too much has changed since then.
grace
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
erm, yeah, when considering what to wear i'v discovered i'm in kind of a predicament...do you think it would be better to wear something that accentuates attractiveness (i'm not talking about dressing like a tart, just something that shows the fact that i'm a female) or would it be better to geek it up a bit so that my intelligence is the only factor? i want cambridge to want me for my mind, but at the same time i know i'm not a ming and this has often worked to my advantage...?
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
Err I'm probably wearing a shirt, trousers and shoes. Not like I ain't made an effort. I would much rather go by myself but my dad asked my little brother to accompany me for some reason. I'm going to try and get out of that...
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by grace)
erm, yeah, when considering what to wear i'v discovered i'm in kind of a predicament...do you think it would be better to wear something that accentuates attractiveness (i'm not talking about dressing like a tart, just something that shows the fact that i'm a female) or would it be better to geek it up a bit so that my intelligence is the only factor? i want cambridge to want me for my mind, but at the same time i know i'm not a ming and this has often worked to my advantage...?
It's your choice. By no means cover everything up and dress like a nun if you don't want to. I wore a fairly short skirt, but that was just part of my suit. The interview I had with two men, I was sat behind a table, so it didn't matter anyway. Besides, I'm not so attractive, so I wasn't considering it at the time.

By all means dress attractively, I guess, but as you've already said, not like a tart. It may work to your advantage, but you've got to have the brains (or something resembling them, as I'm sure I'm here by accident) as well!
J.S.
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
It's your choice. By no means cover everything up and dress like a nun if you don't want to. I wore a fairly short skirt, but that was just part of my suit. The interview I had with two men, I was sat behind a table, so it didn't matter anyway. Besides, I'm not so attractive, so I wasn't considering it at the time.

By all means dress attractively, I guess, but as you've already said, not like a tart. It may work to your advantage, but you've got to have the brains (or something resembling them, as I'm sure I'm here by accident) as well!

A skirt that that is of a similar size to a handkerchief. Also, be sure to show plenty of cleavage and put on lots of make up. Then, entry will depend on the small matter of finding an all male interview panel. I'd say your chances are pretty high.

Regards, J.S.
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
I meant when I was at Trinity formal hall last week. Don't think too much has changed since then.
Nope, not as far as I know either... Don't think King's have to wear them though, could that have been what was meant? Trinity DEFINITELY do. Either that or my friend is tricking me into the Hall of another college every time I go over for formal... At most colleges you do have to wear a gown at formals but it isn't a big deal, in fact it's kind of a novelty. The only slight difficulty is keeping the long sleeves out of your soup... Oh yes, and looking like a ponce if you need to go into the town when you're still wearing it!
grace
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 17 years ago
(Original post by J.S.)
A skirt that that is of a similar size to a handkerchief. Also, be sure to show plenty of cleavage and put on lots of make up. Then, entry will depend on the small matter of finding an all male interview panel. I'd say your chances are pretty high.

Regards, J.S.
i wasn't being stupid, nor was i implying that i would use my 'feminine attributes' to manipulate the interviewers. I was merely inquiring, which is perfectly legitimate. It is a well known fact that in certain situations people are predisposed to more attractive specimen...i was just wondering if cambridge discriminates AGAINST looks. It is a popular theory among many of my friends that a typical 'cambridge girl' is geeky, fat and shortsided ( this is NOT MY OPINION, PLEASE DO NOT TAKE OFFENCE AND CHASTISE ME!!!!) and i was just wondering if there was any validity to this? If a candidate arrives for an interview looking as though they take pride in their appearance, keep up with fashion etc and makes the most of the looks they posses would this cause the misconception that they are shallow, dappy etc? that was all i was wondering!!!!!!!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (66)
11.91%
Virtual campus tours/open days (136)
24.55%
Live streaming events (47)
8.48%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (52)
9.39%
A uni comparison tool (129)
23.29%
An in-person event when available (124)
22.38%