The Student Room Group

How long does it take to learn ABRSM grade 5 theory?

hey :biggrin:

In order to take ABRSM music exams after grade 5 you need to have passed grade 5 theory.
I am not that good at theory, but would like to know about how long it would take to get to grade 5 level? Would it be poss to do this in a couple of months?

Thanks
Yes, as long as you work hard for it. I'm taking mine next Saturday, eek.
You can take Trinity Guildhall exams up past G5 without having theory.. I think you only need it for G8 on Trinity Guildhall, so maybe use that board? It doesn't really make any difference.
However, I started the G1 book in about Y9, I got my G5 in Y12 (just in time!) but could have done it a lot quicker. It depends on how much you already know to be honest, but if you're up to G5 practical, you should know a fair bit already.
Reply 3
It took me about 4 months to do mine, but that was during GCSE. If you've got your summer free to devote some time to it, I think you definitely could. You will need a tutor though to help you if you are going to do it in a couple of months.
It took me a few months because I'm not too hot on theory, either. I had a few theory lessons and got some past papers, but it took me longer than two months! However, that's a fair amount of time in which to learn the stuff so I'd say of course you could learn it in two months. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
I only started two weeks ago and my exam is in 18 days! Luckily, my mum is a music teacher and I am grade 6 in saxophone so I already knew a lot, but it depends on the teacher and how many hours you practice for.
If you've been doing your grades up to this point, you'll find you actually know most of the theory anyway - it's just not been formalised as such. You shouldn't find it too difficult, so don't worry about it.

Quick Reply

Latest